Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

External ”Hollowtech” bearings or square tapered cartridges?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

External ”Hollowtech” bearings or square tapered cartridges?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 03:32 AM
dwsmartins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I have a Shimano SM-BBR60 here with +15k miles on it, installed on it's third frame. Bearings are still smooth.

And even though no one asked, a BB-UN26 square-taper is 355g, while the aforementioned BBR60 is 77 grams. That's over half a pound.
+15k on 3 frames? That’s pretty good!

But my bike is a MTB style commuter (streets here have holes so large and deep that’ll shred skinny wheels/tires apart, so we resort to chubby ones), will it fit? The shell is 68mm wide BSA threaded and I’m looking to install a touring triple chainset (Shimano FC-T4060 48-36-26T).

As for the weight, it’s secondary right now: I still must lose another 34kg to reach my normal weight, so I can exploit that before became a weight weenie.
Old 12-02-19, 03:34 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Not sure what your problem is, but everyone else understood it just fine.
Good to know my English is understandable! Thanks!
Old 12-02-19, 03:36 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I’ve multiple thousands of miles on Ultegra and 105 level HollowTech b-brackets. They are easy to install, the spacing is dead on with the matched derailer so the shifting is easier to setup and are generally a ton easier to install and/or service than a square taper.
The matched derailleur question is one I must account for. Will it be OK on a Shimano Altus FD-M371?
Old 12-02-19, 03:37 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by '02 nrs
maybe a Russian troll spreading negativism prior to the elections???
Not a Russian, but maybe a Brazilian troll... (just kidding)
Old 12-02-19, 03:44 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I'm with Andrew the external bearings, while they brace the BB spindle better, seem to have a shorter life.

It may be because they are not as well protected, particularly from front wheel splash in wet conditions.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Maybe, but Speed B and DrIsotope have better experience with their 105 Hollowtechs. I ride on the rain, though.
Old 12-02-19, 03:46 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by HillRider
My experience with Shimano HTII external bottom brackets has been very good. I have two BB6700 (Ultegra level) bottom brackets mounting FC-5703 (105 level) triple cranks with over 25,000 miles each and still in excellent operating condition. These bikes aren't ridden in rain or snow if I can help it but they have gotten wet and splashed a number of times with no apparent problems.

Sample size = 2 but success = 100%
So far the best Hollowtech proponent. What’s your weight? Thinking about the resilience of it under my heavy weight.
Old 12-02-19, 03:49 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
To make a fair comparison you would have to include the weight of the spindle, which the BBR60 does not have but which is part of the BB-UN26.
As the spindle on Hollowtech crankset is hollow, they tend to be much lighter than square tapers. But that’s not my primary concern now, I can lose more weight than that!
Old 12-02-19, 03:51 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Not all those Campag sq tapers were created equal....the worse are Campagnolo AC-H units, they go to gravel inside fast. Just junk. Then again AC-H was the cheaper Campag.
We have a saying here about caviar: never see, neither eat, just hear about it. Campagnolo is about the same here... 🤣
Old 12-02-19, 03:57 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
To a degree yes. However the shell faces are also about getting the BB (whatever type) securely tightened. A shell with cockeyed faces won't allow the BB RH (usually the RH) side to fully snug up and thus might loosen during use more readily. The other possibility with really off faces is that if the BB cartridge is fully torqued down before the LH locating ring (what most will call a cup even though it's a cylinder) the LH end can drift off center and make installing that LH ring rather hard. This is one reason why I'll not tighten the RH side completely before the LH side is installed. Andy
I’ll remember that the next time I’ll install the BB. Thanks!
Old 12-02-19, 06:13 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Realistically, You'll be fine either way.

Old crankset, new 68x122.5 UN 26 saves you from purchasing a new (or used) HT II crankset. Maybe you have to replace a worn chain ring somewhere years? down the road. You need a crank removal tool and BB tool.

HT II means new (used?) crankset (upgrade?) so add some cost. The BB are about the same $$ cost. Need a different tool for BB and crank than the UN26, so if you buy the tool to remove the old one, you still need another tool to install the new one.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-02-19, 06:24 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by dedhed
Realistically, You'll be fine either way.

