Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

replacement Ortlieb clips and options

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 07:51 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts

I had to laugh, not long ago some guy asked about replacing clips, we gave answers but he never came back to the thread, so I dont what he or she did--it had been years since I broke a clip but......
A few days later, I broke one of my rear roller clips, so here are the options for others in the same boat, either putting in generic clips or Ortlieb ones.

years ago, i replaced clips on both sides of my old old rear rollers, as both side had busted clips. Bought outdoor store generic well made knapsack or whatever clips of same width, and to avoid cutting webbing, I came up with the idea to use a hacksaw and cut a diagonal cut in the new clip, so I could feed the existing webbing through it and figured the angle would help with it not pulling off or out, as the force would go against teh clip. This repair lasted at least 7 or 8 years, and is still going.

See photo of new clip I put on the 1993 purple ortliebs, and I drew a red line to show where the cut is underneath teh webbing you cant see.

with the recent break, because its the middle clip on the rear rollers I have now, I use this clip to hold on my rackpack by Ortlieb, and have done this on three trips, and really like this system, fast to put on and off, secure, and reliable. I rode all trhough Central America and parts of Mexico with this rack on, and it was held on great.
Because of the extra force on this clip holding this rackpack on, I didnt want to do my cutting job again.
I bought some replacement clips, but although they have same width as the originals, the inner parts of the male part dont fit into the female part.
I went back to store and harrangued them to look for the box of Ortlieb parts I knew they had but they couldnt find the other day, and sure enough, they found a kit of 2 sets, so 2 femaile and 2 male parts--for 6 bucks Canuck.

see photos, as replaceements, to avoid having to cut webbing, they have an opening system of detach/attach on the male part, and the female part has the same concept slot as what I did before, but the slot is a lot wider than what I did.
I had broken the usual male part, probably the most common break, the tabs break off, so Iwill replace just the one male part, as this is the part that attaches to the female part of the rackpack.

while this clip has the system of attach/detach , an arm that can be opened and closed, Im hoping its as strong as the original, and this way I dont have to change all the parts of both pannier and rackpack for generic ones that dont seem to fit in ortlieb clips (caveat, probably with some sanding or cutting, I could have tried the generic one to fit, but as they had theortlieb set, this is easier)

I plan to stick the spares into my parts and tool bag for long trips, i have them, and could help if a clip broke again.

you can also see teh part number, Article E117

hope this helps folks

Last edited by djb; 12-04-18 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 07:52 AM
djb

oh, and just to be clear, the generic set I originally got, on the male part, the middle larger prong or whatever you want to call it, was too thick to even fit into the original ortlieb female part. I guess in a pinch I could have filed or sanded it down to be able to see if the two outer prongs engaged properly and securely in the ortlieb female part, but I figured I'd bug them again in case they had originals.

I guess thats the danger of sourcing diff clips, that the shapes may not fit in properly into similar looking other brands, even if you file down the middle part, but I never tried it out.
If the other spares I have kicking around somewhere ever turn up, I may take a file to one just to do a test.
Old 12-05-18, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
they have kept changing the buckles, they use, over the years of bag production,
so buying both (M&F) is a good option..
Old 12-05-18, 01:05 PM
djb

Originally Posted by fietsbob
they have kept changing the buckles, they use, over the years of bag production,
so buying both (M&F) is a good option..
and while I dont remember stepping on or shutting this one that broke in a door or something, I realize that my orange rear rollers have travelled four times as baggage in airplanes, and have been in duffle bags a few times on some supported trips (in the planes theyve been in an old duffle bag also, and also in cheap "China bags" ) so I guess the chances of some good bangs and whacks were there.
I think I bought them 6 years ago ish.
Old 12-06-18, 01:47 PM
djb

thanks for that Robert
two questions:
-how old are your rollers, more or less, if not sure, show a photo
-how did you replace them each time, did you cut the webbing and resew (or have a shoe repair place do it)? Or did you improvise as I did, with a slot cut in?
Old 12-06-18, 03:41 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
thanks for that Robert
two questions:
-how old are your rollers, more or less, if not sure, show a photo
-how did you replace them each time, did you cut the webbing and resew (or have a shoe repair place do it)? Or did you improvise as I did, with a slot cut in?

My panniers both front and rear classic rollers are probably 8 years old. Since,at least in my case, the female part never breaks, the is no need to replace it. If I did, you diagonal cut is a good solution. Stupidly, I don't know how to post pictures anymore. Several years ago, it was simple- hit the attach file button and then download the file off you computer.