Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Suggestion - Hybrid with shared off-road abilities

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 08:15 PM
BNads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find myself in the market for a hybrid, and am considering stepping up to something with a little more trail ability, while maintaining a good road pedigree. I'm not hitting single trails with it or anything - just some gravel trails. I was leaning towards a Trek DS2, but my recent dealings with their CS/Warranty departments have left a sour taste. What would you guys suggest? I'm considering Cannonade, although my wife has been riding a Kona for 10 years now and it's a tank.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-18, 11:47 PM
MK79

Bikes: Orange Five (2018 - Custom Build) Merida Crossway 300 (2016), Raleigh Storm (2014)

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BNads
I find myself in the market for a hybrid, and am considering stepping up to something with a little more trail ability, while maintaining a good road pedigree. I'm not hitting single trails with it or anything - just some gravel trails. I was leaning towards a Trek DS2, but my recent dealings with their CS/Warranty departments have left a sour taste. What would you guys suggest? I'm considering Cannonade, although my wife has been riding a Kona for 10 years now and it's a tank.

Thanks in advance.
As an exmaple, i do have Merida Crossway 300 (2016) which is bit more MTB oriented hybrid. I did some modification on it for trail biking. Maybe closer to an XC bike.

1) Shortened stem from adjustable 110mm to 60mm (non adjustable)
2) Wider handlebar (from 660mm to 785mm and cut it down to 760mm) with bit lower rise.
3) Bigger tires. Stock tires Merida Speeder (42-622) to Schwalbe Smart Sam (47-622) Great all-arounder, and cheap!
4) Stock pedals off to Cranckbrothers Stamp 2 (small)

Thinking about buy better front fork as 63mm isnt really enough for me, keeps hitting at maximum when i'm on trails
Old 07-16-18, 09:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
If you like the concept of a Trek DS, then look also at the Specialized Crosstrail and the Giant Roam. Cannondale has the Quick CX series. Jamis and Kona both have entries in this market also. I have a Roam and it takes 29x2" tires pretty easily (I currently have Schwalbe Hurricane 50x622 on it) and it's a super comfortable bike. They're not light. There are trade-offs with having a suspension fork and larger tires. Handlebar width can really make a bike feel big. I think I may trim my Roam's bars just slightly. They're about 66cm right now, and I really tend to like something in the 58-62cm range.
Old 07-17-18, 01:07 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like gravel is worse than a lot of single track/ hard packed dirt unless you mean crushed stone which is similar to hard packed dirt assuming it is packed crushed stone and not too loose. Some hard packed dirt with some gravel fire road access road is likely what you mean. Gravel trail has a broad meaning I guess. I wouldn't even want to ride a mtn bike or fat bike on gravel. DS looks good, Giant roam is very trail worthy. Just look at tire width as some hybrids are fitness bikes with thin road bike type tires. I'd want almost 2 fingers width tires. A cruiser beach bike would be fine but a bit dorky unless you're a hipster with a beard or Dorothy.
Old 07-17-18, 04:14 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a 2017 Giant ATX lite and I really like it. I believe they replaced it with this.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-arx
Old 07-18-18, 02:51 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by MK79
As an exmaple, i do have Merida Crossway 300 (2016) which is bit more MTB oriented hybrid. I did some modification on it for trail biking. Maybe closer to an XC bike.

1) Shortened stem from adjustable 110mm to 60mm (non adjustable)
2) Wider handlebar (from 660mm to 785mm and cut it down to 760mm) with bit lower rise.
3) Bigger tires. Stock tires Merida Speeder (42-622) to Schwalbe Smart Sam (47-622) Great all-arounder, and cheap!
4) Stock pedals off to Cranckbrothers Stamp 2 (small)

Thinking about buy better front fork as 63mm isnt really enough for me, keeps hitting at maximum when i'm on trails
Seems to me you should have bought a mountain bike in the first place - after you replace the fork with one with larger travel, you'll have pretty much converted your hybrid to a MTB.
Old 07-18-18, 06:47 AM
MK79

Bikes: Orange Five (2018 - Custom Build) Merida Crossway 300 (2016), Raleigh Storm (2014)

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by subgrade
Seems to me you should have bought a mountain bike in the first place - after you replace the fork with one with larger travel, you'll have pretty much converted your hybrid to a MTB.
Pretty much is and should have. At the time i bought that one i didn't know i love to bike in forests and so on as much i've been so far So yes, looking for an MTB bike around next year