Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

PCH south of San Fransisco July or August?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 07:25 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

The one and only time I toured the PCH south of San Fransisco to Santa Barbara was in September. Theory being the traffic would be lighter after Labor Day. The plan seemed to work out well. There was still a bit of traffic but there were only a few places where I felt uncomfortable.

Has anyone done this in July or August? What did you think about the traffic in this stretch?
Old 09-03-18, 08:17 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
July-August is the foggy season along the California coast, especially the northern 2/3 of your route. That can be cold and windy as well as obscuring a lot of the coastal scenery. Fall weather is much nicer, as well as having much less car and RV traffic. December through April is the rainy season.
Old 09-03-18, 08:33 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

How late in the year would you go?

My problem is, I would like to return on the California Zephyr (I will take the Starlight to Sacramento). It would be nice to be able to maximize that daylight hours for the train ride back I did it this year in June and the ride was awesome Good thing I went in June because we were late going into Denver. It was dark by the time we got there.

But if it is going to jeopardize the . tour itself, it is worth the risk that Amtrak will be on time. It is supposed to get into Denver at 6:30 so even in September there still should be light at thaty tiem.
Old 09-04-18, 10:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Since California is in a continuing drought, and has had numerous fires ,
It's different now then when I rode SF to SD, long ago..

4 September , better get started and cope with the current conditions as you find them..

Yes, with school resuming, family vacations have ended, now there is just regular commerce ..
and retired motorhomers ..

Old 09-04-18, 12:06 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by fietsbob

4 September , better get started and cope with the current conditions as you find them..

Huh???
Old 09-05-18, 02:39 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I did part of your route last year during the summer. I was in Salinas on July 4th, so that means I had already reached Monterrey by then. Due to the dangerousness of no shoulder south of Monterrey (even if there had been no slide), I headed inland instead of continuing on the coast road. I rejoined it south of San Luis Obispo - I think that's around Pismo Beach. I arrived in Carpinteria on Aug. 2nd, so this is your time frame. Don't remember thinking anything specially bad about the traffic and there is always a shoulder as I recall. When there isn't, I take side/back roads. The only difference that I could tell between winter and summer on this route (3 years ago I biked from Oceanside up to SLO) is that the beach is much busier in the summer. Also, there were more street people last year than in the winter (I free camp).