Old 06-16-19, 10:16 AM
Privat3j3t

Bikes: Cannondale Slate, Soma Groove, Interloc Scandium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tips for Summer Commute in Tucson, AZ Heat

I recently relocated to Tucson, AZ and live about 12 miles from work. I would love to start bike commuting but I am worried about the Summer heat (mid-day and evening highs of 105-110 F). I would be early enough in the morning for it to be fairly cool, but coming home between 3 and 5 everyday seems like it would be way too hot to ride that distance. Any tips or advice on how to do this safely/semi-comfortably?

Also, any other Tucson commuters who work down by the airport feel free to PM me. I would love to hear about it.
Old 06-17-19, 08:06 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
Google cycling in heat.

I've been riding 15 mi RT in Phoenix the last few years. Acclimatization is key. As the year warms up you just get used to it. Make sure to carry water, preferably cold. Take it easy. "Listen" to your body. If possible start with shorter rides in the heat. Slowly build up the tolerance.

I lived in Tucson back in the 80s. It's a fun town to ride in. It looks like the infrastructure is better now.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-19, 08:14 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A more active forum you could ask in or Google through is https://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/

There's also a guy in that site's commuting forum who rides in AZ, I recall him from the "best tubeless brew" thread in the 29er subforum.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-19-19, 01:54 PM
Rigsson

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallin
I am worried about the Summer heat (mid-day and evening highs of 105-110 F).

I commute year round, west side to east side & back again, roughly 25 miles round-trip.

As for the heat, remember the temps on the news are taken in the shade at the airport. The 'real' temp out in the sun is at least 15-20 degrees hotter. Plus the reflected heat from the pavement, cars, etc.

Any tips or advice on how to do this safely/semi-comfortably?
Drink water. Lots of water. Wear a wide brim hat for the shade & periodically wet it down for evaporative cooling. Keep an eye out for shade and pull up every few miles to cool down and take water. Learn the signs of heat exhaustion & heat stroke and be aware.

Until you adapt to the heat, you might consider getting a bus pass and alternate riding with mass transit. During rush hour the bike racks can fill up so you might have to wait for the next one to get a space.

In the afternoons we will get intense thunderstorms so, again, be prepared to take shelter. They don't last long but the streets can flood out while they are active.

Obviously these are the extremes, 99% of the time you will have little trouble riding.

Robert
Old 03-13-20, 12:27 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Background: I lived in Tucson for over 20 years, and although I'm not currently there, I consider it my home. I have done multiple rides from Tucson to Phoenix, a couple in the middle of summer, and have a lot of experience riding in the dry, hot conditions (I love the desert, myself).

In addition to the above (drink water!), I highly recommend some good High SPF clothing.

I recommend the long sleeve light colored, slightly loose clothing like Vapor Apparel. You will notice the difference, just in how much less heat you feel from the direct sun. I have the long sleeve silver/reflective jerseys, and a couple of the bandanas. I am waiting for them to make some decent leg sleeves, but I have some Novarae brand (I think) leggings in white for summer riding. I ride a recumbent, so the leggings are more important for me than an upright, but it makes a difference even on an upright bike.

Get a couple of those gel packs that you can soak in water, and wear around your neck.

And drink lots of water. And take breaks when you need to.
Old 04-28-20, 06:54 PM
prighello

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hydration and coverage are the keys I have found. Guy from from Folsom in the above post should be familiar as well as it gets freaking hot there in the summer...105; I used to live there. A mecca for cycling.

Anyway, long sleeves actually help if you wear a lighter color. Good luck!
Old 05-03-20, 12:12 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
I recently relocated to Tucson, AZ and live about 12 miles from work. I would love to start bike commuting but I am worried about the Summer heat (mid-day and evening highs of 105-110 F). I would be early enough in the morning for it to be fairly cool, but coming home between 3 and 5 everyday seems like it would be way too hot to ride that distance. Any tips or advice on how to do this safely/semi-comfortably?

Also, any other Tucson commuters who work down by the airport feel free to PM me. I would love to hear about it.
Lived in Tucson my entire life, and while it's definitely doable, I still wouldn't even think about commuting in the summer.

Why?

You'll be a sweaty mess by the time you get there. Of course this is irrelevant if you have shower facilities at your workplace, or you start quite early in the morning.
Old 05-03-20, 02:22 AM
Maartin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This topic was very beneficial for me - a lot of new tips. Thanks
Old 05-19-20, 11:36 AM
Joeandkristy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I live in Lake Havasu City, AZ. (Moved here about a year ago) Since I am new to this climate, and have a renewed interest in biking, I really appreicate this thread. Alot of good information. Thanks!