Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Post your Rigs version 3.0.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Post your Rigs version 3.0.

Old 01-30-12, 11:42 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Whoa. Good job.
Old 01-31-12, 08:01 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rat fink
Actually, that kind of explains how this frame has been so heavily modified.
I'd say your component choice is reflective of the capabilities of the frame. Well done.
Old 02-03-12, 07:31 PM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trancenstein.

28# of crushing. Lyrik Solo Air lowered to 145mm. Swapping between that and the Sektor Solo Air to see which I prefer. Lyrik has the better damping, and stiffer platform. Sektor is close, and weighs a full pound less. A buddy who works at SRAM is throwing me a tapered CSU for the Sektor that ought to alleviate much of the loss in stiffness. We'll see how that works. Final fork to be determined between those two.

Reverb post. SRAM/Shimano mix on drive and brakes. Race Face steering goods. SLR buttfloss saddle. Lots of ti and alu goodies gathered over the years.

Straitline Silent Guide - had to do a fair bit of Dremel tool and file work to get a Pivot cycles ISCG-05 adapter to play nicely with the press-fit BB shell and Maestro linkage spacing.

Light-ish. Fast, nimble, beat on-able.
Old 02-03-12, 07:35 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
That looks like it's fun as all hell to ride.
Old 02-03-12, 07:56 PM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
That looks like it's fun as all hell to ride.

Yes. The addition of the slightly taller than stock fork has made the bike. It's a very capable ride, and I find myself doing more on it than I thought I would. Stuff I'd thought to really only be taking the Reign-X on.

Only other little niggling thing is I'd love to get the bar height lower. It's got a fairly tall head tube for a small frame. No top bearing cover, low rise bar, -6* stem, internal HS cups has me as low as I can really get. Tried a true flat bar, and didn't get on with the sweep angles, so the 12mm short riser is it. bThat said, the front end/fork combo is incredibly stiff and precise feeling, almost too much so. The Sektor with the tapered CSU may be the perfect setup - tone down the stiffness a bit, be a pound lighter, and still perform really well. Hell, I could upgrade the damper on the Revelation from the hardtail, and stick that damper in the Sektor... Hmmmmmm.

Maestro pedals really, really well - IMO, far better than the Banshee system on the Spitfire did. My still favorite pedaling bike was the Corsair though. Too bad it was such a lemon otherwise.
Old 02-03-12, 10:16 PM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just getting back into mountain biking after years of road riding. Here's my brand-new 2012 Trek Wahoo Disc 29 ("Gary Fisher Collection" according to the LBS website), bought today. It feels quite a bit heavier than the Rockhopper Expert I had back in 1992, so hopefully it climbs as well as that bike did.

2012 Trek Wahoo Disc 29 (Gary Fisher Collection) by freighttraininguphill, on Flickr

Last edited by freighttraininguphill; 02-14-12 at 12:47 PM. Reason: moved photo to Flickr
Old 02-04-12, 02:02 AM
Thomand

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Norway. A pic of my 2011 cube ams 110 sl

Old 02-04-12, 08:37 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Norway rocks! I've XC ski'd around Oslo but have yet to mountain bike there.

Nice bike too!
Old 02-05-12, 12:25 AM
digthemlows

Bikes: 2012 Knolly Chilcotin, 1969 Puegeot U-08, Trek Xtracycle, 1991 Tomassini Velocista,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Just picked up this single speed.....yes, I'm 6'7", yes it's 21"......yes, the seat is really high!! .........
Old 02-05-12, 03:50 PM
digthemlows

Bikes: 2012 Knolly Chilcotin, 1969 Puegeot U-08, Trek Xtracycle, 1991 Tomassini Velocista,

Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Added a stem riser and now it fits just right!!
Old 02-05-12, 05:45 PM
likesbikes36

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er, 2009 DK Aura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thomad,
I am really into that bike!
How is riding in norway?
Old 02-06-12, 09:06 AM
Thomand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by likesbikes36
Thomad,
I am really into that bike!
How is riding in norway?
Hi. Thanks. I love the bike, and I am feeling lucky living in Norway. Plenty of tracks.
But I must mention that I have never cycled in any other countries, so I don`t have much to compare it to.
Couple of pics from some of my trips.

Old 02-06-12, 04:10 PM
likesbikes36

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er, 2009 DK Aura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like a wonderful place to ride! very good pictures youve taken of some good looking tracks.
Old 02-06-12, 04:38 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scrublover
Tried a true flat bar, and didn't get on with the sweep angles, so the 12mm short riser is it.
The Sunline OS Flat Bar has virtually the same up- and backsweep of a normal DH-ish riser bar - - just (5° up, 9° back and 762 wide).

Last edited by dminor; 02-06-12 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-07-12, 02:29 PM
TRAINING WHEEL

Bikes: NINER EMD 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Thomand;13807545]Hello from Norway. A pic of my 2011 cube ams 110 sl

love the bike.
Old 02-07-12, 04:06 PM
yellowjeep

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a set of Stoker Trails coming in tomorrow and realized I hadn't posted a picture with the new wheels.
Old 02-07-12, 06:17 PM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
The Sunline OS Flat Bar has virtually the same up- and backsweep of a normal DH-ish riser bar - - just (5° up, 9° back and 762
wide).
Warning: long and rambly.

