Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Blasphemy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 09:46 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
I've ran my chain a bit long in the first iteration of my modern bike (I was just learning to wrench), and while it probably wasn't the most efficient way of doing things it made drive train operation a very smooth affair... I'm not talking about a way too long chain, just not as tight as recommended, by about 3 links or so. I've moved on an and ran the chain tight on the next build. Shifting and power transfer are much snappier. I like the set-up on that bike, but it is a super stiff alu go-fast machine. I would run the chain a bit slacker on a smooth steel cruiser.
sounds perfect. short chain on my modern aluminum bike and a little longer on the tommasini
Old 01-31-12, 12:17 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
As I get close to the end of the build, more questions keep popping up...

First off, I tried the middle cog/big ring - chain is definitely too short. I'll order one online tomorrow and hope it arrives fast in time for Saturday

Now, for my latest question: aren't the Campy brake housings supposed to be used with ferrules at either end? The good news is that my levers had a set embedded in the cableway, so that's one end taken care of. But what about where they go into the caliper arm?

The instructions in the set show four normal ferrules and one step-down for the derailleurs, but do not show a supplied set for the brakes. That is to say, the set is complete - but will it work? Do I need brake ferrules? If so, how do I source those?

Please don't say Ebay

I was going to cut these to sized and prep the bars (electrical tape for securing the housings, set the final location of the levers) tonight, but I am going to wait and see what kind of feedback I get from this question...

DD
Old 01-31-12, 12:49 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Now, for my latest question: aren't the Campy brake housings supposed to be used with ferrules at either end? The good news is that my levers had a set embedded in the cableway, so that's one end taken care of. But what about where they go into the caliper arm?
campagnolo does not call for the use of ferrules with their brakes or brake cable

the four supplied are for shifting. two at the down tube cable stops, one in the RD, and the fourth or stepdown on the chainstay pending your frames requirements.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-31-12 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-31-12, 12:50 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
jagwire kits do come with a larger than normal step down ferrule that can be used in campy brakes but they are not needed per campagnolos instruction. ive run many miles without and never had an issue. consider this an irrelavent post for your current install and just knowledge for future use
Old 01-31-12, 01:02 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Okay, cool - I like ferrules for the clean look - and I was checking out the Interwebs tonight and saw a number of pics of early Ergos connected to Monoplaner brake calipers and there were ferrules at the caliper arm, so....

I have the KMC X9SL on the way - $41.95 with free shipping, promised to deliver by Thursday, 2 February. Pricepoint couldn't beat that with a stick

BTW, that's a sexy looking chain...

DD
Old 01-31-12, 01:09 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
once upon a time i did have a few ferrules that fit inside campy brakes but i cant recall ever getting them with a campy cable kit.

i know when i built my tommasini i hunted my collection (and my dads collection) of ferrules but the only ones i could find that would fit were black aluminum ones that said jagwire. like me, you wont want them for this sort of build.

if it makes you feel better obree doesnt have any:

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-31-12 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-31-12, 01:16 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
he is all about drilling too:

you will fit right in
Old 01-31-12, 04:20 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Ferrules...

Old 01-31-12, 05:51 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Yup - the Campy kit comes with derailleur cable ferrules. My question is in regard to the brake cable ferrules.

To continue my quest to keep every bit of this build clean and precise, I'm going to look around for some brake ferrules anyway

BTW, I like the clear tubing idea to keep the cable from rubbing the paint on your headtube: I think I'll borrow that idea!

DD
Old 01-31-12, 05:56 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
BTW, I like the clear tubing idea to keep the cable from rubbing the paint on your headtube: I think I'll borrow that idea!
Beware - some types of clear tubing have a tendency to stick to and lift paint.

-Kurt

Old 01-31-12, 06:15 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Good point

With that in mind, what's conventional wisdom say about the brake cable routing? In researching Interwebs photos, I note about a 50/50 split on left lever-front brake/right lever-rear brake and vice versa.

Personally, it appears cleaner going with the original standard (and what I have on all my other bikes, which I suppose would end up being my default choice - who wants to grab a handful of front brake when one thought they were going for the rear?): left lever front/right lever rear.

I'm also seeing different routing around the head tube for the rear brake - about 50/50 split on both sides of the head tube.

Suggestions?

DD
Old 01-31-12, 06:19 PM
mazdaspeed

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Front brake = left lever, route the rear brake cable on the left side IMO
Old 01-31-12, 07:10 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
^ Yup - the Campy kit comes with derailleur cable ferrules. My question is in regard to the brake cable ferrules.

To continue my quest to keep every bit of this build clean and precise, I'm going to look around for some brake ferrules anyway

DD
I have them on several bikes.

Go for it.
Old 01-31-12, 07:15 PM
gomango

^ Good point

With that in mind, what's conventional wisdom say about the brake cable routing? In researching Interwebs photos, I note about a 50/50 split on left lever-front brake/right lever-rear brake and vice versa.

