Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Ride Reports - September 24/25

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Weekend Ride Reports - September 24/25

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 09:55 PM
cricket1116
Everybody Loves a Fat Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This weekend I planned rides with a friend of mind who is new to cycling.

Saturaday was planned as a 62 mile route, which turned into 40 because said buddy forgot to pack CO2's or pump....and he flatted 3 times depleting me of my stock.

Sunday was planned as a 30 mile route, it involved another flat for my buddy. Changed tubes to a patched one (from night before)....patch didn't hold. Patched punctured tube and inflated to find that there was no check to ensure tube wasn't pinched between rim and bead......boom. Third time was a charm though, and got home ok.

All in all, a lesson in patience and details......tire changing for my bud as well.....lol.
Old 09-25-11, 10:25 PM
tero

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/401718

Rode my first 100+ mile trip (115 miles to be exact). I didn't have a look at any elevation profiles before to ride on purpose, because I knew it was going to be tough (for me anyway) and didn't want to know how much pain there was waiting ahead.

Here's the (metric) elevation profile:

7259 feet of climbing with a maximum grade of 19.3%. The worst part was the two climbs at 38 and 52 miles, which both had a grinding 10% grade for a couple of miles before hitting the top. I run a standard double with 25t in the back, and for me these climbs were about as much as I could handle.

Other than that, it was one of the best rides so far, with dead quiet rural roads and hardly any traffic.

Old 09-26-11, 04:50 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

This was "officially" the last weekend of Spring, but it felt like summer had arrived a week early. I took a quick 50km on Saturday morning into the rainforest.

By Sunday I had my new Salsa Vaya that I've been eyeing off for some time. I decided to head for Binna Burra on the Beechmont Range for some climbing. Along the way I took a slight detour and added another 20km or so. Last time I did this ride with a computer I came up with 120km and 1,700 metres of climbing. I really felt the heat on this ride, but it was a little cooler once I got on to the range. Clearly I'm not back in top condition yet, as this ride took a lot out of me. It's coming back, however.

That is all.
Old 09-26-11, 06:17 AM
JayC
Guadzilla

Bikes: Pinarello F4:13 W/Campy Reecord & Blue RC6 W/SRAM Force

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Went down to Greenville, NC this weekend and rode The Cotton Country Century ride. Some of my team members were there so me and Erica (BikingMILF) rode with them part of the day, Erica wasnt feeling well, she's taking some powerful anti-inflammatory medication that upsets her stomach so she sagged at about 40 miles. She was hammering it up to that point but I knew she was hurting. I finished up the metric with the rest of the people from my team that were there and we grabbed a bite at Armadillo Grill.

Good times
Old 09-26-11, 06:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by horus11B
Found a new path... just randomly decided to take a right and cross the river. Turned into 30 miles of beauty. The guy i was with decided to stop and snap this of me with the new bike. Facebook photo you know.
That's the way to do it!! I love it when randomly chosen roads work out.
Old 09-26-11, 07:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by StephenH
Texas Time Trials. 505.8 miles. 41:39. 5th Place in Male Solo.
Congratulations! And nice trophy!

Was that your first 24-hour time trial?
Old 09-26-11, 09:08 AM
horus11B

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
That's the way to do it!! I love it when randomly chosen roads work out.
Yeah I think I've inspired myself. I've got a compass. I'm pointing it north and heading towards the DMZ this upcoming weekend. When I hit it, I'll flip off a north korean and turn around and head back...
Old 09-26-11, 11:44 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Congratulations! And nice trophy!

Was that your first 24-hour time trial?
Well, it wasn't 24 hours. But I've been a volunteer there the last 3 years, and did the 12-hour last year.
Old 09-26-11, 09:02 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Chris L
This was "officially" the last weekend of Spring, but it felt like summer had arrived a week early.
It is? I thought the last weekend of spring was the last weekend in November.

And it's still somewhat wintery down in our area. If you're looking for cool ... this is the place to be.
Old 09-26-11, 09:18 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
It is? I thought the last weekend of spring was the last weekend in November.
I'm referring to Queensland seasons, which are apparently different to Australian seasons (just ask Bob Katter). Up here, summer starts on October 1 and finishes on March 31. Often the heat is more unbearable in October in these pars than any other time of the year. Around November the wet season usually starts to kick in, which provides some relief.

That is all.
Old 09-27-11, 04:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by StephenH
Well, it wasn't 24 hours. But I've been a volunteer there the last 3 years, and did the 12-hour last year.
Ah right ... I didn't realise that the Texas Time Trial was longer than 24-hours.
Old 09-27-11, 04:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Chris L
I'm referring to Queensland seasons, which are apparently different to Australian seasons (just ask Bob Katter). Up here, summer starts on October 1 and finishes on March 31. Often the heat is more unbearable in October in these pars than any other time of the year. Around November the wet season usually starts to kick in, which provides some relief.
Warmth in October? We might have to head up to Queensland!
Old 09-27-11, 04:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday - We took two kayaks and a surf ski and tried them out on the local lake, all relatively close to shore. I am not experienced with these things, but I was all right in one of the kayaks, but really liked the surf ski. Very similar to riding a two-wheeled recumbent.

I found the kayak was good for speed. A couple paddles, and I was 100 metres from shore. But the surf ski was so responsive and mobile. I could dart between trees and bushes growing up out of the water. I got caught in a bush while trying to dart between two the first time, but then tried it a few more times, and got the hang of the steering. But I'll bet my hips will be quite sore tomorrow!

Beautiful day out there for it ... sunny, warm ...
In addition to playing on the water for several hours on Sunday, we also went out for a 25 km ride on the tandem.

And we've continued to ride in the evenings this week ... now that the daylight hours are getting longer. Next week it will be even better!!