Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

New MTB!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 01:48 PM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: DEAN Duke titanium soft tail, DEAN Torrys titanium gravel bike, Merlin Telluride titanium tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 16 Posts
New MTB!

I just pulled the trigger on this 2012, but as new, Fandango DC9! My gal and I are entering the Leadville Traill 100 lottery and most likely some other 50-100 mile events for 2020.
Likes For mtn_cyclist:
Old 10-30-19, 06:51 AM
Alan_F

Bikes: DaVinci Joint Venture Ti S&S, DaVinci Symbiosis 27.5", Trek Emonda SLR 7, Motobecane Century Ti ETap AXS, Motobecane Fantom Ti hardtail, Diamondback Haanjo Carbon, Motobecane Fantom 4x4 29'er, SE F@R fatbike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Nice looking bike! First MTN tandem? What are the wheel and tire sizes?

Are the 50+ mile events on technical singletrack or are they more gravel and flowing trails? We just did a 31 mile ride (https://www.strava.com/activities/2791862898) mostly on technical singletrack with just a little gravel road and a few minutes of pavement thrown in and I can't imagine 3x that ride in a single day. The event we were doing has 40, 55, and 70 mile options, so maybe we'll go a bit further next year.
Old 10-30-19, 02:02 PM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: DEAN Duke titanium soft tail, DEAN Torrys titanium gravel bike, Merlin Telluride titanium tandem

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan_F
Nice looking bike! First MTN tandem? What are the wheel and tire sizes?

Are the 50+ mile events on technical singletrack or are they more gravel and flowing trails? We just did a 31 mile ride (https://www.strava.com/activities/2791862898) mostly on technical singletrack with just a little gravel road and a few minutes of pavement thrown in and I can't imagine 3x that ride in a single day. The event we were doing has 40, 55, and 70 mile options, so maybe we'll go a bit further next year.
Thank you! Yes, my first MTB tandem. I've previously had 4 road tandems but don't have one now. 29" wheels, 2.25 tires. I'm not sure how wide it can go. We'll tend to avoid highly technical trail. Leadville is mostly double track, fire roads, etc. A bit of non tech single track and even some pavement. Lots of climbing and high altitude. We have both done lots of over distance riding. I go over 100 on the road multiple times a year, I've done Leadville as a single a couple times. My gal is an ultra runner too, she's done over 70 100 mile running events!
Old 10-30-19, 08:33 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
SWEET Bike. Enjoy your future adventures!
Old 11-06-19, 05:14 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 29” wheeled Fandango is a great bike. I forget if the 2012 has the oversize headtube, able to accept tapered steerer forks. Pretty certain it does. The reason I mention that, is the fork is ok, but not anything great. I have seen them fail at the bonded joints, plus the forks ability to comfortably deal with terrain is marginal.

Regardless, those bikes are very off road worthy and capable. The one we had was a 2010 and it got ridden a lot with no complaints.

All the best getting into Leadville and competing.