Personally, it appears cleaner going with the original standard (and what I have on all my other bikes, which I suppose would end up being my default choice - who wants to grab a handful of front brake when one thought they were going for the rear?): left lever front/right lever rear.

I'm also seeing different routing around the head tube for the rear brake - about 50/50 split on both sides of the head tube.

Suggestions?

DD
Look at Aaron's thread when you have a moment.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hlight=primato

Or dig one up from OFG or BBM. Check out their Primatos.

They look pretty darn good to me.
Old 01-31-12, 08:22 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

DD
I can send you a few feet of the stuff I use. I have it on three bikes and does not stick to paint. PM me if you want some. I also tried to find ferrules that would fit at the Caliper end of the brake cable,.. no dice. The cable just fits in the adjuster.

MIke
Old 01-31-12, 08:27 PM
yellowjeep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I run my brakes right front. I've never owned a motorcycle and I'm not from England or any of the other countries that drive on the wrong side so who knows where I picked it up. Suits me fine.
Old 01-31-12, 08:44 PM
MPC Biker

Bikes: 1986 Miele Elite S, SunTour Sprint

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
Front brake = left lever, route the rear brake cable on the left side IMO
always do this ^

the lever brake arrangement is standard on all new bikes. my best thoughts are that this has to do with hand dominance. In emergency situations most people would garb hard with their right hand (considering 90% of the population is right handed) and if front brakes were cables to the right lever we would end up with a lot of "tuckus over tea kettle" incidents.

although the physics of this are harder to experience on a road bike (lower riding position, better weight distribution) this would become a problem (and does) with upright hybrids and kids bikes with single hand brakes...... kids like to slam the breaks hard their first time using them, (my sister learned the very hard way that this is not such a good idea.)

as for cable routing, i think it would be incredibly awkward to have a cable come from the right side lever and go around the right side of the headtube, it's just easier for it to cross over the headtube on the left side (this would also reduce friction in the cable, imporving brake performance)
Old 01-31-12, 08:44 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Gomango: That's the ticket

And I note he is using ferrules, and has the earlier-generation Ergos, so I will scare up a pair. The Chorus brakes on this build have a countersunk adjuster, and normally Campy's ferrules have the sloping ends to fit that countersink perfectly. For a nice, positive interface I think I'll need these.

Perhaps the modern adjusters have flat-bottomed adjusters, thus negating the need for ferrules?

Oh, BTW: I have never liked all that extra length of cable on the RD. Is it a requirement? Or can I cut it to a shorter length? If I cut, will I lose derailleur performance?

DD
Old 01-31-12, 08:46 PM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I, too, like right-brake-front despite not being a brit or owning a motorcycle -- but I agree that you should do the same thing as all your other bikes for consistency's sake.
Old 01-31-12, 08:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
I can send you a few feet of the stuff I use. I have it on three bikes and does not stick to paint. PM me if you want some. I also tried to find ferrules that would fit at the Caliper end of the brake cable,.. no dice. The cable just fits in the adjuster.

MIke
Thanks for the offer - but I can locate some locally I think

I like your version rather than the little stick-ons that I see a lot of others using. This way, I won't have to play around with removing gunk from the frame when I want to go back to Super Record one fine day

DD
Old 01-31-12, 08:50 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by MrEss
I, too, like right-brake-front despite not being a brit or owning a motorcycle -- but I agree that you should do the same thing as all your other bikes for consistency's sake.
I was thinking the same thing - and the more I looked at pics the other way 'round, the more I thought the normal setup looked just that little bit cleaner.

UPDATE: Chain should arrive by Thursday and I will go by the general rule of thumb to get it close myself, then fine-tune on Saturday at the shop.

DD
Old 01-31-12, 08:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
he is all about drilling too:

you will fit right in
What is the story with these pictures? Inquiring minds want to know

That rear derailleur has some major modification going on...

DD
Old 01-31-12, 08:54 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh, BTW: I have never liked all that extra length of cable on the RD. Is it a requirement? Or can I cut it to a shorter length? If I cut, will I lose derailleur performance?

DD
campy recomends not cutting this. it is more critical with 10 and 11spd but cutting the rear loop too short will negatively effect shifting on your setup. keep it a smooth consistent radius.
Old 01-31-12, 08:59 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What is the story with these pictures? Inquiring minds want to know

That rear derailleur has some major modification going on...

DD
Graeme Obree is quite the rider, rebel, innovator, and fabricator.

they all have stories but the last build can be found here:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/grae...mazing-bicycle

detailed pictures are here:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phot...mazing-bicycle
Old 01-31-12, 09:07 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
campy recomends not cutting this. it is more critical with 10 and 11spd but cutting the rear loop too short will negatively effect shifting on your setup. keep it a smooth consistent radius.
Yep, you are right again.

Smooth is the key word here.

Bends that are too tight have created shifting issues for me.

Especially on modern Athena for some reason.

Just use the provided loop and she works great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.