Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplay Light Action -- unclear on the concept

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 11:26 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, so I just switched from DuraAce Look and have Speedplay Light Action but am having some problems unclipping.

I followed the installation directions and the retaining clips on the cleats seem to freely float from the "Heel In" to the "Heel Out" positions, as indicated by the little pointers attached on the clips. Is this by design and is it what provides for the free rotation of the heel and isolation of the knee from twisting forces during pedaling?

The problem is that I sometimes have a hard time disengaging as it feels like I have to excessively rotate my heel out. It feels like I am rotating my heel 45 degrees, and yet sometimes it won't unclip. Have I done something wrong? Does the Look pedal just have a more obvious disengagement?

Also, if the retaining clip is supposed to move freely, what is the function of the pointer and the "Heel In" and "Heel Out" labels on the cleat?

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-13-11, 12:42 AM
abstractform20

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
Okay, so I just switched from DuraAce Look and have Speedplay Light Action but am having some problems unclipping.

I followed the installation directions and the retaining clips on the cleats seem to freely float from the "Heel In" to the "Heel Out" positions, as indicated by the little pointers attached on the clips. Is this by design and is it what provides for the free rotation of the heel and isolation of the knee from twisting forces during pedaling?

The problem is that I sometimes have a hard time disengaging as it feels like I have to excessively rotate my heel out. It feels like I am rotating my heel 45 degrees, and yet sometimes it won't unclip. Have I done something wrong? Does the Look pedal just have a more obvious disengagement?

Also, if the retaining clip is supposed to move freely, what is the function of the pointer and the "Heel In" and "Heel Out" labels on the cleat?

Thanks for any help!
the light actions have 15 degrees of non-adjustable float; the zeros have 15 degrees of float (incrementally, from 0-15).
Old 09-13-11, 05:00 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Look (I'm not sure what Dura Ace...which is Shimano....Look is as they are two separate companies and systems) offers three cleats. Red with 9 degrees of float, Grey with 4.5 degrees of float and come stock with new pedals, and Black with no float. Speedplay Light Action have a lot more float than the Red Look cleat (I don't know what you had). So that may be part of your problem. And the Light Action's are easier to get into. Much more so than the Zeros which are really stiff...one big difference between Speedplay and everyone else is that everyone else allows you to adjust the tension to get into and out of the pedals. Speedplay does it with the pedal itself. Zeros are stiff, Light Action less so, and if you don't like how easy is is to clip in or out, you go to a different pedal. Versus a Look Keo where most of them have a adjuster screw on the back, or in the case of the Blades, the blade controls the tension.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 09-13-11 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-13-11, 06:40 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it is a bit late, but I would have gone with the Zeros as opposed to the Light Action. The cleat won't snap out until you've gone all the way through the range of float, which is not adjustable on the light action right? The Zeros you can dial some of that float in so you clip out faster.

As for the indicators on the cleat, I'm not really sure. On the Zero cleats there are screws there so you can adjust heel in and heel out float via setting the screws. There is a little tab that floats in-between the screws. Not sure why those labels are there on the light action cleats, unless they are similar enough Speedplay uses the same yellow part from Zero cleats. Not sure as I've not seen them.

I guess some people have problems with the Zero's being too hard to clip into, but I've found they loosen up after a few days. Anyway, I'm sorry the Light Actions aren't working out for you, but you'll just have to live with having to turn your foot quite a bit to clip out.

Also, make sure that the cleat screws are engaged at the correct torque. The retaining clip acts as a spring of sorts and needs to have some play in it. Screws that are too tight or too loose can cause problems.
Old 09-13-11, 06:41 AM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Light Actions are awesome. They come out really easy but they wont pull out. I switched to them a few years ago after trying EVERY pedal under the sun. I wasnt a big fan of the X2s because the cleats would get crap all in them but the Light Actions are better about that. They still get crap in them but banging them on the side of your pedal knocks most of the stuff out.
Old 09-13-11, 10:57 AM
Ghouse

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix2 SRAM RED - Specialized Epic Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
remember, THERE IS A BREAK IN PERIOD FOR SPEEDPLAY CLEATS.

