Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Argon in tyres?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Argon in tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 12:49 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What about Helium? Would that make for a lighter ride?
Old 08-20-07, 01:21 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I thought race cars use Nitrogen because it doesn't expand from heat as much as ambient air???
Yeah but the temps on their tires are like 100 celsius+.
Old 08-20-07, 01:37 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Novakane
Helium is rare, non-renewable and the supply will gradually decrease and almost no helium will be available commercially within decades or up to a century or so, it is predicted.

Argon stays in the atmosphere and is also pretty common (More than 0.9% of the air is argon).
Old 08-20-07, 01:45 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by neilG
It's gonna slow you down: argon has a density of 1.784 kg/m3 while air's density is 1.2 kg/m3. Think of all that extra mass to accelerate.
Hmm... good point. I think you want the measurement criteria of pressure per weight. So compare the partial vapour-pressure of argon and its weight vs. CO2 vs. ambient air. The water-vapour in air can allow you to reduce the amount and weight needed tremendously if you keep it at 100-C and above..
Old 08-20-07, 02:08 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
Because the threads start with questions like this?

Ah, a theoretical technical discussion about "thingys".

Yes, it's true. I am mired in pragmatism.
I can be as flip as the next guy, but this is "thread crapping", pure and stinky. If the topic doesn't interest you, then post elsewhere.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-20-07, 02:14 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I recall, the issue with increased diffusion of some gases had to do with the solubility of those gases in the case material (rubber). And from my chemistry, I recall that solubility is generally determined by the shapes and local charges of the molecules. Since argon is chemically inert, it essentially has no shape or local charges, so it is effectively insoluble.

Doesn't mean that it won't diffuse through the structure, or leak. But I bet it would do so at a slower rate than other gases (except krypton, xenon, or radon ).

- Will Rogers
Old 08-20-07, 03:01 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
As I recall, the issue with increased diffusion of some gases had to do with the solubility of those gases in the case material (rubber). And from my chemistry, I recall that solubility is generally determined by the shapes and local charges of the molecules. Since argon is chemically inert, it essentially has no shape or local charges, so it is effectively insoluble.

Doesn't mean that it won't diffuse through the structure, or leak. But I bet it would do so at a slower rate than other gases (except krypton, xenon, or radon ).
Yes, that is what I thought as well, and what I had in mind when I posted. However, my knowledge of chemistry is limited, so I wanted more opinions.
Old 08-20-07, 05:10 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
I fill my tires with chocolate, that way when it punctures I get a delicious treat as well.

Do you try and ride through Strawberry Fields Forever ?
Old 08-20-07, 07:10 PM
njm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF

I think there are two issues here, for the technically inclined. First, how soluble is a gas in rubber tires? Second, how fast do the gas molecules move through the rubber once it is taken up in the rubber -- that is, what is its diffusivity? These are both functions of the gas's and the polymer's (in this case, rubber) chemical composition, as DMF pointed out, but are fundamentally two different properties. When these two factors are combined, engineers refer to the overall permeability, which is the mass flux (of the gas through the rubber in this case) per unit area per unit time, normalized according to the pressure drop across the rubber.

I did some google searching, and found a paper: Barrer, R.M. "Permeation, diffusion, and solution of gases in organic polymers." Trans. Farad. Soc. 35 628. It shows that the permeability of argon -- and thus how fast it will leave through the tire rubber, given the same pressure, tire thickness, etc. -- is about three times that of nitrogen. The units for this permeability look a bit goofy, but just take note that the outflow rate would be measured in "moles" or number of molecules, because it is this that determines pressure in the tire.

Some of the replies to this post indicated it might be a waste of time. Don't worry, OP, I think it's an okay question! In fact, I can remember an exam question some time ago regarding patents that Air Products, Inc., (in Allentown, Pa.) had filed for a gas that could be used to pressurize tennis balls. They claimed that the gas increased the usable life of the tennis balls by a factor of two or something like that. I guess I would argue that questions like these, then, can be fruitful/significant!

[EDIT: The tennis ball invention is US Patent 4,358,111.]
Old 08-20-07, 07:25 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by njm
I think there are two issues here, for the technically inclined. First, how soluble is a gas in rubber tires? Second, how fast do the gas molecules move through the rubber once it is taken up in the rubber -- that is, what is its diffusivity? These are both functions of the gas's and the polymer's (in this case, rubber) chemical composition, as DMF pointed out, but are fundamentally two different properties. When these two factors are combined, engineers refer to the overall permeability, which is the mass flux (of the gas through the rubber in this case) per unit area per unit time, normalized according to the pressure drop across the rubber.

I did some google searching, and found a paper: Barrer, R.M. "Permeation, diffusion, and solution of gases in organic polymers." Trans. Farad. Soc. 35 628. It shows that the permeability of argon -- and thus how fast it will leave through the tire rubber, given the same pressure, tire thickness, etc. -- is about three times that of nitrogen. The units for this permeability look a bit goofy, but just take note that the outflow rate would be measured in "moles" or number of molecules, because it is this that determines pressure in the tire.

