Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'64 Varsity Frankenbike Build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 12:21 AM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

Reading the other recent Varsity threads has made me want to build up the frame I have sitting in storage. It is a 1964 Schwinn Varsity, when I bought it, it was converted to a 3-speed with 26" wheels. I used it as a winter bike last year, then stripped various parts off it. Here is what it looks like at the moment.

I'm not too sure what my goal is going to be. Restoration is definitely out, the paint is past the point of being able to look good, and I have very few original parts. Trying to make a really light Varsity with mostly parts I have on hand sounds fun, as well as making a really weird frankenbike. I do have some stuff that could work for both of these, but I'd like to see what you guys think I should put on it. Here's what I'm thinking:

Wheels:
I've got a number of them lying around, and with it being able to take 27", 700c, and 26", just about all of them could work. For front wheels, I have a Campy MTB wheel, a pretty modern looking Alex MTB wheel, a Ritchey Aero Road, and a few normal looking 27" and 700c wheels. Rear wheels are more limited, I have a few normal looking 26" wheels, the 26" 3-speed wheel, a 700c 3-speed wheel, and if I upgrade the wheelset on my Centurion, a A-Class ALX320 (24 bladed spokes with a cassette) I also have a 32 hole Mavic CXP33 rim in red, maybe I could give wheelbuilding a shot.

Crankset:
I probably want more than one chainring up front, and I might as well switch to 3 piece cranks. I have a glossy black no-name 50-34 compact crank that could go on, or salvage the crank off my Moto Mirage Sport for a more normal looking one.

Fork:
I could leave the original one on, or I have a cromoly one from a late 80's Trek road bike.

Shifters:
I really want to use the Huret DT shifters from my Moto. Or putting friction thumb shifters on a drop bar sounds good too.

Derailleurs:
For the rear, using the Huret Rival from the Moto sounds good, otherwise I have almost new 105 and XT, and a Sram X5. Not sure about the front, I'm sure something will work.

Handlbars:
I have normal looking drops, some weird looking Profile anatomical drop bars, or I can find another set of north road bars and mount bar ends towards the middle for an aero position.

Brakes:
Depends on what wheels and bars I pick.

I suppose one thing I have to decide is if I want it to just look like a junky Schwinn Varsity, or a really weird mix of modern and vintage stuff. Just curious, what is the lightest weight someone has gotten a Varsity down to?
Old 03-16-12, 04:35 AM
55 Traveler

Bikes: Schwinn: Twinn Sport, Super Sport and Suburban. Raleigh Grand Prix, Competition, and Super Course, plus New Clubman.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a well stripped one will still be a little above 30 pounds. I think i would build it up as a hipster fixie. Your major investment would be in wheels and they could be transferred to another bike if you want to.

David
Old 03-16-12, 08:37 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I'm afraid if you have a Varsity with the DT bosses, you are required to use DT shifters.
Old 03-16-12, 06:44 PM
SteveSGP

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those older Varsities with the Huret downtube shifters are a fair bit lighter than the later stem shift bikes, they use smaller diameter tubing.

I noticed the difference in tubing when I tried fitting a later 60s front derailleur to one. My son commented on it when he rode it as well, he said it didn't feel at all like a Varsity and he's test ridden a lot of them.

Here's the one I rehabbed last summer.