Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

New Pendleton Access Rules?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 08:47 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Got the new ID at Pendleton this morning. Took about 45 minutes for five of us; I believe everyone was previously registered online, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference. We were told by the clerks that we "hit it just right," as they had been swamped, and our brief wait times were maybe atypical, as some riders had been waiting between 2 to 3 hours yesterday (Tuesday 7/24). I'm not sure why that was the case. There were three windows staffed, but only two were taking care of cyclists.

Talking amongst ourselves-- one of the riders I was with has been transiting Pendleton for 25 years on a bike-- it seems the USMC is slowly throttling the cyclist volume on the post. One might hope that at some future date there is a new dedicated bike path, maybe like what was built next to the 101 between Carpinteria and Ventura, to get riders through Pendleton.
Old 07-26-18, 01:26 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
Got the new ID at Pendleton this morning. Took about 45 minutes for five of us; I believe everyone was previously registered online, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference. We were told by the clerks that we "hit it just right," as they had been swamped, and our brief wait times were maybe atypical, as some riders had been waiting between 2 to 3 hours yesterday (Tuesday 7/24). I'm not sure why that was the case. There were three windows staffed, but only two were taking care of cyclists.

Talking amongst ourselves-- one of the riders I was with has been transiting Pendleton for 25 years on a bike-- it seems the USMC is slowly throttling the cyclist volume on the post. One might hope that at some future date there is a new dedicated bike path, maybe like what was built next to the 101 between Carpinteria and Ventura, to get riders through Pendleton.
agreed
Old 07-31-18, 12:54 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've read thru many of these posts and skimmed the rest. Within the next week or so I plan on biking south from OC to SD on a loaded bike (so not a local/regular ride). It's a one time thing. I see that my ride thru the zone of 2.5 years ago is no longer, but from what I'm reading above the pass is not req'd until the fall, thus I can ride thru Camp Pend? Can anyone confirm I'll have to do it before mid-August? It was confusing when I did it 2.5 years ago, so if I can do it like that, where do I enter the camp from the north? Thanks.
Old 08-03-18, 01:47 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
You're clearly in a hurry, so I'll keep this brief: No.
Old 08-03-18, 10:53 AM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
you're clearly in a hurry, so i'll keep this brief: No.
lol
Old 08-17-18, 03:03 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a friend who is pretty bold about riding surface streets and highways-- much more so than I am-- yet he refuses to ride I-5 on this stretch. He's done Vancouver to Mexico a couple of times, plus a number of multi-day rides here and there around CA, so I'm pretty sure he has good reasons (I've not asked).

It happens that I plan to be riding thru Pendleton next week, or I probably would have ignored these new requirements and blown off future OC --> San Diego rides, but might as well get a pass.

I-5 Instead of Pendleton (with annoying music)

I'm willing to try I-5 once.... I have a riding buddy who says it's not an issue, as long as you avoid the crap that accumulates in the "bike lane" I'm pretty much done with Pendleton. I think their new requirements are too invasive. They also make it difficult to get the pass for those who work full time, and can't just take a day to get over to the base.
Ask your friend why he doesn't. I think it would be beneficial to this thread.
Old 08-17-18, 03:05 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
I've read thru many of these posts and skimmed the rest. Within the next week or so I plan on biking south from OC to SD on a loaded bike (so not a local/regular ride). It's a one time thing. I see that my ride thru the zone of 2.5 years ago is no longer, but from what I'm reading above the pass is not req'd until the fall, thus I can ride thru Camp Pend? Can anyone confirm I'll have to do it before mid-August? It was confusing when I did it 2.5 years ago, so if I can do it like that, where do I enter the camp from the north? Thanks.
Previous to this new overhaul, you would go to the website, register with some information, and you would have base access for a year. That policy is still grandfathered in. Their instruction has been confusing at best Check for the latest direction of the wind, as they change their policy just as much.
Old 08-19-18, 06:31 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
One might hope that at some future date there is a new dedicated bike path, maybe like what was built next to the 101 between Carpinteria and Ventura, to get riders through Pendleton.
That bike path next to the 101 is divine, rode it yesterday on Cool Breeze. They need to run a street sweeper though there though.

I don't know why bike paths are so bloody expensive to build in this state.
Old 08-20-18, 11:01 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by Cykilist2
Ask your friend why he doesn't. I think it would be beneficial to this thread.
Just in case we never hear back from his friend, here're two reasons I really, really mislike bicycling on the 5 through Pendleton (especially Northbound):

~The traffic frequently averages over 80mph. I've been going 85 in the slow lane and had annoyed people backed up behind me. Not once, but lots of times.
~Cell phone central. Not half, but well over 1/4 of the drivers I see on that "boring" stretch have cell phones in front of their stupid faces.

I'll take Pton's "invasiveness" over public disembowelment on the bumper of some texting millennial's SUV bumper, and creating an annoying traffic jam while the EMTs come to shovel away my entrails.

Last edited by calamarichris; 08-20-18 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 03:33 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
About two weeks ago I biked thru the Camp Pendleton area from San Clemente to Oceanside using I-5. If you want to know the details on it, contact me directly. Simply put, the ride was fine.
Old 08-29-18, 08:57 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

About two weeks ago I biked thru the Camp Pendleton area from San Clemente to Oceanside using I-5. If you want to know the details on it, contact me directly. Simply put, the ride was fine.
Did you ride back Northbound on the 5 as well? Southbound is upwind of the thousands of tailpipes that will pass you, and you generally have a quartering tailwind. Northbound not so much.
Old 08-30-18, 10:50 PM
MikeEckhaus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Got my pass today. No line at all. In an out in less than 15 minutes. It's just unfortunate that they don't have hours that a lot of people can deal with.
Old 08-30-18, 11:24 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Got an email from the base:
That email was only indication I got actually acknowledging that my registration over the web had ever been received... just having a guard scan my DL at the gate didn't make it clear.

The card has a picture so, I guess you won't even need a DL...

PS-- there are 3 craft breweries and one craft distiller in San Clemente now and another (brewer) is due sometime next year...

Last edited by McBTC; 08-30-18 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-30-18, 11:40 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
The entrance from the north is at Las Pulgas but the email indicated to me that the previous web-based system is no longer used to take new registrations.
Old 08-31-18, 01:09 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeEckhaus
Got my pass today. No line at all. In an out in less than 15 minutes. It's just unfortunate that they don't have hours that a lot of people can deal with.
Is it really unfortunate, or is it deliberate? Wouldn't the USMC be happy to see fewer cyclists passing through the base?

Originally Posted by McBTC
[...]there are 3 craft breweries and one craft distiller in San Clemente now and another (brewer) is due sometime next year...
If I'm cycling S/B through Pendleton on the way to Oceanside or points south, I need a beer like I need another hole in my head. But, maybe if I am catching a train back from San Clemente...