Some of the replies to this post indicated it might be a waste of time. Don't worry, OP, I think it's an okay question! In fact, I can remember an exam question some time ago regarding patents that Air Products, Inc., (in Allentown, Pa.) had filed for a gas that could be used to pressurize tennis balls. They claimed that the gas increased the usable life of the tennis balls by a factor of two or something like that. I guess I would argue that questions like these, then, can be fruitful/significant!

We're talking about butyl tubes though, not rubber tires.
Old 08-20-07, 08:04 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
I can be as flip as the next guy, but this is "thread crapping", pure and stinky. If the topic doesn't interest you, then post elsewhere.
Busted again. I'll have to find another thread to recycle methane in.
Old 08-20-07, 08:17 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I thought race cars use Nitrogen because it doesn't expand from heat as much as ambient air???
I was too precise. The moisture causes the expansion. Been there, done that.
Old 08-20-07, 09:22 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
We're talking about butyl tubes though, not rubber tires.
Both organic polymers.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-20-07, 09:25 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CdCf
Yes, that is what I thought as well, and what I had in mind when I posted. However, my knowledge of chemistry is limited, so I wanted more opinions.
To heck with theory. Got an argon tank? Air/argon up a couple tires and let them leak down. Then reverse them.

Plot the pressure decrease over time. Then we can puzzle about the results. In this wise are theories born (and buried).

- Will Rogers
Old 08-20-07, 09:25 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
Busted again. I'll have to find another thread to recycle methane in.
Don't make me post the [Global Warming == Cow Farts] picture!

- Will Rogers
Old 08-21-07, 12:04 AM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
Got an argon tank?
Nope.
Old 08-21-07, 05:13 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Easily over $200 for a normal size tank, and about $25-$30 to fill it. I have an argon/C02 welding tank, on my welder of course, lol.,,,,BD
Old 08-21-07, 05:51 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by njm
.......regarding patents that Air Products, Inc., (in Allentown, Pa.) had filed for a gas that could be used to pressurize tennis balls. They claimed that the gas increased the usable life of the tennis balls by a factor of two or something like that. I guess I would argue that questions like these, then, can be fruitful/significant!

The difference is tennis balls don't have valves and can't be repressururized so reducing pressure decay is a big issue.

Bike tubes can be refilled as often as you need to, including daily for high-pressure track tires with latex tubes.
Old 08-21-07, 06:23 AM
mr_nickos_jr
Eugenian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helium.

Lots of Helium.

Edit: Just realized this was already suggested.
Helium is rare, non-renewable and the supply will gradually decrease and almost no helium will be available commercially within decades or up to a century or so, it is predicted.

Argon stays in the atmosphere and is also pretty common (More than 0.9% of the air is argon).
Well, comparing these gases to the currently used fresh air, all of these are unreasonable as they are not practical. A simple pump of air is. The benefit weight wise of any other gas is probably not worth the trouble.
Old 08-21-07, 08:30 AM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The question was theoretical - I'm not likely to go start trying to fill my tires with helium and if I where it would not likely be on a regular basis due to the cost of air (free) versus helium (not free). Given the theoretical nature of the question - renew-ability is moot point.
Old 08-21-07, 09:30 AM
njm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The difference is tennis balls don't have valves and can't be repressururized so reducing pressure decay is a big issue.

Bike tubes can be refilled as often as you need to, including daily for high-pressure track tires with latex tubes.
True, good point. I think air is indeed the best thing for bicycle tires, and my point was that argon would seep out faster than air through tubes, probably due to its smaller size. I was just pointing out that the OP's question wasn't totally out there.

Originally Posted by Novakane
I figure the weight savings would be about 8 g per tire for 27"x1" tires at 100 psig. As was pointed out, however, helium is becoming more scarce, so don't tell the WWs....
Old 08-21-07, 01:55 PM
p4nh4ndle
coffeeeeee

Bikes: all that I ride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Helium, though normally uncharged and non-reactive, is one of the most difficult gases to contain. You'd have to refill your tires more often than with regular air, or nitrogen, or argon even, possibly during the course of a longer ride.
I'm sure the He tire fill's been tried by racers; I don't think it would be such a hot idea though.
I think there was something like this on another thread.
Old 08-21-07, 08:58 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njm
I figure the weight savings would be about 8 g per tire ... helium is becoming more scarce, so don't tell the WWs....

- Will Rogers
Old 08-21-07, 09:13 PM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This thread is toast...
Old 08-21-07, 09:19 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by p4nh4ndle
Helium, though normally uncharged and non-reactive, is one of the most difficult gases to contain.
I would argue that methane is even more difficult to contain, especially when one's finger is pulled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.