Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Meiser Accu-Gage Presta connector

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 01:35 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts

I have an Accu-Gage presta gauge , and I can never get it to work right on a presta valve. It sputters and leaks, and does not hold the pressure reading as its is supposed to do. Is this common? Or is mine a lemon? I tried reversing the rubber part in the valve, didn't help.
Old 04-27-19, 09:59 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I have an Accu-gage also. It took me a few times to figure out how to hold it to press it onto the stem in a way that would work properly. I use my index and middle fingers on the top of the gauge shaft and my thumb and other two fingers low on the shaft to keep it inline with the stem. You have to make sure it is going onto the shaft straight and firmly. It works fine for me now. The dial gauge reading is consistently about 4 lbs too high.
Old 05-04-19, 02:44 AM
miyataluvr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I have an Accu-Gage presta gauge , and I can never get it to work right on a presta valve. It sputters and leaks, and does not hold the pressure reading as its is supposed to do. Is this common? Or is mine a lemon? I tried reversing the rubber part in the valve, didn't help.
Do you have the pressure release model which is supposed to hold a reading after removing the gauge from the valve until you push the button?

I have found I need to replace my gauge periodically after it wears and starts to leak.
Old 05-04-19, 10:02 AM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by miyataluvr
Do you have the pressure release model which is supposed to hold a reading after removing the gauge from the valve until you push the button?
Yes, that's the style I have. I reversed the rubber piece in the connector to see if that would help, but it didn't.

The reason I asked about this is that I wanted to get another gauge with a different psi scale, but if it was going to be the same fiddly connector as the one I have, I'd pass on it. I have an Accu-gage with Schrader and a 0-60 scale for the car, and it is excellent.

Since my original post, I changed the pressure gauge on my old Silca, replacing its 0-220psi scale with a 0-100. I may skip buying a separate gauge and just use the one on the pump.
Old 05-04-19, 10:14 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
IME, you have to push the gauge on hard as far as it will go.
Old 05-04-19, 12:42 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by woodcraft
IME, you have to push the gauge on hard as far as it will go.
Maybe my unit is a dud, but I never got a seal, and let lots of air out at the same time.
Old 05-04-19, 06:30 PM
miyataluvr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that's the style I have. I reversed the rubber piece in the connector to see if that would help, but it didn't.

The reason I asked about this is that I wanted to get another gauge with a different psi scale, but if it was going to be the same fiddly connector as the one I have, I'd pass on it. I have an Accu-gage with Schrader and a 0-60 scale for the car, and it is excellent.

Since my original post, I changed the pressure gauge on my old Silca, replacing its 0-220psi scale with a 0-100. I may skip buying a separate gauge and just use the one on the pump.
My gauges have lasted around 4-5 years. I can remember two exchanges made at Performance after they started leaking.
Old 05-04-19, 06:41 PM
miyataluvr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe my unit is a dud, but I never got a seal, and let lots of air out at the same time.
If I don't hold the gauge as close to 90° to the tire as possible I'll hear a small hiss. Sometimes it's more practical for me to rotate the wheel so the stem is at 12'oclock, take a reading, and then be ready to connect the chuck and add some air.
Old 05-05-19, 12:28 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
snipped . . .

I find I get different readings when using my floor pump pressure gauge (Lezyne CNC Floor Drive) and my Schwalbe Airmax Pro Pressure Gauge and I don't know which one is correct. They are off by about 10 pounds which isn't chump change. I need a third measure to see which one is closer.

It would be interesting to see if your new gauge is accurate.
Old 05-05-19, 08:50 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Are you folks aware that the Meiser has a lifetime warranty. Send it in with a few bucks for shipping and they'll overhaul it for you.

https://www.ghmeiser.com/warranty-info.htm

That said, mine continues to not hold a reading. No leak while measuring or other problems but I have to read it while holding it on the stem.
Old 05-06-19, 06:45 AM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by Ronsonic
Are you folks aware that the Meiser has a lifetime warranty. Send it in with a few bucks for shipping and they'll overhaul it for you.

https://www.ghmeiser.com/warranty-info.htm

That said, mine continues to not hold a reading. No leak while measuring or other problems but I have to read it while holding it on the stem.
I have read this too. They charge $4 to revamp the gauge.

Originally Posted by blakcloud
I find I get different readings when using my floor pump pressure gauge (Lezyne CNC Floor Drive) and my Schwalbe Airmax Pro Pressure Gauge and I don't know which one is correct. They are off by about 10 pounds which isn't chump change. I need a third measure to see which one is closer.

It's hard to tell without having another known-accurate gauge to compare it to. I'll be satisfied if the new gauge is consistent.
Old 05-06-19, 08:39 AM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by blakcloud
Well, I inflated a tire to 45psi, using the Winters gauge on the pump with a 0-100psi scale. Then I checked the pressure with the Meiser, being careful as Delbiker1 suggested in a previous post, and read ~43psi. The dial on the Meiser is smaller and the scale wider than the Winters (0-160psi), so there may be some reading error, but that's close enough for me.
Old 05-06-19, 06:03 PM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Just got mine... seems to work fine and holds the pressure. Hopefully it will last... Vitoria lite tubes.