Old crankset, new 68x122.5 UN 26 saves you from purchasing a new (or used) HT II crankset. Maybe you have to replace a worn chain ring somewhere years? down the road. You need a crank removal tool and BB tool.

HT II means new (used?) crankset (upgrade?) so add some cost. The BB are about the same $$ cost. Need a different tool for BB and crank than the UN26, so if you buy the tool to remove the old one, you still need another tool to install the new one.
In fact, I'm reaching about the same opinion. For now, I'm tending about using the current crankset (rather new Sunrace FCM918, installed about 4 months ago) with a BB-UN26 and, in the future, after the cogs wear down, decide if I'll go the Hollowtech route or no. Until then, I'll have in mind all the knowledge learned and make a thoughtful decision.
Likes For dwsmartins:
Old 12-02-19, 08:01 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by dwsmartins
So far the best Hollowtech proponent. What’s your weight? Thinking about the resilience of it under my heavy weight.
I'm pretty light at 145 pounds (66kg) so I don't put the demands on any bottom bracket that a much heavier rider would. However, one of the arguments in favor of HTII is that its stiffer than square taper so it should tolerate heavier riders better.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-02-19, 10:21 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Square tapered can’t be taken apart for cleaning, but they look more sealed too. The square BB I’m replacing is 10-year old with about 12000km on it and has no contamination visible, even after breaking it apart.

The reason I’m replacing it is because it’s got some play and misalignment. As I’m still overweight, with 114kg (down from 157kg, all 43kg lost on this BB), I’d thought about upgrading to Hollowtech, if the durability factor worth it.
I have a Specialized Secteur from about 2010 or so with 24,000 miles on a Tiagra crankset. I only weigh 155 lbs. but that is still very good durability.
Likes For berner:
Old 12-06-19, 12:20 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I’ve told I’m from Brazil on the first post. But please, I don’t speak “brazilian” (or spanish, for that matter): we speak portuguese here. 😁
Portuguese? Sorry, you can't say or type that here. 😁😉 Just kidding, of course. Here in the U.S., everyone is equal, and if you're posting on a U.S. website, that makes you a part-time American. Right? 🤔 😁😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 12-07-19, 11:33 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by stardognine
portuguese? Sorry, you can't say or type that here. 😁😉 just kidding, of course. Here in the u.s., everyone is equal, and if you're posting on a u.s. Website, that makes you a part-time american. Right? 🤔 😁😉
😂😂😂
Old 12-07-19, 12:15 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm pretty light at 145 pounds (66kg) so I don't put the demands on any bottom bracket that a much heavier rider would. However, one of the arguments in favor of HTII is that its stiffer than square taper so it should tolerate heavier riders better.
Weight shouldn't be an issue with a bottom bracket, especially if you are pedaling while seated.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-08-19, 07:07 PM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by phughes
Weight shouldn't be an issue with a bottom bracket, especially if you are pedaling while seated.
I tend to disagree. My weight put more load on the bike, which translates to more strain on the drivetrain, specially on up grades. That adds up to the problem, as I live in a city known for hills everywhere.

In fact, I’m already positive about migrating to Hollowtech II, not because it‘s better, but because there’s a huge lack of durable chainsets without it here in Brazil.

But thanks for the feedback! Good, civilized and rational discussions like this just adds to our knowledge. Keep it going!
Likes For dwsmartins:
Old 12-08-19, 09:23 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
I tend to disagree. My weight put more load on the bike, which translates to more strain on the drivetrain, specially on up grades. That adds up to the problem, as I live in a city known for hills everywhere.

In fact, I’m already positive about migrating to Hollowtech II, not because it‘s better, but because there’s a huge lack of durable chainsets without it here in Brazil.

But thanks for the feedback! Good, civilized and rational discussions like this just adds to our knowledge. Keep it going!
I see what you are saying here. Moving the extra weight takes more force.
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-09-19, 03:48 AM
dwsmartins

Originally Posted by phughes
I see what you are saying here. Moving the extra weight takes more force.
And that force ends up acting on the bottom bracket as a fulcrum.

For curiosity sake, my chain usually rub on the derailleur when I’m grinding hard the big chainring with the right leg down stroking, but it won’t rub at all on the shop’s bench or when I’m just “turning along” the pedals lightly. Heck, I can even see the frame flexing!