Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Time trial conversion

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Time trial conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 09:05 AM
gadabout007
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time trial conversion

I've been trying to sell this bike for while. It hasn't been ridden since August and I'm getting tired looky-loos without enough money coming to my house.

I've been looking at TT bikes, even thinking about getting a used one when this bike goes. Aesthetically this looks very similar to TT geometry. Could I just get an aero cockpit, shifters, brake leavers and saddle to make this a TT bike or am I wasting my time with it?

Old 01-23-12, 09:31 AM
coachboyd
Boyd Cycling owner

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That bike would make a very good time trial bike. One thing to consider though is that the headtube is set up for road riding, a lot of times time trial frames will have a shorter headtube to allow riders to get lower while in the aerobars.

*However*

Through a lot of virtual wind tunnel testing I have really dialed in my position. I used to try and go as low as possible, but I have found that if I raised my elbow pads and placed them as narrow as I could it's actually more aero and I can put out higher power as well. Your results may vary as different bodies react differently to going higher/lower or wider/narrower. But just because this bike has a taller headtube doesn't necessarily mean that it's a dealbreaker for letting you get aero.
Old 01-23-12, 10:45 AM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does that bike take a custom seat post?
If so, you might have trouble finding a way to move your seat far enough forward (unless you prefer it further back).
Old 01-23-12, 11:23 AM
androidtt

Bikes: Felt F1C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using my Felt FC1 as a roadbike/TT/triathlon bike right now until I get my triathlon bike in March. I just put aerobars on, raised the seat, pushed the seat forward (maximum allowed; this might be a problem for you if you need to go further), slammed the stem and it works for the time being. It's actually kind of nice to have both worlds.

Also take note, sometimes these newer aero frames, like your AR, might be more aero than cheaper TT bikes. And if you're looking to TT, might want to look into jammer-type aerobars so that you're within UCI-compliance, etc.
Old 01-23-12, 11:33 AM
androidtt

Bikes: Felt F1C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, here's a pic too~

Old 01-23-12, 11:42 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm working on a temporary TT conversion too, and have been doing some research..
https://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...r/bikefit.html

What don't you like about that bike that's making you want to sell it, and would that change if you tt-ified it? It doesn't look like TT geometry to me, it just looks like an aero road frame.

It also looks like you have a slack seat tube and a long top tube, which is not what you want in a tt bike. You might want to read that article, esp. w/r/t fitting a road bike, and see if you should put a TT cockpit on it or if it would be better to just use clip on aero bars or the shorter handlebar setup they refer to.

I put clip-ons on my road bike and haven't started tweaking the saddle position yet - I've ridden it once so far.
Old 01-23-12, 12:36 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Take a picture of yourself from the side on your road bike (preferrably on a trainer). Note the angle at your hips (the angle formed by your back and your legs with the axis at the hips / pelvis). It will probably be around 90-100 degrees or so depending on your flexibility, etc..

Now take this exact same body position at the hips and rotate it forward (maintaining the exact same hip angle) so your arms can now be down on the aerobars with a much more horizontal back. You will have to move your saddle quite a bit more forward to achieve this. This is the position that a TT bike geometry would allow you to achieve.

I am in almost the exact same riding position on my road and TT bike, just rotated more forward at the hips on the TT bike. I think I ahve a hip angle of about 95 degrees on both bikes. On the other hand, if I just put aerobars on my road bike and didn't make any other adjustments, I would have to ride with a much smaller hip angle which would drastically reduce my comfort and power output.

I doubt you can achieve this very well with a road bike geometry without making lots of compromises.
Old 01-23-12, 01:30 PM
gadabout007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coachboyd
That bike would make a very good time trial bike. One thing to consider though is that the headtube is set up for road riding, a lot of times time trial frames will have a shorter headtube to allow riders to get lower while in the aerobars.

*However*

Through a lot of virtual wind tunnel testing I have really dialed in my position. I used to try and go as low as possible, but I have found that if I raised my elbow pads and placed them as narrow as I could it's actually more aero and I can put out higher power as well. Your results may vary as different bodies react differently to going higher/lower or wider/narrower. But just because this bike has a taller headtube doesn't necessarily mean that it's a dealbreaker for letting you get aero.
I wasn't sure about head tube height. There are currently 2 1/2 inch spacers under the stem a long with a very tall 1 inch headset cover. I could easily get it 1.5 inches lower.

Originally Posted by AngrySaki
Does that bike take a custom seat post?
If so, you might have trouble finding a way to move your seat far enough forward (unless you prefer it further back).
yes it's a propitiatory felt mast. Right now the saddle is slammed as far back as it can go. There is lots of room to move it forward.

Originally Posted by androidtt
Also take note, sometimes these newer aero frames, like your AR, might be more aero than cheaper TT bikes. And if you're looking to TT, might want to look into jammer-type aerobars so that you're within UCI-compliance, etc.
I'm not too worried about being UCI legal. TT racing isn't something that's in my future. I have looked at clipon bars and the one thing I'm not fond of is having to move to the brifters in order to shift. I've got friend that is selling a set of 3T Aura-Pro with D/A shifters for $200 that I was thinking of buying.

Nice bike!

Originally Posted by valygrl
I'm working on a temporary TT conversion too, and have been doing some research..
https://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...r/bikefit.html

What don't you like about that bike that's making you want to sell it, and would that change if you tt-ified it? It doesn't look like TT geometry to me, it just looks like an aero road frame.

It also looks like you have a slack seat tube and a long top tube, which is not what you want in a tt bike. You might want to read that article, esp. w/r/t fitting a road bike, and see if you should put a TT cockpit on it or if it would be better to just use clip on aero bars or the shorter handlebar setup they refer to.

I put clip-ons on my road bike and haven't started tweaking the saddle position yet - I've ridden it once so far.
It's not really that I don't like it... more if I'm going to road bike I have much better options available than this bike. As it sits, it's doubtful I'll ever ride it again.

Originally Posted by jrobe
Take a picture of yourself from the side on your road bike (preferrably on a trainer). Note the angle at your hips (the angle formed by your back and your legs with the axis at the hips / pelvis). It will probably be around 90-100 degrees or so depending on your flexibility, etc..

Now take this exact same body position at the hips and rotate it forward (maintaining the exact same hip angle) so your arms can now be down on the aerobars with a much more horizontal back. You will have to move your saddle quite a bit more forward to achieve this. This is the position that a TT bike geometry would allow you to achieve.

I am in almost the exact same riding position on my road and TT bike, just rotated more forward at the hips on the TT bike. I think I ahve a hip angle of about 95 degrees on both bikes. On the other hand, if I just put aerobars on my road bike and didn't make any other adjustments, I would have to ride with a much smaller hip angle which would drastically reduce my comfort and power output.

I doubt you can achieve this very well with a road bike geometry without making lots of compromises.
Thanks jrobe, I guess I try messing around with seeing if I can stretch out over the top tube and go from there.
Old 01-23-12, 03:19 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gadabout007
I wasn't sure about head tube height. There are currently 2 1/2 inch spacers under the stem a long with a very tall 1 inch headset cover. I could easily get it 1.5 inches lower.

And if you do need to go even lower, you can get a 23 degree track stem that will lower your bars.
Old 01-23-12, 03:50 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
slam it! ride it faster