Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 12:26 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

Those who refuse to get around via bike will be shunned...
Old 07-10-18, 12:44 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
I hear 'ya brother...

Is that a prediction? Do you really expect flying cars to happen in the future?
Old 07-10-18, 12:44 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
If e-bike usage increases...then more lithium ion batteries need to be produced...Which means in increase in mining where the lithium comes from...then think of all the fossil fueled equipment that is used to mine the lithium...followed by the increase in fossil fuels to transport the lithium (there is only one lithium mine in the U.S. the rest comes from Chile and Australia) from the mine to the battery manufacturer via plane, semi-trucks....then the increase in fossil fuels to manufacture the batteries...then the increase in transporting to move the batteries from the battery company to the bike company. Which means the maintaining of the roads surface still take place.

I don't think the e-bike comes out way ahead in the big picture. For the consumer it does for the rest of it...I don't think so.

The same can be said for hybrid cars. It's well known that hybrid cars do, in fact, require more energy to produce than conventional cars...emitting more greenhouse gases and burning more fossil fuels during the manufacturing process. The production of hybrid batteries requires much more energy than producing a standard car battery and results in higher emission levels of gases like sulfur oxide

Then you get into the pure electric cars...Now you have to produce more power to charge them.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/rachael-neal...-emissions-953
Lithium is fairly cheap and abundant and the prices have only gone up due to rapid increase in demand, and will drop as more mines/extraction sites come on line. Also, the energy needed to move a 100 lb electric bike is tiny compared to a 7,000 lb SUV, so over its lifespan it will consumes far less energy than if the person took their Tahoe to work every day.
Old 07-10-18, 03:58 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Lithium is fairly cheap and abundant and the prices have only gone up due to rapid increase in demand, and will drop as more mines/extraction sites come on line. Also, the energy needed to move a 100 lb electric bike is tiny compared to a 7,000 lb SUV, so over its lifespan it will consumes far less energy than if the person took their Tahoe to work every day.
one of the reasons I have shown interest in LSVs is they only need the same energy as a 90 watt bulb to charge. They would be great for the short hops to the shopping center or the DYI store.

Let us be honest, it is easier to let a electric motor do the work after we have worked all day. It is even easier to let a LSV bring you home after two or three hours on your MTB eating dirt and jumping over rocks.

Even for small projects at home about two thirds of my projects are done with a power tool.

Even car free people aren’t all bicycle people. Many ride in a massive fuel guzzling bus rather than walk. The old slure often made in private is still true. How many have we heard someone.say, “He is so strange, he is always doing things the hard way?” People in general seem to prefer the easy way.
Old 07-10-18, 06:35 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
And the ridicule of dreaming, imagination, and other sparks of progress stifle even the tiniest baby steps in that direction,
Nope. People with good ideas know it and don't aren't even listening to that. I dare say that predictions in the LCF thread have an extremely low potential to influence any development in these areas.
Old 07-10-18, 06:59 PM
McBTC

Sounds crazy?

Let’s think back to people in 1900 in, say, New York. If they worried about people in 2000, what would they worry about? Probably: Where would people get enough horses? And what would they do about all the horse****? Horse pollution was bad in 1900, think how much worse it would be a century later, with so many more people riding horses?

But of course, within a few years, nobody rode horses except for sport. And in 2000, France was getting 80% its power from an energy source that was unknown in 1900... ~Michael Crichton

Old 07-10-18, 07:29 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Walter S
Nope. People with good ideas know it and don't aren't even listening to that. I dare say that predictions in the LCF thread have an extremely low potential to influence any development in these areas.
I don't listen to negativity, but that doesn't stop the negative people from endlessly trying to get me to submit to their negative view of my thoughts and ideas. I think the ridicule is so common now, people have forgotten what the alternative is, i.e. having constructive discussions about how to refine ideas to higher levels of viability. In other words, stop putting things down and start analyzing what someone is trying to accomplish with their idea and contribute constructive feedback by thinking of a way to tweek the idea to make it more viable. If discussions like that happened, it would be very optimistic and pleasant, but that isn't what happens because of the culture of negativity and ridicule that permeates.
Old 07-10-18, 07:31 PM
tandempower

Sounds crazy?
Why are you asking? Why don't you just post your actual thoughts on flying cars? What are you afraid you might get ridiculed as badly as you ridicule LCF? What might give you that idea?
Old 07-10-18, 07:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I've seen the way they drive on land lately, giving them airspace doesn't help anything.
Old 07-10-18, 08:09 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Why are you asking? Why don't you just post your actual thoughts on flying cars? What are you afraid you might get ridiculed as badly as you ridicule LCF? What might give you that idea?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-10-18, 08:10 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Just checking in. Making sure y'all are nice to each other...
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-10-18, 09:17 PM
McBTC

I wouldn't ridicule someone who had no appreciation for a car... with or without wheels. That would be like ridiculing someone because they couldn't play the piano.
Old 07-10-18, 09:21 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

I wouldn't ridicule someone who had no appreciation for a car... with or without wheels. That would be like ridiculing someone because they couldn't play the piano.
Yep. This is LIVING CAR FREE
Old 07-11-18, 03:08 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't listen to negativity, but that doesn't stop the negative people from endlessly trying to get me to submit to their negative view of my thoughts and ideas. I think the ridicule is so common now, people have forgotten what the alternative is, i.e. having constructive discussions about how to refine ideas to higher levels of viability. In other words, stop putting things down and start analyzing what someone is trying to accomplish with their idea and contribute constructive feedback by thinking of a way to tweek the idea to make it more viable. If discussions like that happened, it would be very optimistic and pleasant, but that isn't what happens because of the culture of negativity and ridicule that permeates.
Get off your soapbox about "negativity" (OMG! ). Most of the things you write about assume things that I can't accept as valid so going down the path of your thread directly as you try to lead it won't work for me. I have to stop and question (what you call "negativity") the whole idea first.
Old 07-11-18, 07:27 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Walter S
Get off your soapbox about "negativity" (OMG! ). Most of the things you write about assume things that I can't accept as valid so going down the path of your thread directly as you try to lead it won't work for me. I have to stop and question (what you call "negativity") the whole idea first.
When you ridicule me as being on a soapbox, that is negativity. It is mean spirited. You are trying to cut me down, get me to shut my 'big mouth.' If you had a constructive spirit, you would recognize that such negativity only sows bad feelings and you would agree that there should be more constructive, positive, and respectful ways to handle differences.
Old 07-11-18, 07:35 AM
tandempower

Is this somehow leading into your forecast regarding flying cars?
Old 07-11-18, 07:46 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Enough. Be nice as Siu said. It’s easy - respect each other’s opinions and if you don’t, ignore those posts.
Old 07-11-18, 09:21 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Thanks!
Old 07-11-18, 10:46 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
I don't listen to negativity...
You don't listen to/accept realism either.

Haven't seen anyone being negative in this thread.
Old 07-11-18, 12:16 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by prj71
You don't listen to/accept realism either.

Haven't seen anyone being negative in this thread.
There might be a cognitive mechanism for ignoring negativity similar to nose-blindness that happens when you are exposed to the same odor for a long time.
Old 07-11-18, 02:01 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Closed. Bickering.