Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wireless earbuds while riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wireless earbuds while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 09:38 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I was thinking the same thing about you.
Works for me.

You people need to disconnect at times.
Old 11-25-19, 09:42 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
You people need to disconnect at times.
This is in my mind worse than baseless anti-earbuds rants. Don't tell me when or how to ride a bicycle. Don't tell me when or how to live my life. You know nothing about me, and the notion of somehow "centering oneself" via "disconnect" is garbage.

If it is your opinion than anyone who wears headphones on a bike-- what they're listening to doesn't matter-- is a danger to themselves and/or others, then you are absolutely entitled to that opinion, no matter how wrong it is. Everyone has the right to be wrong.

But don't tell me what to do or how to do it.
Old 11-25-19, 09:43 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I was thinking the same thing about you.
I wish 3 tri people who decided to seat on my wheel without asking on Saturday would be more like GlennR. lol Maybe my earbuds were not visible enough for them.

OP I have jaybird X3s. I think one of the better ones out there, but even with them I have to stop to take a call. Otherwise wind noise is too much. Just FYI if you stumble on to them.

Last edited by UmneyDurak; 11-25-19 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-25-19, 09:44 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Just glad you guys don't ride near me.
If someone riding along with an earpiece in their ear is a threat to your safety on a bike perhaps the real concern may be elsewhere.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-25-19, 09:45 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Old 11-25-19, 09:54 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
To me, there is a difference between listening to music/podcasts/whatever with buds and carrying on an extended conversation on the telephone while riding. To me, the latter is more distracting from the task at hand. But that's just me and I'm just a guy who rides a lot. No guru.

That said, I will just share that in 2012, I was riding on a busy street in the city at maybe 10 pm on a Friday. Had my buds in, listening to music. For some odd reason, I sensed something. I turned to my left and what should I behold but--not one, but two fire trucks, screaming past me, lights and sirens full-on. I totally, completely did not hear them until they were right behind me. No bike lane, tiny shoulder. Maybe not the best street choice for me.

I must say, I do remember that night. I still feel guilty that I may have caused the firemen to have to slow down maybe, because I obviously did not get over for them. Don't feel good about that. It feels kinda selfish, to me. Like maybe my music was more important than helping the firemen get quickly and safely to the fire. I don't know. I am not proud of that night.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 11-25-19, 09:54 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by velopig
If someone riding along with an earpiece in their ear is a threat to your safety on a bike perhaps the real concern may be elsewhere.
No more than a car or pedestrian stepping into the road without looking.
Old 11-25-19, 09:58 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I love riding with my bluetooth speaker. All the benefits of music and you still get all the ambient sounds. Besides, you will not be passing me, I will be passing you. That is the added benefit, no need to call out that I am coming up, since you already heard me.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 11-25-19, 10:11 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Glad you feel safe, but riders coming up to pass don't know if you can hear and and uncertain what you'll do when hey pass.
Can you explain how hearing approaching vehicles or bikes makes me safer? Try as I may, I just don't get it.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-25-19, 10:15 AM
MattTheHat 

Driving a car with headphone or earbuds is illegal, doing the same while cycling should be.
So, it should be illegal for the Deaf to ride bikes or drive cars? Sure. Seems legit.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-25-19, 10:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Apple Earpods seem like the best, but I'm not willing to spend the money on them. I use Mpow Jaws headphones. It has a yoke that rests on my collar bone. The earbuds sit magnetically in the yoke. On the bike, I use one earbud so I can hear well enough. It's not terrific for moving and talking, as it picks up wind noise, so I have to keep it under 10 mph, and I also feel a bit distracted when talking and riding, so I don't do it much. But it might work for you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-25-19, 10:48 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
So, it should be illegal for the Deaf to ride bikes or drive cars? Sure. Seems legit.
Seems like a stupid question.

BTW, being deaf is not a choice. Covering your ears and reducing outside sound is.

Think about it.
Old 11-25-19, 10:55 AM
MattTheHat 

Seems like a stupid question.

BTW, being deaf is not a choice. Covering your ears and reducing outside sound is.

Think about it.
It was a stupid question...that was the point.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-25-19, 11:03 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

It was a stupid question...that was the point.
Well, i didn't know if that you really weren't serious. After all you wear earphones and listen to music while riding on public roads with cars. So I ASSumed you are not very bright.

Well boys, it's been fun playing with you, but i'm going to go for a ride since it's in in the high 40s here and it's sunny. I'll be sure to have both my rear and front lights on and not have earphone in so I can be safe. After all, a 14# bike doesn't have much of a chance against a 4000# car. And we all know how drivers love to talk on their cell phones and text.

L8TR
Old 11-25-19, 11:11 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Well, i didn't know if that you really weren't serious. After all you wear earphones and listen to music while riding on public roads with cars. So I ASSumed you are not very bright.

Well boys, it's been fun playing with you, but i'm going to go for a ride since it's in in the high 40s here and it's sunny. I'll be sure to have both my rear and front lights on and not have earphone in so I can be safe. After all, a 14# bike doesn't have much of a chance against a 4000# car. And we all know how drivers love to talk on their cell phones and text.

