Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am looking forward to a better bike.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 10:57 AM
Indyspeeddmon

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently have gotten into biking and am enjoying the ride. My bike is probably a little small for me (I'm 5'7" and have a Allez 50cm), according to forums the wheels aren't great and the drivetrain is marginal, it probably needs a new crankset and the front derailleur could use adjusting. I did get the bike for a great price and as a complete rookie just want to ride for a year or so and then see what I need/want, but so far I am happy. I enjoy reading all the info on here and, as much fun as I am having on this one, am really looking forward to upgrading but as I am a patient person (and a bit of a tightwad) I will wait until I am solid on what I need.
There are some things I wish to upgrade and I search and read but I do wish some would remember how intimidating it is to launch yourself into a new field. The terminology is foreign to me, the fitment of parts is bewildering, the upgrade options are confusing at this point and I just want to remind others to be kind. I haven't had a bad experience on here but that may be because I haven't posted any questions for fear of it being so basic and stupid that I am ashamed to ever show my face again. Seriously, for those who have been doing this for years it is all second nature but to a 40+ year old who never rode some of the most basic stuff seems difficult.
Old 11-08-15, 11:08 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Allez are good bikes, had two of them.

Completed 500 miles on the track

Check with local bike shops to find others to ride with.

Size and Fit are most important for long fun miles

Old 11-08-15, 11:11 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Got this one for $200 on Craigslist

Old 11-08-15, 02:11 PM
Indyspeeddmon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice rides 10 Wheels, both look like a great way to spend some time.
Old 11-08-15, 02:58 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I wouldn't pay too much attention to people telling you what is "wrong" with your bike. Upgrading components is an inefficient use of money and you might not even notice a difference.
Old 11-08-15, 03:14 PM
stumpjumper2076

Bikes: 1994 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think being patient is a wise approach . As you ride you will discover what is right for you . Cycling is full of people who think if they just had the newest equipment it would make them a better rider and of course the right equipment is what they have or prefer . Just remember little kids ride bikes all time and I don't hear them complain as much about their bikes or equipement as I do adults . They also seem to be having more fun
Old 11-08-15, 03:32 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
welcome @indyspeeddmon I've been obsessed with bikes since I was a small child and I still get tripped up by all the different standards. Your approach is right on the money. Ride your Allez until you can say for sure "I wish my bike had X". Then decide what bike you want or what you want your new bike to have BEFORE you go to the bike shop to get your new ride. If you want to learn more about bikes one way is to dive right in and start making mods to your existing bike as you become more familiar with what you want or don't want.
Old 11-08-15, 03:43 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
There is very little besides fit that can actually make a measurable difference between two bikes. Certainly get the shifting working as good as possible (there is little difference in function between the parts that come on a $3000 bike and those that come on a $800 bike), but if it shifts reliably then there is not much else that can be changed. A 50 cm bike is likely a size too small for a 5'7" rider, and this can make a difference far beyond how expensive your crankset is.
Old 11-08-15, 05:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Absolutely either adjust the derailleurs yourself (just takes patience and some time watching videos from the Internet (and visit Park Tools' site) or have it done at a shop. You have no idea how the rest of the drive train works until it is set up right.

I have been using Claris shifters/FD with a 1998 Alivio RD with very good results once I finally got all the cable lengths and tensions and limits set right. Took forever but all the people who told me the drive train was absolute crap were wrong. Even with a no-name crankset (I like Shimano but this came with the bike) the thing shifts fine When it is tuned correctly.

Nothing like being able to shift gears without thinking about it because you always get the ratio you wanted.
Eastbay Says:
Originally Posted by eastbay71
Ride your Allez until you can say for sure "I wish my bike had X". Then decide what bike you want or what you want your new bike to have BEFORE you go to the bike shop to get your new ride
There is so much info out there ... you can go to a shop and try different frame sizes and styles, do the research online, and then go to the shop knowing what you want---which is the best way to actually get what you want.

