Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Is a cyclocross the most future proof bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 01:25 PM
sinphase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got into cycling after a long time away. I'll mainly be using my bike for commuting but would really like the option to be able to bike long distances through the country and along side the beach on pavement.

Right now I feel like a cross bike would really be suitable for it, but I'm having a hard time with the idea of dropping around a $1000 for a bike. I'm in Toronto and have been looking at used bikes but it's quite difficult to find the right size, any suggestions?
Old 11-14-14, 01:30 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
A cross bike is very versatile. So is a touring bike and a road bike that uses center pull brakes or long reach side pulls as they allow you to run a fatter tire. Maybe you need to expand your search parameters and be patient to find the right used bike.
Old 11-14-14, 01:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The most future proof bike is a SSCX bike.
Old 11-14-14, 02:39 PM
Niloc

Bikes: 80s Rodriguez handmade lugged steel road, 1996 Bianchi Reparto Corse cyclocross, 1982 Cyclepro mountain bike, Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second bikemig's suggestion. If you will mainly be riding on hard surfaces (this includes gravel roads) an older road or touring bike could be just the ticket. Cross bikes, especially those actually intended for cyclocross racing, are not ideal for what you describe. For example you don't need the higher bottom bracket that 'cross bikes have, lower is more stable and better. You may want to have a triple crankset for a wider range of gears. You many want to affix fenders. You may want to attach a rack and panniers for hauling stuff while commuting or touring. Older road bikes often had more clearance for wider tires and fenders than more modern "race" oriented bikes. They more often have braze-ons for mounting fenders and racks. They used what are now called "long reach" calipers. Touring bikes often had cantis which allow for more tire and fender clearance.
Old 11-14-14, 02:54 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
What do you mean by future proof? A CX bike may be the best for you but then so may a road bike, hard to say from afar. If you are having a hard time justifying $1K you might be better served by a comfort bike. What size are you looking for that is so hard to find?
Old 11-14-14, 10:09 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just about any cross bike within your budget will be more geared for commuting than actual cross racing... so the geometry should be good for your needs. You should be safe with a cross bike that has a 70mm BB drop and whatever brazeons you need for racks/water-bottles. If you can find something with drop bars and road disc brakes, that would be ideal imho, but unlikely within your budget.

None the less... my old Kona Dew hybrid would be good-enough for everything that you mention and I bought the thing used for $200 years ago. Get something with disc mounts and 135mm hub spacing for the best future proofing. If used, make sure it has at least a 1-1/8" steerer. Disc brakes are really optional, but they do add more versatility in build options.

My touring bike would also be sufficient for your needs, and I bought that for $450 used. I suppose all that really matters is that you can fit 32mm or wider tires if you want to go on rougher roads.

Last edited by headloss; 11-14-14 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 10:59 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to get a better understanding as well about what you mean by "future proof". I think the first thing I would say is yes a cross bike will do what you want, but so will a more comfort oriented road bike such as my Soma ES. I can take my Soma anywhere I can take my Moots. The big thing for me is it has to have rack and fender mounts and the ability to take larger tires in case I head down a dirt road or smooth single track. Maybe you mean a bike that later if you want to ride off road or do a tour etc. So in the future you won't have to replace it with some other bike. It certain can be a cross bike. But a light touring bike will suffice as well.
Old 11-15-14, 05:07 PM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cyclocross is a form of racing and hence a "true" Cyclocross bike is not very versatile. Many have few (if any) mounts for racks, fenders, etc. Many are designed to take only a UCI compliant tire width (33 mm). The low-end bikes tend to be less race-oriented, but they may still limit you on tire width and prove challenging when it comes to accessories. If you really want "future-proof" a light touring bike (now often being labeled as "adventure" bikes) is probably the way to go. And, surprisingly, low-tech components like downtube or bar end shifters, an 8-speed or less RD, and cantilever or linear pull brakes are more "future-proof" than modern drivetrains and disc brakes. The new standards are evolving rapidly and it remains to be seen how long the legacy designs will be supported once the "next new thing" comes out. For example, I predict that QR disc brake hubs will be extinct in 5 years (replaced by thru axle systems that are completely incompatible).
Old 11-16-14, 12:46 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you are asking if a CX bike can be used for club rides and for commuting the answer is yes.

this past year i used my ridley xfire - undoubtably a 'true' cyclocross bike - for all my geared riding. paris2ancaster, commuting, club rides, goofing off in the don valley and durham forest, etc.

was it the best choice for everything? maybe not but if you only want to have one bike i think a cx bike is a good choice. that said, fender and rack mounts would be a plus.

heres a pic of my ridley on 28c gatorskins after climbing mt. diablo in california

Last edited by 91MF; 11-21-14 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 03:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Brompton's Folding bikes qualify too ... all parts are replaceable and Backwards compatible.
Old 11-17-14, 04:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by sinphase
I just got into cycling after a long time away. I'll mainly be using my bike for commuting but would really like the option to be able to bike long distances through the country and along side the beach on pavement.

Right now I feel like a cross bike would really be suitable for it, but I'm having a hard time with the idea of dropping around a $1000 for a bike. I'm in Toronto and have been looking at used bikes but it's quite difficult to find the right size, any suggestions?
+1 to the others' question of "what do you mean by 'future-proof'?"

"Cross bikes" are basically road bikes with a little different geometry and often disc brakes at this point, and so aren't really any more future-proof than other bikes. If anything, the flux in disc brake and axle standards could make them less future-proof than other bikes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-17-14, 06:52 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The most future proof bike is a SSCX bike.
That sounds about right.
Old 11-17-14, 07:03 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Future Proof" depends upon what you think the future holds