Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Raleigh 20 questions

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Raleigh 20 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 05:22 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Raleigh 20 questions

Will a Raleigh 20 hold up for a Clyde 290# and what is a decent one worth if it will?
thanks
Old 08-26-23, 05:36 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
I'm 260 and never had an issue. These bikes were built for European adults.

$100 if all there at the minimum, up to $250 if completely restored.

But what do I know.

Last edited by mirfi; 08-26-23 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Het enter too soon
Old 08-26-23, 06:01 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
I'm 260 and never had an issue. These bikes were built for European adults.

$100 if all there at the minimum, up to $250 if completely restored.

But what do I know.
Thanks that's helpful. I love the sound of a S.A hub coasting
Old 08-26-23, 06:51 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
I would advise you to consider the negatives of these bikes. They are heavy compared to modern bikes. Their brakes are atrocious to nonexistent in the rain. This is due to steel rims and very long caliper arms. All threaded parts are on the Whitworth standard, which is obsolete today, and they can be hard to find at decent prices. The bolt heads are Whitworth too. Finally, the fold sucks. It feels just as large folded as not.

That said, I have owned them in the past. They are strong. They have a nice ride. Still, I would spend a little more money and get a Zizzo Forte, around $430 new. They are rated at 300 pounds.
Old 08-26-23, 08:13 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Schwinnsta,

Good points on everything, all true, but that ride and shifting is so nice. Used to be my flat trail gravel bike. Never folded. Weighed a ton. Never went fast enough to worry about brakes. That said.

The lug nuts(on most) are British Whitworth(BSF?) and is frustrating between a 13 and 14mm

0.512 inches = 13mm
0.525 inches = 1/4 Whitworth or 5/16 BSF
0.551 inches = 14mm

So I did a bit of research and found a 17/32 is 0.531 which is only 0.006 big. Almost exact fit.

So I bought a socket to use on the lug nuts.

Have fun.
Old 08-27-23, 07:08 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

I have had a few Raleighs, so I bought a Whitworth socket set. I sold my Raleighs years ago. I need to sell the Whitworth sockets. If anyone is interested, I will dig it out and sell it for $20 plus postage.
Old 08-27-23, 03:55 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Schwinnsta, count me in on those Whitworth sockets. I have a decent collection of Nottingham bikes and will extol their virtues until I'm dumped in the ocean and my bikes are still rolling along.

Regarding the OP, the R20 is an awesome bike for what it is, and when it was produced. They are very upgradeable, granted some things are a pain in the rear (bottom bracket size) but considering it has very similar handling to a full size Raleigh Sports, roughly the same weight, but also the ability to be considered a folding bike for multi-modal transport and sticking in the back of a Ford Fiesta (my Fiesta can fit two R20s), it is incredible. I have one built up with modern Sturmey drum/dyno hub in the front and drum/5 speed hub in the rear. Change out the wheels with a set of anything with alloy rims and your braking will be fine. I have one with a set of original 451 chrome wheels that I swapped brakes to a pair of Weinman center-pull calipers, and that bike stops quite well. In the rain it would suck, but that's what aluminum rims are for; or drum brake hubs. The Whitworth sizing is not an issue as long as you take care of your components. Check out Sheldon Brown's Raleigh Twenty page for some ideas, then go down the rabbit hole of research, then actually get one and enjoy it.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 08-27-23, 04:48 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by PhilFo
Schwinnsta, count me in on those Whitworth sockets. I have a decent collection of Nottingham bikes and will extol their virtues until I'm dumped in the ocean and my bikes are still rolling along.
I PM'd you.
Old 08-28-23, 05:00 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
I PM'd you.
I have not received a PM. Tried to PM you but it says: "Schwinnsta has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."
Old 08-28-23, 06:23 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

[QUOTE=PhilFo;22997665]I have not received a PM. Tried to PM you but it says: "Schwinnsta has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."[/QUOTEI

I tried again this morning and it looks like it went thru.
Old 08-28-23, 12:45 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
R20 makes a lot of sense if you want a really heavy mini-velo with outdated components and threading.

For fun, I built one with a S/A 2SC in the rear, a drum brake hub front, an inverted BMX seatpost for a stem, and narrowed/re-threaded the BB to take a regular mtn BB. Upshot is that it fit across the back seat floor space of a subcompact car (Mazda Protege 5dr), and could fit in a largest suitcase, broken down for travel. No cables to the rear cleaned things up nicely.