Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Dropper posts on gravel bikes...

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 01-07-19, 06:03 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I searched and didn't find too much discussion about this yet. I'm seeing some gravel rigs starting to come with dropper posts. Got me thinking. I have plenty of gnarly descents where I ride - steep, rutted out, rocky, etc....I can only get my butt so far back with my hands in the drops. Thinking of trying something like this: https://www.kssuspension.com/product/eten/
Looks like a simple and affordable way to try it. I don't need a remote--my bars are cluttered enough.
Anybody rocking something like this on their gravel rig?

Last edited by pbass; 01-07-19 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 07:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If I could obtain a decent* dropper in 27.2 I'd have one on the bike right now. Because sometimes the steeper descents, with my absurd saddle-to-bar drop, are rendered scarier than they need to be. Also, the ability to just sit in the saddle at stoplights would be nice.

I would need a remote, though. PNW Pine looks promising, just too rich for my cheap blood. That eTen Lever is under a hundred bucks on JensonUSA...

*decent meaning: around a pound (at most,) and/or less than $200.
Old 01-07-19, 07:58 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Because sometimes the steeper descents, with my absurd saddle-to-bar drop, are rendered scarier than they need to be.
That's what I'm talkin' bout. I never actually felt like I needed one much on my hardtail/rigid mtb, as my riding position was so slack, but now that I'm riding pretty much everywhere I USED to mtb on a drop-bar rig I can actually see the benefit more. I go to the drops on these gnarly steep descents because I want the secure grip, but yeah, gets pretty terrifying at times. I see you're in SoCal too, so you know what I mean over here in the San Gabriels, etc.
Old 01-07-19, 08:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Scary: in the drops, butt sticking as far back as you can to keep the rear tire on the ground, going down a washed-out 15%
Scarier: when your shorts get stuck on the saddle as you go over a bump, and your rear wheel and buttocks become one mechanism
Old 01-07-19, 09:03 PM
pbass

Scary: in the drops, butt sticking as far back as you can to keep the rear tire on the ground, going down a washed-out 15%
Where I like to ride over here it's nearly impossible to NOT experience this nearly every time out! Was just coming down a section of Cherry Canyon yesterday and got spooked and had to get off and walk. If I could get my rear end down lower I could have ridden it out. We'll see. I could throw a QR collar on there I guess just to try out the concept on the cheap on this bike, before springing for a dropper.
Old 01-08-19, 11:39 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Scarier: when your shorts get stuck on the saddle as you go over a bump, and your rear wheel and buttocks become one mechanism
My solution was to get used to riding the descents on the hoods. It has its nervy moments, but nothing close to the white knuckle terror of being in the drops when its steep and loose. I have a 90mm stem and set my bars just below level with my saddle. Its not an aggressive look but it is proving to be more painless and less bloody, plus I can descend more quickly. Recently I rotated the bars further back so I can reach the brake levers more easily. I will get off and walk the bike. I've also hooked my shorts up on my saddle - like Stan Laurel on a step ladder, but not funny.
Old 01-08-19, 12:04 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by Bingod
My solution was to get used to riding the descents on the hoods.
I hear ya. I stay on the hoods until it gets too rough and I want maximum grip. Around here, that happens pretty often--it's not just steep, but often rocky and rutty (and BIG rocks). I guess it's safe to say I'm frequently "underbiking" with my gravel bike.
Old 01-08-19, 01:04 PM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I hear ya. I stay on the hoods until it gets too rough and I want maximum grip. Around here, that happens pretty often--it's not just steep, but often rocky and rutty (and BIG rocks). I guess it's safe to say I'm frequently "underbiking" with my gravel bike.
I hear you - and i think the under-biking is where i get much of the fun out of gravel biking. Im happy to pick my way up and down the steep parts and really learn the terrain and control the bike. Maybe I'm a sucker for punishment - i used ski free heel when all my friends skied alpine.
Old 01-08-19, 01:31 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by Bingod
Maybe I'm a sucker for punishment
Ha! Yep. Before getting into the gravel bike thing my sole bike for about 3 years was my rigid singlespeed 29'r MTB. My friends on their full sus rigs always thought I was crazy, considering where we live. I can pick a good line as a result tho!
Old 01-08-19, 08:40 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Ha! Yep. Before getting into the gravel bike thing my sole bike for about 3 years was my rigid singlespeed 29'r MTB. My friends on their full sus rigs always thought I was crazy, considering where we live. I can pick a good line as a result tho!
Ever tried to ride up that trail just north of Descanso Gardens right off Descanso Dr.? There is a sign that says to get off and walk. I made it up the first one or two switchbacks and then got off and pushed my bike. Each switchback had a railroad tie held in place with galvanized pipes and I knew I was gonna 'eat it' and fall on one of those pipes. Looked at my Strava later and a lot of it is 25%. I didn't come down that way... came down Cherry Canyon.....should have ridden up Cherry instead.
Old 01-08-19, 08:51 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by trailangel
Ever tried to ride up that trail just north of Descanso Gardens right off Descanso Dr.? There is a sign that says to get off and walk. I made it up the first one or two switchbacks and then got off and pushed my bike. Each switchback had a railroad tie held in place with galvanized pipes and I knew I was gonna 'eat it' and fall on one of those pipes. Looked at my Strava later and a lot of it is 25%. I didn't come down that way... came down Cherry Canyon.....should have ridden up Cherry instead.
I can't imagine riding up that. I rode down a few times on my mtb but honestly for me it's just not worth it. And especially not in the drops on a gravel bike! And it's all washed out/rutted now too--it's even worse. Going up I can't get up very far without losing traction anyway. I do carry my bike up that section sometimes. But I usually go up Hampstead street and then you have a couple options for how to go up.
Old 01-08-19, 11:25 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Isn't the pnw one for 27.2 $149?
Old 01-08-19, 11:52 PM
pbass