Bike shops will sell you as much as they can---way more than you need--and you might not get any benefit from the extra thousands you drop. Know what you like and what works for you, and then you have bargaining power.

And ignore folks who tell you to upgrade. i do that and I can tell you, unless you get a thrill from putting parts on, you will rarely see a performance improvement commensurate with cost, unless you spend a lot on really good wheels. Otherwise Tiagra is as good as 105 is as good as Ultegra--only difference is so few grams you won't notice until you are riding at a level where you get your bikes for free from the team (only a slight exaggeration.)

Best bet is to get the Allez tuned up, maybe invest $200-$300 in nice wheels (I wouldn't,) and ride it until you decide on how much you want to spend on your next bike. You have a nice ride there already ... don't let bad adjustments and other people's opinions take away the joy of riding it.
Old 11-08-15, 05:11 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree that riding for a while before making upgrade or new bike decisions is probably wise. Most people just don't know what is important to them untill they have been in the saddle for some time. As for the bike as it is now. I would take it to a local bike shop (LBS) and have them do a safety check. They will adjust the brakes, the deraillers, and tighten things up.
Old 11-08-15, 05:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Just reread the part of your post about how the terminology is foreign to you. Let me make it simple:

All that stuff is bollocks.

People talk about how one derailleur or crankset or whatever is light-years better than another ... but most riders would probably barely notice a difference (assuming everything is set up right) unless we are talking about a thousands-of-dollars frame upgrade which saves several pounds, hundreds of dollars wheel upgrade which would save a couple pounds, or unless you bought a bike from Wal-Mart.

I read about testers who say this (frame, crank, stem, handlebar) is stiffer but I certainly cannot tell. I hear about how shifts are lightning-quick and seamless with some shifter or derailleur, but in my experience everything except the worst stuff out there works well if it is adjusted well.

All these reviewers and testers have to keep saying how much better the latest thing is, or the manufacturers won't give them the latest things to review any more and they will go broke.

And yes, someone who rides a bike every day for a living has probably done enough miles on enough different rigs to notice things you or I never would---and then he will describe in overblown language these differences which to most riders will be negligible. The suckers like me buy the parts, put them on ... and it is the same old, fat guy on the bike, so the new parts really don't matter.

If you have any specific questions, people here will be more than happy to answer at excessive length. Otherwise, ignore the hype. You will eventually find bikes which really suit you, but until you know what really suits you, they are all the same.
Old 11-08-15, 06:53 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with ^^ Methinks you made and are following through with a very wise decision. Keep riding what you now have and maybe tweak and adjust until you have enough time in the saddle to really figure out what you need or want different. And if it turns out what you started out with is perfectly fine so much the better. Might want to pick up a copy of Zinn & The Art Of Road Bike Maintenance. A lot of good explanative information in there even if not planning to do your own maintenance.

Last edited by ltxi; 11-08-15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-08-15, 11:44 PM
Indyspeeddmon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Just reread the part of your post about how the terminology is foreign to you. Let me make it simple:

All that stuff is bollocks.
This made me laugh! Yes I know a lot is hardcore riders or gotta-haves posting their best wisdom, but there is truth in most posts I just have to get to point of finding that nugget. Thanks everyone for all the advice and I look forward to using the site to learn and be entertained. Although I know the bike is a little small, so far I haven't experienced any of the aches and/or pains some associate with ill fitting bikes such as knee, back, etc, etc. I've always liked working on my own stuff and when I get some time I plan on taking a class at a LBS to get the basics of repair work refreshed from my teen years as these are a lot different than my childhood BMX bikes. Here is a quick shot of my bike this afternoon, sorry for the poor photo compostion but it is the only one I have taken, for $300 I think I got a good deal and will ride this one until I know better. The only upgrade I want now (feel free to chime in with better) is to change the shifters and get rid of that damn thumb shifter on the shimano 2300's....I think Claris will work fine.

Last edited by Indyspeeddmon; 11-08-15 at 11:49 PM.