Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Companion Wanted for 200 miles between San Francisco and Santa Barbara

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Companion Wanted for 200 miles between San Francisco and Santa Barbara

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 01:45 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I suspect that our definition of close restaurants is different. You are correct that there were lots of restaurants at Fishermans Wharf, but my recollection was that it was at least a 15 minute walk to the restaurants from the hostel. The Safeway grocery store was much closer.

Which reminds me that I had a good photo. Riding our bikes on Fishermans Wharf at 4:30am on the way to the shuttle bus stop, the shuttle to the Amtrak station. Thus no crowds at 4:30 am, and not much light either, the camera exposure was 1/10 of a second.

According to Google it is a 9 minute walk to the nearest restaurant down by the wharf. 6 minutes to the Safeway. There are a couple of restaurants right down by the pier that are 6 minutes away. And I noticed a number of guests ordered pizza delivered while I was there.

Arguello Market is about 4 miles away. I would prefer to take my bike but would walk that just to get one of their turkey sandwiches.
Old 02-15-19, 02:52 PM
panchothepug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I decided to proceed with Central California during the very last week of March since it has a lower probability of rain showers. Even one little bit of probability helps.

My new stops are land at Monterey Airport on day 0, spend the night in Monterey.
Day 1 - Monterey to Big Sur Lodge, doing the 17 miles loop around Carmel by the Sea.
Day 2 - Big Sur Lodge to Treebones resort (the one with the Yurts)
Day 3 - Treebones resort Cambria
Day 4 - Cambria to San Luis Obispo, that will be on Saturday March 30th, when I'll eiher spend the night in San Luis Obispo OR take the 7M flight to New York.

I'd like help finding a place where I could pay to take a shower in San Luis Obispo. I know about Warmshowers but have never used it and would rather just pay and get it over with. Any advice?
Old 02-15-19, 03:28 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Sounds like a good plan.

If you decide to skip 17mile drive you aren't missing much. Over hyped in my opinion. Your time would be better spent at the aquarium before you leave Well worth a visit,

I would just use warmshowers. If the reason you don't want to use it because you have never used it then you will never use it. Seriously most people are really nice , I have used a host's place for showers a couple of times.

Sometimes hotels have a day rate for there rooms. You might want to call a couple and ask. But really warmshowers will be the most easy option.
Old 02-15-19, 03:31 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Also there is an HI in SLO

https://www.hihostels.com/hostels/hi-san-luis-obispo

Bet you could work something out with them. Problem with hostels is sometimes no one is even there till 4PM or so. You will have to do your homework.
Old 02-15-19, 04:49 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
The climb up to Treebones is seriously difficult. It was hard to do in a car! Save some leg strength for it!
Old 02-15-19, 05:37 PM
panchothepug

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Treebones is asking $330 for one night. I’d rather sleep on a chair or on the floor before paying that much. I’m sure I’ll find an alternative.

Last edited by panchothepug; 02-15-19 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 05:42 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Lucia

Lucia Lodge .:. Big Sur, California

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 02-15-19 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 06:04 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by raybo
The climb up to Treebones is seriously difficult. It was hard to do in a car! Save some leg strength for it!
Ragged Point is another 13 miles down the road and the resort is right off of the road. It really is not all that bad of a ride from Big Sur to Ragged point. There is also a resort at Gorda that is right off of the rod, where I ate lunch. Looks like a nice place.

Whatever you do, make sure you stop at Ragged Point for the view. It will be pretty much the last spectacular view on the coast. Tough Morro Bay can be very pretty.
Old 02-15-19, 06:07 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by wgscott

Wait maybe this is where I had lunch. It is right off of the road.
Old 02-15-19, 06:14 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Wait maybe this is where I had lunch. It is right off of the road.
Yeah, there is a little shop connected to a restaurant, and everyone who rides this stops there.

Old 02-15-19, 07:05 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Just checked. It was Lucia/ They have a restaurant there too. An awesome view.

Last edited by spinnaker; 02-15-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 07:45 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Over hyped. I had no issues. Even on the so called deadly Devil's Slide. And now Devil's slide is a bike path!
Famous last words!

That scenery is not without its risks, I'd probably be my own worst enemy.

I was envious of all the riders I saw on hwy 1 years ago.
Old 02-15-19, 07:48 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by panchothepug
I'd like help finding a place where I could pay to take a shower in San Luis Obispo....
... Any advice?
You probably are not interested in this option but I will mention it anyway. I often carry a bottle cap, the size that threads onto a soda pop bottle or disposable water bottle that has a number of small diameter holes drilled into it for those times when I want to take a shower without using a lot of water.
Old 02-15-19, 10:20 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I rode solo from Santa Cruz to Redondo Beach in 6 days. It was awesome! Monterey through Big Sur was almost 100 miles. I did it in a day because I didn’t want to camp. Totally doable but a long day so I suggest you go after the change to daylight savings time.
Old 02-15-19, 10:24 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Old 02-16-19, 12:52 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Very tempting, the only thing that puts me off are the typical aggressive west coast drivers.

In China we have lots of predictably stupid drivers, however they are also less hostile compared to drivers in the states.

