Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

You know what Grinds My Gears?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

You know what Grinds My Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-15, 10:41 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
It's as if you have such disdain for the slower cyclists that you demand they get out of your way yet you refuse to let them know your coming.
What's with you guys anyway?
I demand nothing. Maybe the problem is that you're getting buzzed -- that is, they're passing too closely? Passing at a safe distance applies to bikes passing bikes, too.
Old 11-22-15, 11:23 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
If its a skinny path or the situation is tight for what ever reason I may yell an "on on your left" in advance. But if its open road with plenty of room I think a safe pass with a friendly hello is perfectly fine.
On the open road, a safe pass period is fine with me. I'd rather they not say anything, and a lot of people are the same way. You can't please everyone no matter what you do.
Old 11-22-15, 11:31 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I demand nothing. Maybe the problem is that you're getting buzzed -- that is, they're passing too closely? Passing at a safe distance applies to bikes passing bikes, too.
Actually, I agree. The one time this was a real condern for me was when a car was passing me so I moved further right. A second after the car passed the roadie passed very close to me. I was already started to ease back over a little. It was fraught with danger. I did see him later and commented "do me a favor and let me know when your going to pass me like that"
He looked up and nodded. It told me that he realized he should have either waited to begin his passing untill the car was well past, or given me the heads up.
Old 11-22-15, 11:40 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
ding

that was easy
Old 11-22-15, 12:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
HTFU and learn to train properly! /thread
I have to agree with Rowan. That's a pretty snarky reply. Maybe appropriate if you know his situation, say if he was a gifted teammate who refused to train, but it seems you do not know him nearly that well. And let's say he was a serious racer. Ever heard of easy rides? Training properly isn't always going fast.

You may be the Knight of Sufferlandria, but aren't knights expected to be gentlemen when not in armor?

Ben
Old 11-22-15, 12:21 PM
Indyspeeddmon

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Passing at a close distance is ALWAYS a smart thing to do. However, a bike is significantly slower than a car and maybe I'm a little anal about checking behind me but I've never gone long enough w/o a quick glance to allow a sneaker to surprise me. When on the road, never allow yourself to space/zone out...that's when accidents happen.
Old 11-22-15, 12:55 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Certainly didn't expect some of that feedback, especially given the "tongue in cheek" nature of the post....

Thank you Rowan.

With that said, I think there is a certain amount of courtesy you should show other riders, pedestrians, etc. while out on the road. Coming up to within a few inches of someones ear on a silent bike on a deserted backroad to announce yourself is freaking rude. Two lengths back or so, he could have said "passing/on your left/watch the hell out".....Aside from Electrics, I can hear most cars coming a good eighth of a mile off.

I personally like the kitty with a bell idea, already shopping basket ideas.

As to the mirror: I have been a long time user of a mirror. I found that it did nothing aside from increase my apprehension about the upcoming vehicle and oftentimes ended up with me pulling to far to the unsafe shoulder or ditch. Given the legal responsibility of the driver to share the road and pass with a three foot margin, I have developed a tendency to take more of the lane and force cars to pass responsibly. Looking back does nothing to help me remain relaxed and confident whether I see the "one that gets me" or not is a mute point.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 11-22-15 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-22-15, 01:03 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
You sound like a candidate for a rear-view mirror.
the avatar pic looks like a recumbent... mirrors are like standard issue for those guys
Old 11-22-15, 01:26 PM
yooperbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
...In the two occasions this has happened to me in recent weeks, I have had to clean shorts after each...
Maybe need more fiber in your diet.
Old 11-22-15, 01:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Get a rear view mirror and be aware of your surroundings.
if cars honked at him it would grind his gears.

What really grinds his gears is that he has to share the planet with real people ... if everyone would just stay home and use the Internet he could go where he pleases.
Old 11-22-15, 03:07 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
the avatar pic looks like a recumbent... mirrors are like standard issue for those guys
I do still use mirrors on the 'bent, but don't often ride it on the road around here any more. We have some good cart paths nearby that it is much more suited for...or drive well into the country.
Old 11-22-15, 03:08 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Maelochs
What really grinds his gears is that he has to share the planet with real people ... if everyone would just stay home and use the Internet he could go where he pleases.

There is truth in this. I don't know that I have ever met any real people though.
Old 11-22-15, 03:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Personally I always make sure I pass (on the Very rare occasions when it has happened ... not in years) with Plenty of space to my right so even if a cyclist is startles s/he won't swerve into me and shouldn't be startled enough to swerve off the road.

If someone passed at extreme speed less than a foot away, yeah, that would annoy me. If someone blew by three feet to my left ... just two people on the road on bikes, each doing his/her own thing.

I can understand getting a little irritated, and if some people vent that irritation here on BF ... well, the thread title should have been sufficient warning us it was a whine/complain thread and not too serious, at that.

Of course, I took the "HTFU" guy as not serious and very sarcastic as well. if someone posts a thread like this, s/he needs to expect that sort of thing.

Toughen up your posting muscles.
Old 11-22-15, 07:03 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
OP, please do not feel obligated to announce yourself to every cyclist you pass. In my opinion that is way more annoying.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-23-15, 06:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Do you also expect cars to honk at you before passing you? Maybe you should go back to riding on the sidewalk.
You can hear cars more readily.

