Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New to riding, just checking it out.

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 05-14-19, 02:54 PM
Laran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for adding me!
My Name is actually La Ran. It sounds just like it's spelt.
I'm 62 yo., I started riding a bike, occasionally in 2014, seriously in Feb. of 2019, when I purchased an Orbea MX 50 29" mountain bike, and decked it out for commuting.
Bags, rear deck, lights, Hi Vis colors, yup, I'm the old guy huffing and puffing, about 1/2 mph up hills.
Just trying to get healthy, not looking to compete.
It's nice to be able to turn someplace for some info occasionally.
I just had an old Nishiki moutain bike given to me. It's a 26" 18 speed. After I cleaned, lubed, and worked the levers, and chain, it rides, and shifts, almost as nicely as my new Orbea. I don't think anyone has ridden it much, but it's been out side for at least 3 years that I know of
It will need new cables and maybe grips, possibly more when I get into it. It's a woman's bike but it don't matter to me, I'll just use it for quick trips to town, maybe try out the town bike park. Maybe some of the trails in Bellingham WA. near where I live.
Have a great day folks, thanks again for the add.

La Ran
Old 05-14-19, 04:39 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums La Ran!
Old 05-14-19, 04:55 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
You live here? Wow, awesome city. I've passed through there a couple times, but saw only what I could see from I-5, unfortunately.

Old 05-14-19, 05:40 PM
Laran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Welcome to Bike Forums La Ran!
Thank you Bill.
Old 05-15-19, 10:00 AM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Welcome La Ran. Happy you can still ride a mountain bike. I'm 51 now, but in 1991 a car hit me, high speed on a motorcycle... in my late twenties, rode an 18 speed mountain bike for a while; actually, I only used 6 gears - largest chain ring and 6 cog cassette (most gears ratios are duplicated anyway, but more gears sounds better for market). Had another motorcycle accident in 1999, and didn't ride again until 2016. Originally with a 24" 7 speed adult tricycle. Couldn't safely ride a 29er 21 speed mountain bike on the street, but in a parking lot discovered it has much more speed with less effort peddling opposed to the adult tricycle. Tried stabilizer wheels on the 29er, didn't fit good, but rode it anyway. One day a jump between stabilizer wheels caused another crash, but this time broke my hip. Couldn't walk and had total hip replacement surgery. Started riding adult tricycles again, 4,569 miles in 2018 broke in my new hip.

Indeed, that is remarkable to still ride a mountain bike. my brain injury has progressed and prevents me.
Old 05-15-19, 12:25 PM
Laran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Beach cycle!
I'm sorry you had such a traumatic life, though not as traumatic, it sound's like you've come a long ways!
I find it remarkable, that you have over come the obstacles set before you on your journey.

I've fought my own battles. I can't walk far, or long, without paying the price later. I too struggle with my balance sometimes.
I could have went home and waited to die, but I still have some things I want to do.
I got a mountain bike because the things I like to do sometimes require me to go off road.
If it comes down to riding a tricycle, that's what I'll do. Keep on riding, long as they let me. The wife works, so I can't depend on her to get me places.

Safe travels friend!