California and Texas were by far the worst places I have ever driven.
I regularly ride on PCH, I have ridden in San Francisco, Marin, SLO, Solvang, Buellton, Santa Barbara, Montecito, Ojai, San Diego, Carlsbad, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Bodega Bay, Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, La Jolla, etc. I have not, however, ridden in China or Texas

I do not think that California drivers are any more aggressive or hostile than drivers anywhere else.

Generalizations, like stereotypes, are not very smart.
Old 02-16-19, 04:55 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Yea, a couple years ago, Heavy, wet , winter Storms washed out bridges and caused landslides it took a year, + , to repair & clear ..

And its another winter like that one..

totally. keep holding my breath every time another storm front rolls into california and hoping the coast highway holds up from monterey south to cambria/hwy 46.
getting really hard to stay optimistic this winter tho. too many spots of bother and potential problems along that stretch to not expect a massive failure/collapse of some sort.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-16-19 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-16-19, 05:00 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.

If you decide to skip 17mile drive you aren't missing much. Over hyped in my opinion. Your time would be better spent at the aquarium before you leave Well worth a visit,

I would just use warmshowers. If the reason you don't want to use it because you have never used it then you will never use it. Seriously most people are really nice , I have used a host's place for showers a couple of times.

Sometimes hotels have a day rate for there rooms. You might want to call a couple and ask. But really warmshowers will be the most easy option.
i thought i was the only one...
Old 02-16-19, 05:25 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

I regularly ride on PCH, I have ridden in San Francisco, Marin, SLO, Solvang, Buellton, Santa Barbara, Montecito, Ojai, San Diego, Carlsbad, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Bodega Bay, Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, La Jolla, etc. I have not, however, ridden in China or Texas

I do not think that California drivers are any more aggressive or hostile than drivers anywhere else.

Generalizations, like stereotypes, are not very smart.
This is my "opinion" after driving in more than half of the continental US, and over half a million miles of commercial driving experience.

I don't say this without reason, especially after living in China for 12 years, and experiencing reverse culture shock every time I visit the states. (where is the fire?)

I'm sure you're much wiser and vastly more experienced then I am in judging driving behaviour.
Old 02-16-19, 08:58 AM
panchothepug

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please, let’s not make the post, or the forum, about bad drivers or where they are. Truth is they are everywhere.

I moved it to the very last week of the month. Bought my plane tickets and have done 2 hotel reservations so far.

One question I have is about my last day from Cambria to SLO and whether I should ride to the airport and take a late flight back to New York or spend the night in SLO, and then take a morning flight to NY. Which factors would you consider?

Old 02-16-19, 09:17 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Please, let’s not make the post, or the forum, about bad drivers or where they are. Truth is they are everywhere.

I moved it to the very last week of the month. Bought my plane tickets and have done 2 hotel reservations so far.

One question I have is about my last day from Cambria to SLO and whether I should ride to the airport and take a late flight back to New York or spend the night in SLO, and then take a morning flight to NY. Which factors would you consider?

If I have train or reservations, I don't like risking arriving in my departure city the same day as my reservations except for two conditions. I know I have AMBLE time.Or I have a public transit option for the last day. If you could afford the extra day in SLO I would do it. It solves your shower problem too.

Are you still staying at Treebones?
Old 02-16-19, 12:52 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

If I have train or reservations, I don't like risking arriving in my departure city the same day as my reservations ...
Fully agree. I can think of many minor mishaps that cost me a few extra hours on almost every trip shortly before my scheduled departure. If I have plenty of time, those mishaps are all soon forgotten.

But the rainstorm that caused the traffic accident that caused the traffic jam that my taxi got stuck in that delayed my arrival at the airport is not forgotten that soon.

But if you roll the dice and cut your schedule really tightly, this website might come in handy.
https://www.sleepinginairports.net/g...port-guide.htm
Old 02-16-19, 01:00 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
i thought i was the only one...

You and I aren't the only ones. Check Trip Advisor. The drive gets lots of complaints. I would be really pissed if I had to pay like drivers do.

I see lots of beautiful photos of the area but sure don't remember that. What sticks in my minds was all of the houses. I guess that is mainly what you see with the exception of a short section of scenery.
Old 02-16-19, 01:10 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I decided to proceed with Central California during the very last week of March since it has a lower probability of rain showers. Even one little bit of probability helps.

My new stops are land at Monterey Airport on day 0, spend the night in Monterey.
Day 1 - Monterey to Big Sur Lodge, doing the 17 miles loop around Carmel by the Sea.
Day 2 - Big Sur Lodge to Treebones resort (the one with the Yurts)
Day 3 - Treebones resort Cambria
Day 4 - Cambria to San Luis Obispo, that will be on Saturday March 30th, when I'll eiher spend the night in San Luis Obispo OR take the 7M flight to New York.

I'd like help finding a place where I could pay to take a shower in San Luis Obispo. I know about Warmshowers but have never used it and would rather just pay and get it over with. Any advice?
Have you checked to see if you can fly out of the SLO airport with a bicycle as luggage? That's a really small airport with small 'regional' jets or turbo-props, and I don't think they can fit a bicycle on those types of planes. You might have to take the early morning Amtrak from SLO to the L.A. area, then get a ride over to LAX or Burbank Airport to catch a late-afternoon/evening flight back to NYC.
Old 02-16-19, 01:22 PM
Tourist in MSN

Or if you can't take the bike on the plane, have a bike shop put it in a box and send it by BikeFlights.com.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.