Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking on 28h 27.5+ wheels?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 08:36 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I'd prefer 32h, especially for the rear, but it seems like 28h is more common, and I found a good deal on some good-looking wheels. The rims are 35 mm internal width, double-butted spokes. I'll probably run 27.5" x 2.8" tires on them.

A-OK or bad idea?
Old 11-30-18, 10:25 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Currently the 27.5 tire option is still, pretty much, in the performance bike (MtB, Allroad) category. So finding nice and expensive wheels with 32 or 36 spokes in this size is unlikely without a custom build up.

Your question has no finite answer, just opinions of the shades of grays. More spokes means less load per spoke. More spokes mean less issues if there should be an issue while miles away from replacements.

My usual answer for these open ended questions is "the wheels will work fine, until they don't" Andy
Old 11-30-18, 10:27 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
This is a question for your wheel builder. Not all hub/rim/spoke combinations are at all equal even when built well....and even then it depends on what you and the bike and your stuff weigh

A 130# flyweight with a 20# bike and 30# of stuff would probably be just jake. A 220# rider and a 25# bike and the same 30# of stuff probably wouldn't.
Old 11-30-18, 11:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Skill + tools

Can you replace broken spokes in the Bush?

Old is New..
27.5" is 650B , an old French utility bike tire size

uses akin to US 26 ..1.5"

<How about just do it, and report back?>

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-04-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-30-18, 12:03 PM
BlarneyHammer

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Can you replace broken spokes in the Bush?
I can if I have to, but I'd prefer not to. Only done it once, and it wasn't my bike. I've always road toured on 32h (front and rear) with no issues, not even going out of true.

I'm a small guy and I pack reasonably light, so that helps.
Old 11-30-18, 12:16 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I bought these for $500 from Ibis. I am fairly sure they are 32h.

Ibis 738 Aluminum Wheelset-Boost ? Ibis Cycles Online Store

I have 27.5 x 2.8 Nobby Nics on them.

Mine are boost BTW.

On a different bike, I have two 700c on/off road wheelsets. Both have the same rims, and similar quality hubs. One has a 32 spoke rear wheel and the other has a 28 spoke rear wheel. As far as I am able to tell, the 28 spoke wheel is just as stable. I weigh about 200 lbs with bike clothes, etc., and have put about 35 lbs of gear on the bike (also about 25 lbs with racks, water bottles, etc).

Keep in mind the smaller wheels and fatter tires will work in your favor as well. I think you will be fine with 28 spokes. (If they break, it is likely the quality of the build.)

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 11-30-18 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 12:57 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer
I'd prefer 32h, especially for the rear, but it seems like 28h is more common, and I found a good deal on some good-looking wheels. The rims are 35 mm internal width, double-butted spokes. I'll probably run 27.5" x 2.8" tires on them. A-OK or bad idea?
If you care to DIY, Velocity has 4 rims in 584mm BSD, width from 30 to 45mm, choice of 32h or 36h on 3 of 4 rims, 3 rims are disc brake only, 1 is rim or disc. Blunt and Dually rims can apparently be purchased in twelve different anodized finishes. If your bike is 100/135mm QR compatible, you could combine rims with Shimano XT 756 hubs and Wheelsmith DB spokes for a durable, relatively inexpensive build. I lack experience with Shimano's through-axle hubs and thus cannot offer recommendation.

https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims#sizes-tab

QBP-affliated LBS can order "Quality Wheels" that are pretty cheap, most appear to be 32h:

https://www.modernbike.com/s?search=27.5+wheel
Old 11-30-18, 04:05 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
I can if I have to, but I'd prefer not to. Only done it once, and it wasn't my bike. I've always road toured on 32h (front and rear) with no issues, not even going out of true.

I'm a small guy and I pack reasonably light, so that helps.
re dealing with a busted spoke, I highly recommend getting a fibre fix spoke replacement thing, weighs hardly anything and is an easy small backup.
re being a small guy and packing light, this is a big bonus. I too am a light guy and 32h 26in wheels have lasted really well with fully loaded touring (40, 50lbs of stuff), using 2in tires---I would run 42f 45r psi, and with 2.8's you'll be able to run much less pressure, so a lot more cushion and give that will make life easier on the wheelset.
Old 12-04-18, 03:37 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Light weight yourself, light packer, large high volume tires, you’ll be fine. Maybe have a shop check them over before the trip, but I personally wouldn’t worry about it. If it makes you feel any better, I did some pretty decent rocky stuff on my 350g rim 650b wheels and have done miles of very rocky stuff with them on my mountain bike(I use the same wheels on both bikes). That was also using a 2” tire, so a lot less cushion than you’re planning to have. They’re 32h wheels, but very light rims, which in should take less abuse than a heavier rim with more material. As long as they’re quality wheels, you should be fine.
Old 12-04-18, 02:15 PM
djb

Originally Posted by 3speed
Light weight yourself, light packer, large high volume tires, you’ll be fine. Maybe have a shop check them over before the trip, but I personally wouldn’t worry about it. If it makes you feel any better, I did some pretty decent rocky stuff on my 350g rim 650b wheels and have done miles of very rocky stuff with them on my mountain bike(I use the same wheels on both bikes). That was also using a 2” tire, so a lot less cushion than you’re planning to have. They’re 32h wheels, but very light rims, which in should take less abuse than a heavier rim with more material. As long as they’re quality wheels, you should be fine.
if possible, try to get some reliable recommendations of which mechanics are really the best for doing spoke tension. Proper spoke tension always goes a long way to making sure things stay stable, but try to make sure that the mechanic in question has the experience to know what tensions to put them to.
Overtightened spokes can lead to cracks in rims, essentially ruining the rim.
Old 12-05-18, 10:08 AM
BlarneyHammer

Originally Posted by djb
which mechanics are really the best for doing spoke tension
I live in a small town with no bike shop, but the mid-sized college town 30 minutes away has a tiny shop that somehow does the best service/repairs I've seen anywhere. My spokes will be in good hands.
Old 12-05-18, 01:13 PM
djb

I live in a small town with no bike shop, but the mid-sized college town 30 minutes away has a tiny shop that somehow does the best service/repairs I've seen anywhere. My spokes will be in good hands.
while I can take a bike apart to the bearings and put it back together reasonably competently, I never have gotten good at doing wheels, can only do rudimentary stuff and dont consider my abilities worth much. Because of this, Ive always figured it was worth paying the small amount to a good mechanic to check my wheels over before a trip, and like you, as I'm not heavy, Ive had a pretty good track record for not having spoke issues.
The only time was when the spokes were probably overtightened a bit too much, and a few months later, when cleaning the bike up for winter, I noticed nearly all the driveside spoke holes had cracks, surprising given that I weigh 135 and wasnt packing any more than other trips, ie about 40lbs.

and to mention again, those large tires make a huge diff to putting so much less forces into a wheel due to the lower pressures, and my 32 spoke 26in wheels handled my heavy recemt tours really well with those 2in tires.