Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

book recommendations - learning history/ecology while on bike tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 12-07-18, 06:47 AM
Lively or Not

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage, 1976 Araya commuter (yes, they make frames)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Summer 2019 I'll be touring solo from NE Oklahoma to Seattle, WA. Ideally, I'd read up on the history and ecology along my route before leaving home. But that's not going to happen, so I figure rather than cycle blindly halfway across the country, I can learn about where I am as I go.

The states I'm cycling through are Kansas, Nebraska, Montana, Idaho panhandle, and Washington. I may take a couple zero days in the corners of South Dakota (Badlands/Mt. Rushmore/Crazy Horse) and/or Wyoming (Devil's Tower).

Does anyone have book recommendations that would offer a historical or ecological introduction to any of these states? I'm open to learning through non-fiction, fiction, memoir, even poetry. I'd like a mix of different types of books - some narrative, some guide-style, some general overview, some deep dive on a single topic, etc.

A couple of practical notes... I'll probably use a Kindle or audiobook, so don't worry about how long a book is. If a book isn't available digitally, I'll get it mailed to/from home en route. Relatedly, the goal isn't to read everything cover-to-cover, but to use these books to engage my curiosity, give me something to think about while biking that's related to where I am, and inform where I choose to wander off my planned route.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-18, 07:01 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Books and essays by John Muir are always a good way to get your mind right. Don Miguel Ruiz has authored some fine books to raise your level of awareness. Maybe now is the time to start Atlas Shrugged if you've been procrastinating?
Old 12-07-18, 07:45 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Many years ago, I read the book about the Lewis and Clark expedition from St Louis to the Pacific Ocean. Much of it was completely unknown territory to them. The northwest before European settlers arrived. You'll cross their path on your tour.
The book: Undaunted Courage .

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-07-18 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-07-18, 08:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Not what you asked for but...

The Mickelson Trail will get you up from Edgemont, SD, take you right past Crazy Horse (you can literally see it from the trail), and bring you to Hill City. If you really want to see Mt. Rushmore you can spend a couple of nights in Hill City and do a loop day ride to the monument. There is a cool back road from Hill City to Keystone. It follows the historic rail line that runs steam train rides between the two towns. Plan your ride so you are on the road while the train is making one its runs to Keystone. The tracks cross the road in several locations. Pretty cool experience. Then you climb (steeply) up SD 244 to the monument and continue on it back towards Hill City. There is a nice commercial campground (Crooked Creek) in Hill City that is right along the trail.

You can then continue on the Mickelson to its northern terminus in Deadwood, head over to Spearfish, which has the nicest municipal campground I have ever seen, and head west into WY for Devil's Tower. Knowing what I know, I could exit the trail at the Engelwood trailhead, take U.S. 14A to Cheyenne Crossing, then Savoy then down Spearfish Canyon to the town of Spearfish.
Old 12-07-18, 09:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
The larger national parks, and some of the smaller ones, have gift shops, and most of those have books about the park and/or the area. Some state parks do too. Those would be good places to find relevant books. Of course, you might find out two weeks later that if you'd only gone down that deserted road a half a mile, you would have seen that awesome historical site, or nifty geological formation, etc.

Perhaps you could look online for these and pick out a few books ahead of time (one example, not on your route, is https://www.smokiesinformation.org/ and click on "Official Park Store."). If you must, you can note the titles and buy them through Amazon. Since I like the support many of these organizations provide the associated parks, I'd more likely order the book(s) from the store(s), try to read them riding to the park, and mail the book(s) home as I left the area.
Old 12-07-18, 10:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Stop and visit local history museums along the way? Plan to alter your route to take them in..?
Old 12-07-18, 02:09 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I'll second the Lewis and Clark expedition suggestion. I've been reading up on it for an upcoming Katy Trail trip in the spring. Living near many Civil War battlefields, I've always found that being there in person brings history alive. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of words, pictures and maps that don't give the complete story.
Old 12-08-18, 09:28 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not what you asked for but...

The Mickelson Trail will get you up from Edgemont, SD, take you right past Crazy Horse (you can literally see it from the trail), and bring you to Hill City. If you really want to see Mt. Rushmore you can spend a couple of nights in Hill City and do a loop day ride to the monument. There is a cool back road from Hill City to Keystone. It follows the historic rail line that runs steam train rides between the two towns. Plan your ride so you are on the road while the train is making one its runs to Keystone. The tracks cross the road in several locations. Pretty cool experience. Then you climb (steeply) up SD 244 to the monument and continue on it back towards Hill City. There is a nice commercial campground (Crooked Creek) in Hill City that is right along the trail.

You can then continue on the Mickelson to its northern terminus in Deadwood, head over to Spearfish, which has the nicest municipal campground I have ever seen, and head west into WY for Devil's Tower. Knowing what I know, I could exit the trail at the Engelwood trailhead, take U.S. 14A to Cheyenne Crossing, then Savoy then down Spearfish Canyon to the town of Spearfish.
Great suggestions. Thanks! I've been scoping out some detours to explore this area. I'll take a look at these roads.
Old 12-08-18, 09:31 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Books and essays by John Muir are always a good way to get your mind right. Don Miguel Ruiz has authored some fine books to raise your level of awareness. Maybe now is the time to start Atlas Shrugged if you've been procrastinating?
I gave Atlas Shrugged the once-over years ago. Something tells me Ms. Rand's prose will be a bit too serious after a long day in the saddle. But Muir and Ruiz sound like great options!
Old 12-08-18, 09:34 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Of course, you might find out two weeks later that if you'd only gone down that deserted road a half a mile, you would have seen that awesome historical site, or nifty geological formation, etc.
Knowing my luck, that's just what would happen! I like your idea of finding local orgs online for lists of books.
Old 12-08-18, 09:36 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Many years ago, I read the book about the Lewis and Clark expedition from St Louis to the Pacific Ocean. Much of it was completely unknown territory to them. The northwest before European settlers arrived. You'll cross their path on your tour.
The book: Undaunted Courage .

Great idea! Stephen Ambrose is a great writer and researcher.
Old 12-08-18, 09:40 AM
Lively or Not

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Stop and visit local history museums along the way? Plan to alter your route to take them in..?
Absolutely! In Wymore, NE there's a Great Plains Welsh Heritage Museum that I can't wait to visit.