Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crown race / headtube installation issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-19, 04:07 PM
hythamfekry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

HI ,
i'm building a road bike using scott addict rc 2011 frame , i had FSA (Mod.Orbit Z 9/M 1 – 1/8 "Semi Integrated Headset/Headset TH 9/M Orbit Z) along with it .

problem is that after fitting crown race at the bottom of the fork , there's a slightly big gap between race and the bearing , accordingly when installing the fork , there's 2mm gap between headtube and fork ..
i thought about buying a different crown race which may have same diameter but with lower height , but i don't want to go through removing the crown race again as it's now very tight fit .

side question .. first problem was that base of the fork had extra epoxy,carbon fiber residue from manufacturing , i used a sand paper very lightly to remove that , that was a batter option for me than pressing to hard on the crown race to make it fit or sand crown race which may make it uneven and damage carbon layers in future , was that the best action to do

Last edited by hythamfekry; 11-28-19 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-28-19, 07:03 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,498 Posts
?

are you certain the bearing+race angles match? looks to be very improper.could you have the upper bearing with diff. angle installed?
Old 11-28-19, 09:24 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Any chance the lower bearing is upside down?
Old 11-28-19, 10:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Not if the second photo is also the way the lower bearing was installed on reassembly. But I do question the match between the lower bearing and the crown race WRT their mating conical angles. I also have questions about how photo 2 relates to #3 . #2 shows the bearing sitting rather high off the crown race yet #3 seems to show the headtube and fork about the common distance from each other.

This might be one of those challenges that has a simple answer which is hard to see without being there. Andy
Old 11-28-19, 10:14 PM
DOS

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
The bearing looks like it is not as fully seated on the race as it should be. But seems to me pieces are missing.

In OP pic 3 and on @‘02 NRS PIC, there is a flared section on both the upper and lower parts of the headset. This pic, the two parts at the top specifically, would seem to indicate that the flared section is part of a cover that goes over the top of the bearing in OPS pic. Perhaps that makes up,for the gap?
Old 11-29-19, 04:35 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
The bearing looks like it is not as fully seated on the race as it should be. But seems to me pieces are missing.

In OP pic 3 and on @‘02 NRS PIC, there is a flared section on both the upper and lower parts of the headset. This pic, the two parts at the top specifically, would seem to indicate that the flared section is part of a cover that goes over the top of the bearing in OPS pic. Perhaps that makes up,for the gap?
The two parts at the top of that pic are the headset cups that get pressed into the frame.
Old 11-29-19, 05:03 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
The residue from manufacturing limits the accurate fit of the fork crown race. I am not certain if a traditional mill is going to
work on carbon fiber.

Accuracy of this fit (or lack of it) is imperative in correctly seating these precision parts. Perfect assembly (and function)
depends on the fit of the every element of the headset.

Not being in tune with carbon frames, and what mill to accomplish this, I will say that a headset requires parallel top and bottom faces
on the headtube. If the seating isn't correct at installation, the cups will likely shift on riding, and could lead to binding.

In the Campagnolo pro tool box, there is a measuring die to check the fit before installing the fork crown race.

Lacking a tool like that, a precision caliper and a methodical cleaning of the steerer tube as it meets the fork crown is the only solution I can see.

I killed(ie split) a fork crown race on a vintage Omas headset doing this, and learned a valuable and expensive lesson.
Old 11-29-19, 07:36 AM
DOS

Originally Posted by dsaul
The two parts at the top of that pic are the headset cups that get pressed into the frame.
Duh, I am an idiot
Old 11-29-19, 07:49 AM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
are you certain the bearing+race angles match? looks to be very improper.could you have the upper bearing with diff. angle installed?
This is the link for the FSA 'Part number 228882-222' orbit z ..... upper and lower bearing and upper and lower metal cups are identical .. bearing and crown is installed in correct direction :
https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/f...444a468b88f78/
Old 11-29-19, 07:51 AM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
No , i installed it in correct direction as per PDF below
https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/f...444a468b88f78/
Old 11-29-19, 07:58 AM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsaul
yes correct , i installed cups already in frame , but as in second picture , when installing bearing on top of crown , the gap between them seem bigger than it should be , accordingly when installing fork in frame , this gap add up , so there's a gap between lower headset cup and fork "2 mm as in 3rd picture "
that's what weird , this is headset is 1 pack which should be integrated together , but for some reason , crown race height seems to be high ..
Old 11-29-19, 08:02 AM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Not if the second photo is also the way the lower bearing was installed on reassembly. But I do question the match between the lower bearing and the crown race WRT their mating conical angles. I also have questions about how photo 2 relates to #3 . #2 shows the bearing sitting rather high off the crown race yet #3 seems to show the headtube and fork about the common distance from each other.