I see the PNW Ranier is $149. Looks good. I was checking out the lever: https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...eter-drop-bars
Not sure how I'd like that in my drops like that, but probably not too big a deal. Would certainly solve the problem of my not having much bar real estate left up top!
EDIT: I can't do internal routing so the Ranier is out

Last edited by pbass; 01-08-19 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-08-19, 11:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I also can't do internal routing, and am further restricted by needing a post ~400mm long. So the 85-90mm PNW models that are on sale/discount everywhere... I can't use.
Old 01-16-19, 01:01 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
No doubt that a dropper would make life so much nicer on steep descents. The single track downhill stage of Grinduro was bad enough that I just stopped and use my multi-tool to drop my seat as low as it would go.
Old 01-16-19, 02:11 PM
gus6464

It took me about a year to get used to using the dropper on my mtb. I would always forget that I could drop the thing on descents. Now on my gravel bike if I take it off-road and come to a descent I will subconsciously try to drop my post even though I can't
Old 01-17-19, 06:31 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by jp911
No doubt that a dropper would make life so much nicer on steep descents. The single track downhill stage of Grinduro was bad enough that I just stopped and use my multi-tool to drop my seat as low as it would go.
I have recently done that too, just as an experiment, to see how my gravel rig feels with the seat lowered. As expected, it made one of my regular rather scary descents less scary.
I'm back-burnering this idea for now though, since I can't afford to do a good remote dropper, and the more I think about the ones I was considering with the lever under the seat, it just seems like it wouldn't be a complete enough solution. I think of dropping my saddle when things start getting steep and bumpy and to take a hand off the bars at that moment I'd have to slow way down or even stop, so I might as well just put a QR collar on for now and play around with that.
Old 01-17-19, 06:54 PM
gus6464

PNW makes a good dropper for $200 with remote and all.

I wish One-Up came out with a 27.2 version of their $200 dropper.
Old 01-17-19, 08:40 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by gus6464
PNW makes a good dropper for $200 with remote and all.

I wish One-Up came out with a 27.2 version of their $200 dropper.
Yeah, I could use the PNW Pine (external routing) for $215. The placement they show for their drop bar lever is interesting--not sure if I'd dig that being there. Certainly a good deal but I've blown my bike budget on other stuff for the next few months now! maybe in the spring...
Old 01-17-19, 09:50 PM
gus6464

Yeah, I could use the PNW Pine (external routing) for $215. The placement they show for their drop bar lever is interesting--not sure if I'd dig that being there. Certainly a good deal but I've blown my bike budget on other stuff for the next few months now! maybe in the spring...
The sram hack seems the way to go for dropper lever if you running 1x. No hacking away unlike Shimano which needs you to cut a piece with a Dremel.
Old 01-17-19, 11:44 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
If you really want to get slick run 1x and use your front shifter to work the dropper. A less slick option if you are running 2x is use a bar end shifter for the dropper.

https://bikerumor.com/2017/09/25/ib1...ew-tools-more/
Doesn't look like they ever sold it though unless I just can't find it.
Old 01-18-19, 01:48 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I had the KS eTen dropper, externally routed with remote. Cost around $119 from Jenson i think. I also found a Specialized remote lever in aluminum on ebay (instead of using the included remote from KS), and installed both on a hardtail i had a year ago. It worked great. Though it's tricky to find a good spot with the shifter on the left as well.

I sold off that first mtb a month or 2 later and bought a second, much better hardtail, 1x drive, came with a dropper. I got used to that so very quickly. makes it easy to get on and off, etc. I still have that KS eTen dropper in my box. I've considered putting it on my new gravel bike with 27.2 seat post dimensions, but i've held off.

I don't think PNW makes those droppers. When i was shopping for one, i emailed TransX. Their new one was not in stock, but they suggested i look to PNW's web site for one. All the specs at the time matched TransX's dropper for 27.2. I think it's just rebadged. i THINK.

a dropper with the lever at the seat seems odd. I wonder if it plays well with riding. i'd rather not have to move a hand quickly to the seat as i approach a sketchy section. having the remote near your hand is so much nicer. and efficient. and safer i'd say. but they work best with a 1x drive setup. you can make it work with a 2x, but it takes some finagling to find the right spot.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 01-18-19, 11:59 AM
pbass

Yeah, I think when I do it, I want it integrated with the left brake lever (I'm on a 1x). The placement of the PNW shifter they show looks a little awkward to me--certainly easy access, but I feel like it'd get in the way of my hand/fingers a bit. It doesn't look like a 100% solution. Kinda like when I had the Gevenalle shifter set up on my other bike(https://www.gevenalle.com/product/gx/). It worked and I got used to it, but still not anywhere near as easy as the SRAM brifter I have now.
Old 02-10-19, 04:42 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Update: I pulled the trigger on a PNW Pine, after being coerced by an eBay coupon (direct from PNW had sales tax, none on eBay for whatever reason) which brought the whole deal under $200. It is exceptionally well made and easy to install. I used an Origin8 cable stop and the existing boss for a front derailleur (as I don't have one) and it came out pretty clean. As was noted in one review I read, getting the cable routed to the lever, and then wrapping the bars is... tricky. I must have wrapped and re-wrapped that side of the bars seven or eight times.

With my absurd saddle height, the full drop position it looks like the regular seat height for most people. It's significantly more stable off road, and I've already taken to riding with it in the dropped position when standing. No more saddle hitting me in the thighs. Going down hills I feel like I'm 12 years old on a BMX bike. It's pretty great.

Old 02-10-19, 08:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Or, another potential function of top mount interrupter levers ..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.