Yep - I've got one. Tried it for a bit, and I'm not sure why, but could never get it to feel quite right. Now on Race Face wide bars, with a 12.5mm rise on all three bikes. Works well enough, and I like having the same feel from bike to bike, since I switch it up and ride them all a fair bit.

Also tossed some bigger meats on the hardtail and TX for the rest of the winter. Make me work harder to lug around the extra weight, and burn them up faster in order to allow me to...buy more tires!

Wide and low may be a trendy thing recently, but it's proven to be pretty damn comfy for me, even on the bigger bike going to the lifts, doing stupid stuff, hack trialsin' around on the hardtail, etc.

I'm now also in love with my Straitline Silent Guides - two in use now, and super, super quiet. Light, without any moving parts to break or get gunked up, neither bike required mods to the guides to work. I can't say the same about the MRP and e.13 stuff I've tried. I like that the 32T edition I'm using has the bash pared down to minimal height - nice for playing around on the chunky stuff around here.

In other news: was trying a MRP 1x no bash setup on the hardtail for a bit. Works great, had no issues with the chain dropping, it's quiet, and it's light. But...smoked my chain/ring hard into a rock working on an up move yesterday. Required some bench-vise repair time. Bash ring/Jump Stop is now back on. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... Had been using that setup for years, without any trouble.
Old 02-07-12, 06:58 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rambly back -
  • I'm backing off the low-low bar trend as I found weird things happening. Had the Syncros 31s on early last year. Liked the width; but the combination of spread wingspan (I think an inch wider than is my optimum) and the low ride pulled my chest too close to the front of the bike - - found I was weighting the front end too much on gnarly steep chutes. An unsettling OTB-in-the-making feeling. After two practice runs with them at the ProGRT in Port Angeles, I threw the taller Sunlines back on and it was like I threw a switch. Sudden confidence and stance change.
  • Tempting the thought of Azonic World Force bars in the 2" or even 3" rise since I'm dropping the front end some with the shorter fork. Going to get it all put back together and ride it with the Sunlines before I decide.
  • Almost got the Silent Guide. Love their simplicity. Opted for the MRP System 3 at the time and it's never given me a lick of trouble. I know the G2 style is the rage now but I'd rather break crank bosses than ISCG tabs if I really smack something too hard.
Old 02-08-12, 01:04 PM
ttusomeone

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's my newest bike - 2012 Specialized S-works Stumpjumper. I got it last week and have only ridden it once, but I'm already in love.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SworksReduced.jpg (96.7 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by dminor; 02-08-12 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 07:56 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Just finished building it. So different from my road bike.

Last edited by Muffin Man; 02-08-12 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 09:22 PM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Rambly back -

• I'm backing off the low-low bar trend as I found weird things happening. Had the Syncros 31s on early last year. Liked the width; but the combination of spread wingspan (I think an inch wider than is my optimum) and the low ride pulled my chest too close to the front of the bike - - found I was weighting the front end too much on gnarly steep chutes. An unsettling OTB-in-the-making feeling. After two practice runs with them at the ProGRT in Port Angeles, I threw the taller Sunlines back on and it was like I threw a switch. Sudden confidence and stance change.
  • Tempting the thought of Azonic World Force bars in the 2" or even 3" rise since I'm dropping the front end some with the shorter fork. Going to get it all put back together and ride it with the Sunlines before I decide.
  • Almost got the Silent Guide. Love their simplicity. Opted for the MRP System 3 at the time and it's never given me a lick of trouble. I know the G2 style is the rage now but I'd rather break crank bosses than ISCG tabs if I really smack something too hard.
With the wider bars, you also need a shorter stem, IMO. Since it spreads your arms a bit more, and sort of pulls you forward more, that mitigates that.

I've found it lets me weight the front more the way I like, while still making it super easy to get off the back when wanted.

It's all what you like/what you get used to though.
Old 02-08-12, 10:56 PM
never
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all what you like/what you get used to though.
+1 on that...I tried to go away from my tried and true Chromag OSX bars last season...tried two different bars on the DH bike, one of which was very similar to the Chromag, but neither didn't ever feel right. Back to the Chromag now and life is good!
Old 02-09-12, 12:11 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
With the wider bars, you also need a shorter stem, IMO. Since it spreads your arms a bit more, and sort of pulls you forward more, that mitigates that.
Agreed. However, can't go much shorter than I am now: Syncros DM/zero-rise with 47mm/42mm settings. Though I was running it 47 all last year; hopefully, setting it at 42 will help compensate for the now-lower front end.

Maybe it's time to get a block of 6061 and play with fabbing a zero-offset moto-style handlebar perch. Hmmmmmm . . . . .
Old 02-09-12, 10:23 AM
never
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was running a 28mm stem on my V10...got it from Straitline. It was a direct mount (avail in 50 or 28): https://www.straitlinecomponents.com/...ms_(50mm).aspx

I have a 35mm stem on my SXT (clamp on) but it's a proprietary Specialized piece.

So you can go shorter!

Last edited by never; 02-09-12 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 10:36 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Like the looks of the 28. Hmmmm . . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.