L8TR
So you can hear the difference between a car that will pass you with 3 feet of room, and one that will run you over. That's impressive.
Old 11-25-19, 11:15 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Does anyone use a single wireless earbud while riding, and if you do, how is the microphone performance? I often make business/personal calls while out on solo rides, and my wired buds place the microphone down near my mouth, which concentrates the audio-in largely to my voice, save for situations where the wind is really strong. Since wireless buds have to pick up my voice at the ear, I'm concerned that wind, cars, etc. are going to drown out my voice. Curious to hear you opinions.
these work well

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/audio/galaxy-buds/
Old 11-25-19, 11:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I do but i've seen too many times what seems like a straight line isn't a few seconds later.

Last year I was following a guy about 15' back and as we were going to pass a slower cyclist they suddenly decided to make a U-turn. I was able to go right but he hit them and over his bars.

The problem is, people listening to music are not as aware of their surroundings. Just like people in cars are in their own little world.

Driving a car with headphone or earbuds is illegal, doing the same while cycling should be.
Ok, so your scenario is frustrating, I agree. I would be annoyed if I were affected by someone doing what that cyclist did.
Thing is- I disagree as to the cause. You claim the cyclist did that unsafe maneuver because they were unaware of their surroundings due to music. I say the cyclist was unaware of their surroundings because they dont realize they need to be aware of their surroundings.
Its quite simple to me- someone who is oblivious to others around them is going to be that way regardless of if they have headphones on. Turning your head to look back is what the cyclist needed to do before turning and they can do that while listening to music.

I rode 12mi of paved trail and 27mi of gravel yesterday. During the 2 hours of riding, I couldnt hear much of anything when I wasnt listening to music(I lost signal for a few minutes). Wearing ear buds reduces wind noise(so does the ear band I had on due to temps). I never felt unsafe during the entire ride. The 6mi of paved trail I rode in both directions had walkers and runners who were listening to music. I slowed for each, called out with time to spare, and rode around them all when they didnt react. Approaching each intersection, I looked ahead then looked behind and to the side.
While riding on the road, I would look ahead at what was coming up. Approaching intersections I would look to each side. I would look behind me before turning left to make sure it was safe. A few cars passed me- I rode in a straight line and they passed.

It was all quite harmonious and simple. Awareness and anticipation is all thats needed- and you can do both with ear buds in.
In all instances I can think of where something bad happens on roads- it is due to a lack of awareness, a lack of anticipation, or both. The cyclist that pulled a U turn on you did it because they werent aware of whats going on and didnt put effort into staying safe. That happens even without ear buds.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-25-19, 11:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Thing is- I disagree as to the cause. You claim the cyclist did that unsafe maneuver because they were unaware of their surroundings due to music.
The funny thing is that there were three people involved in this tale (himself, the person in front of him [that couldn't avoid the collision] and the errant turning cyclist) and he never explicitly stated that anyone was wearing headphones/earbuds, let alone identify the offender. He just let that be inferred contextually. I don't think that this was an accidental omission, given his vehemence. My guess that he didn't confirm that either were wearing headphones, but still decided to use it as a cautionary tale, as an example of what could happen.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-25-19, 11:42 AM
Bikesax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rely WAY too much on hearing traffic coming up behind me to ever use earbuds or listen to anything of any kind while riding.
Likes For Bikesax:
Old 11-25-19, 11:52 AM
blackbomber

Bikes: 1932 Simmons Banner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 14 Posts
I use earbuds for turn by turn navigation.
I also put them in when the cold air hurts my ears. I don't believe having them there (mostly) silent does much to diminish the level of ambient sounds. But I notice they sure as heck make it harder to detect the direction sounds are coming from. But no worse than being in a car (with or without ear buds). I've tried using just the right earbud, but that bothers me. So yeah, there is a potential safety compromise with them, in my experience.

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
...Also god forbid if you did get into an accident with cars, the earphone could help the driver's case.

Pretty good point. In a society where a rider is considered at fault if not wearing a helmet, I imagine this would be damning evidence against him or her.

Last edited by blackbomber; 11-25-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-25-19, 12:10 PM
MattTheHat 

L8TR
The stupid question was posed to challenge your logic of needing hearing to be able to drive or cycle safely.

And wearing ear buds does not require my bicycle to have much of a chance against a 4,000 pound car. The two are totally unrelated. Countless cyclist ride every single day on the road without incident. And until not too recently, every cyclist ever involved in an accident with a car was riding without ear buds.

When I drive my car I don't hear approaching vehicles, either.

Enjoy your ride.
Old 11-25-19, 12:12 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Bikesax
I rely WAY too much on hearing traffic coming up behind me to ever use earbuds or listen to anything of any kind while riding.
Out of curiosity, what do you differently when you hear a car approaching? I do the same when I know a car is coming that I do when I don't know one is coming. That is to ride in a straight line.
Old 11-25-19, 12:20 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Out of curiosity, what do you differently when you hear a car approaching? I do the same when I know a car is coming that I do when I don't know one is coming. That is to ride in a straight line.
when I hear a car approaching, I glance over my shoulder to make sure the car isn’t going to hit me. Although, I guess one could argue that if you’re in the crosshairs of an errant driver, it may be better not to know?
Old 11-25-19, 12:24 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
also, what’s the logic if something appears in your path, and you can’t just “ride in a straight line?”
Old 11-25-19, 12:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.