This might be one of those challenges that has a simple answer which is hard to see without being there. Andy
gap is 2 mm , between fork and lower headset cup .. i look higher than it should , maybe the picture don't show gap clear enough
Old 11-29-19, 08:31 AM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have same headset , i need to see how crown fit into the bearing , spacing between them
Old 11-29-19, 09:19 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

I have FSA Orbit Z deep cups,zero stack.the crown sits a little high but not as high as yours.also the lower cup COVERS the gap & is sealed by the rubber seal attached to the crown race.lower pic is with bearing inside cup,crown race atop.

Old 11-29-19, 04:44 PM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have FSA Orbit Z deep cups,zero stack.the crown sits a little high but not as high as yours.also the lower cup COVERS the gap & is sealed by the rubber seal attached to the crown race.lower pic is with bearing inside cup,crown race atop.

weired my headset have rubber seal only for upper bearings and cup below the headset cap , i suspected my headset have missing parts , but it's the same pieces listed in product pdf i added before in this post .
thanks for the pics ..
Old 11-29-19, 08:12 PM
'02 nrs

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
OK, I sent a pm to explain what is going on here, but I'll do it in public. You have two lower head races on that fork, and who ever told you it was brand new was spoofing you, there are bearing marks on the old bearing race that is still on the fork. When you remove the first bearing race the clearance on the lower race will be correct, and likely the upper clearance will correct as well. Put simply: you have two lower bearing races on that fork. Remove the wrong one and all should work well together. Smiles, MH
the "bearing marks" could be from an installation tool,no?
Old 11-29-19, 08:34 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
'02 nrs,
Yes they could be, but the issue is still the same, there are still two races on that fork. Smiles, MH
Ya know, I thought that race looked weird.
Old 11-30-19, 05:57 AM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the "bearing marks" could be from an installation tool,no?

Marks from installation as fitting crown was too tight that's why i don't want to remove it again , here is closer look for the race (it's a single one , fork is new came without any races ) , also attached is pdf of headset specs , which shows all parts are here (2 bearing , 2 cups , crown , top cap with rubber piece , open race )
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
018_no.9m_cup_cc (2).pdf (277.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-30-19, 08:31 AM
'02 nrs

Crown race angle wrong?

Have you tried your old crown race on new bearing? PDF says 1.2mm gap.possible new part is not correct,bearing seat not same as bearing angle.have old parts to check-confirm???
Old 11-30-19, 11:55 AM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you tried your old crown race on new bearing? PDF says 1.2mm gap.possible new part is not correct,bearing seat not same as bearing angle.have old parts to check-confirm???
can you elaborate on this (bearing seat is not same as bearing angel) .. now the top split race have a tight fit all the way into the bearing , gap is 1 mm , accoringly it fits into the upper cup , that's not the case for the downside crown race ,
Shall i use pvc tube and use some strokes on it on top of the bearing/crown race/fork .. so it's snug into place ?

Old 11-30-19, 12:17 PM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
this is new frame (warrant replacement) so it came without race installed , not sure of other race with lower height will fit or not , however i can't know it other race will work or not until i buy it and have it in hand .
Old 11-30-19, 02:24 PM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i removed the crown race from.fork here how it looks from inside and downside , gap from outside is at least 2mm

Old 11-30-19, 02:54 PM
'02 nrs

the gap looks excessive without the deep cup installed.maybe the way this headset is designed.as an extra precaution even though the bearings are sealed,some manufactures advise adding a layer of grease over the seal for extra protection.the upper split ring gap closes/lowers once the bearing cover,spacers,stem are assembled & properly torqued to specs.looks like your doing every thing accordingly,just the way its designed from what I can see.
Old 11-30-19, 03:11 PM
hythamfekry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the gap looks excessive without the deep cup installed.maybe the way this headset is designed.as an extra precaution even though the bearings are sealed,some manufactures advise adding a layer of grease over the seal for extra protection.the upper split ring gap closes/lowers once the bearing cover,spacers,stem are assembled & properly torqued to specs.looks like your doing every thing accordingly,just the way its designed from what I can see.
ok , but i'm ending up having too much gap between lower headtube and fork , i'm afraid that can put pressure on neck of the fork , also i will end up cutting fork at the wrong point "in case this gap shouldn't be there"

Last edited by hythamfekry; 11-30-19 at 03:17 PM.