I can feel for the OP. Climbing Sherman Pass in WA on a loaded touring bike a local who was out for his usual training ride (Imagine having that as your usual training ride.) rode right up to me and said "Hi!" right over my left shoulder. Scared the Bejeebus Belt out of me since I hadn't seen a person or car in probably at least an hour. And i had looked around recently had just gone around a curve. That and the speed difference made him hard to see. If I approach someone on a quite road I may make a little noise or let out a fake cough or even say something before I get right on their butts since I know what it's like to ride for hours without encountering cars or humans. It's no big deal so show a little courtesy.
Old 11-23-15, 06:50 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by punkncat
Certainly didn't expect some of that feedback, especially given the "tongue in cheek" nature of the post....

Thank you Rowan.

With that said, I think there is a certain amount of courtesy you should show other riders, pedestrians, etc. while out on the road. Coming up to within a few inches of someones ear on a silent bike on a deserted backroad to announce yourself is freaking rude. Two lengths back or so, he could have said "passing/on your left/watch the hell out".....Aside from Electrics, I can hear most cars coming a good eighth of a mile off.
See my post No. 40 in this thread. A person who takes issue with showing a little common courtesy in limited situations is precisely the sort of person who doesn't want to share the planet with real people.

Keep in mind that people bring their baggage-driven attitudes to this forum. Some have had their partners walk out on them. Some are in financial pinches for a variety of reasons, including overindulgence. Some are simply mad at the world for one reason or another. This place allows them to vent their frustrations with anonymity. The sad this is that many of them are five-second thinkers who don't really take the time to consider all the scenarios that come under a comment's umbrella. Instead, they dash off comments like "Get a damn mirror!" and move on. People like us are higher, deeper thinkers with more experience than a lot of people who come here to offer inane advice.
Old 11-23-15, 06:51 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
It's not somebody else's responsibility to make up for your lack of road awareness skills.

Learn to check over your shoulder at regular intervals, buy a mirror or get one of these:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into...rod518151.html
Also, employ the cyclist's Crazy Ivan: get in the habit of deploying unannounced snot-rockets over random shoulder to discourage draft ninjas.

Edit: perhaps best not to look over your shoulder before doing this, as it implies intended malice rather than honest mistake.

It is the mucus that binds us.
Old 11-23-15, 07:15 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's no big deal so show a little courtesy.
Playing the 'courtesy' card implies that following the laws isn't enough; we should follow unwritten, made-up rules in addition to the DOT laws. No thanks. I only warn people if they're riding so unpredictably that they'll endanger ME during the pass. Otherwise I give them a safe clearance and do it.
Old 11-23-15, 07:51 AM
indyfabz

Playing the 'courtesy' card implies that following the laws isn't enough; we should follow unwritten, made-up rules in addition to the DOT laws. No thanks. I only warn people if they're riding so unpredictably that they'll endanger ME during the pass. Otherwise I give them a safe clearance and do it.
smh
Old 11-23-15, 09:01 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
What grinds my gears is that when I approach pedestrians, I slow down, ring my bell, they don't respond and then when I'm passing them, they get scared. Only on a few rare occasions they state they didn't hear me or they thought the ding-ding was a bird.

But this cancels out the more frequent occasions when pedestrians thank me for the warning.
Old 11-23-15, 09:16 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
If its a skinny path or the situation is tight for what ever reason I may yell an "on on your left" in advance. But if its open road with plenty of room I think a safe pass with a friendly hello is perfectly fine.
Yeah, that is my gripe. When someone does this on trails especially when you are maneuvering ruts and the like.
Old 11-23-15, 09:17 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
What grinds my gears is that when I approach pedestrians, I slow down, ring my bell, they don't respond and then when I'm passing them, they get scared. Only on a few rare occasions they state they didn't hear me or they thought the ding-ding was a bird.

But this cancels out the more frequent occasions when pedestrians thank me for the warning.
I have to admit to a certain guilty pleasure when this happens, but only if the pedestrian is wearing earbuds. I try to call out far enough back that even if you startle, I can react. Too often, a pedestrian reflexively reacts to "On your left" be looking over his right shoulder, and stepping left. If you choose to block out the world and wander obliviously, you might need a reminder you're not in your EZ-boy recliner.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 11-23-15, 09:37 AM
Meerkat80

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to make some kind of noise, like someone else said I sometimes do a fake cough. haha that sounds pretty lame now I've written it down. It is quite a good fake cough though...
Apart form that i assume people are aware of their surroundings and if they're wearing earbuds (why do cyclists do this??) then I try to give them a wider berth.
Old 11-23-15, 10:21 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I find a " good morning" works fine. Or a few snaps of the brake levers.
Old 11-23-15, 10:27 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
When I encounter a lone rider out in the country, I do try to say *hello* and ask a few questions as I overtake. Why not? We're both out riding in the middle of nowhere...we already have that in common. A little conversation breaks up the monotony, doesn't it? At the very least, I can compliment their bike...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.