I use both Light Action (on my commuter) and Zeros (on my racer). Light action are by far the easiest pedals to clip in and out of without the fear of clipping out accidentally. The break in for Zeros are a bit longer and they definitely take more effort to get out, but once they break in, clipping in/out becomes second nature. When I install new cleats, after about 3 or 4 rides, I take the cleats off, clean them, lube them and reinstall... this seems to help break them in.

Light Action have no rotation limiters as the Zeros do, but i ride the Zeros wide open with no problems.

Also, very important, make sure your cleats are not overtightened. Get the screw to where they resist then 1/4 turn of the screwdriver and you're done. Check them periodically to make sure they haven't loosened up too much.

Despite the maintenance, speedplays are the best pedals out there... my opinion of course.
Old 09-13-11, 11:44 AM
clx1

Bikes: COLNAGO CLX AND ENIGMA ECHO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghouse
remember, THERE IS A BREAK IN PERIOD FOR SPEEDPLAY CLEATS.

I use both Light Action (on my commuter) and Zeros (on my racer). Light action are by far the easiest pedals to clip in and out of without the fear of clipping out accidentally. The break in for Zeros are a bit longer and they definitely take more effort to get out, but once they break in, clipping in/out becomes second nature. When I install new cleats, after about 3 or 4 rides, I take the cleats off, clean them, lube them and reinstall... this seems to help break them in.

Light Action have no rotation limiters as the Zeros do, but i ride the Zeros wide open with no problems.

Also, very important, make sure your cleats are not overtightened. Get the screw to where they resist then 1/4 turn of the screwdriver and you're done. Check them periodically to make sure they haven't loosened up too much.

Despite the maintenance, speedplays are the best pedals out there... my opinion of course.
+1 This is exactly my experience!
Old 09-13-11, 12:55 PM
iLuveketchup
Still on training wheels

Bikes: CAAD 10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Speedplays. Just curious, what maintenance needs to be done?
Old 09-13-11, 01:31 PM
Ghouse

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix2 SRAM RED - Specialized Epic Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
I have the Speedplays. Just curious, what maintenance needs to be done?
For the cleats, they get gunked up on the inside where the horseshoe clip sits. So drop some dry lube every few rides into the holes where the clip resides
Then every month or two, take the cleat off the shoe and clean all the gunky lube off and reinstall.

For the pedals, get a grease gun (I just use the one Speedplay offers because the needle is the perfect size for the port) and inject recommended grease into the port. I do this every few months and sometimes before a big ride... you'll be amazed at the nastiness that comes out of the pedal.

THIS SERIES OF STILLS kinda tells you everything you need to know...
Old 09-13-11, 03:24 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the cleats, they get gunked up on the inside where the horseshoe clip sits. So drop some dry lube every few rides into the holes where the clip resides
Then every month or two, take the cleat off the shoe and clean all the gunky lube off and reinstall.

For the pedals, get a grease gun (I just use the one Speedplay offers because the needle is the perfect size for the port) and inject recommended grease into the port. I do this every few months and sometimes before a big ride... you'll be amazed at the nastiness that comes out of the pedal.

THIS SERIES OF STILLS kinda tells you everything you need to know...
I'd agree with all the above, except the taking the cleats off to clean them part. At least for me, getting them in the right spot is a royal PITA, so removing them to do anything except replace them with new ones is just not worth it. And, it's not necessary.

If you just have to do a major cleaning, just spray the crap out of them with a good degreaser, like Finish Line Citrus Degreaser. Re-lube, and off you go! Be warned, though, that this might lead to eating up the locking compound and loosening of the mounting screws, which is not a good thing. So better to keep the spray just on the dirty parts if possible.

And FWIW, I see no purpose in the Light Action pedals, and always recommend the Zeros instead. They lack adjustable float, aren't any easier to get into or out of, and they're only $15 more. Makes no sense...
Old 09-13-11, 05:43 PM
milnerpt

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
only reasn I do Light action is because the LBS was clearing them out, as people prefer the zero's

3 sets for 6 bucks a pair, cleats included. Im not complaining. And I race in em.... and dont accidentally clip out.
Old 09-13-11, 06:06 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info -- thanks. Next time around, I'm getting the zeros. I love how these clip in, just step and click. More than once I've fumbled with the DuraAces at a stop light and had to sprint to catch back up.