Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

why pay BIG $ for a jersey?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

why pay BIG $ for a jersey?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 03:45 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Because panache.
Old 05-28-19, 03:51 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Experiment with what works for you. I just purchased a $20 long sleeve hi-vis jersey off Amazon. For $20 the fit, zipper, pockets and sleeve length all work for me.

I'm a twice a week rec rider, I could care less about high end names. Frankly, I purchased higher end LG jerseys a few years ago that have not held up and I will not buy that brand again.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-28-19, 04:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
I'm not saying there aren't cheap, crappy, ill-fitting jerseys to be found, nor am I even suggesting the majority are not of poor quality, fit, and construction, but I've bought enough of these to have found some that really are on par with $100+ jerseys.

The bottom line is there really is no reason to pay for an expensive jersey, unless you really want to pay for the name, and (potentially) a slightly better fit. The fabric and construction on some of the cheap cheap jerseys is quite good. Bibs on the other hand, that is a completely different story (from what I've found)...
I bought a cheap kit on Amazon for the bibs. The jersey and bibs both had hang tags saying Coolmax. It might even be true.

Good god that kit smells awful after riding in it! I drove an hour and a half to ride yesterday, I leaned the hard way not to do that with cheap kit.

I've also bought inexpensive things (not bike clothes) that have worked really well.

How many $10 jerseys do you have to buy to find one that's on par with a $100 one?
Old 05-28-19, 04:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I was just thinking of this thread while I was riding back from my lunch workout. I was wearing a Castelli jersey from 4 seasons ago. It must get worn once a week during warm weather and it still looks new. Colors are bright, hems and seams tight, elastic snug, zipper still works perfectly. Totally worth it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-28-19, 04:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
For $20 I'm willing to try one from Ebay. Links to something good? Full zip, solid colors or tasteful geometrics ( think Rapha.) No cheesy cartoon characters or funny sayings, accurate size chart. Thanks!
Old 05-28-19, 04:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
In totalus totum, expensive jerseys are better fit and better looking than cheap jerseys. Though the best return IMO, is the expensive jerseys from this season, bought next season, when they're discounted by 50% or whatnot.
For example, here's a place to start:

https://www.steepandcheap.com/mens-l...0+TO+*%5D&nf=1
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-28-19, 06:10 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Just because a jersey is inexpensive doesn't mean it's cheap. It's called shopping smart. I got a $120 Sugoi Climber's jersey for $17, and a trio of $40 Canari Optic Nova (which aren't exactly Rapha quality, but are an absolutely fine jersey) for $6-7 each. Also, the econo $40 jerseys from The Black Bibs-- very nice. Well made, excellent fit.

I have a selection of $100+ jerseys, I just never paid full price for them.
Old 05-28-19, 06:30 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
FWIW, I have four Louis Garneau low end jerseys that I bought online from somewhere for $25 to $35 each, depending on the deal I found. I find them very comfortable, they fit me (obviously a personal thing - have no idea how someone can say that a given Jersey fits great without a reference as to the body type), the pockets work better than any other pockets that I have ever had, and they are all plain (I don't like to look like a bill board).

OTOH, EVERY one of them has a broken zipper (half zippers in the front). So I probably won't buy any more of them, but I will wear these in the summer when the zipper will be down anyway.

I find the question asked in this thread to be very reasonable. I would reword it to say "what is it that you get that you like when you spend a bunch on a jersey that you don't get when you don't spend a bunch on a jersey".

dave
Old 05-28-19, 06:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I find the question asked in this thread to be very reasonable. I would reword it to say "what is it that you get that you like when you spend a bunch on a jersey that you don't get when you don't spend a bunch on a jersey".

dave
hopefully, the answer isn't "a $100 better zipper"
Old 05-28-19, 06:40 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I have a selection of $100+ jerseys, I just never paid full price for them.
+1 I don't know who pays full price for cycling kit, but I've literally never done it.
Old 05-28-19, 06:42 PM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Cuz I can.
Likes For Makel:
Old 05-28-19, 06:57 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have a drawer full of jerseys and athletic wicking shirts, and several long-sleeved hanging in the closet. I might have splurged on one, but the rest were either on clearance or sale or chinese shot in the dark. Since I ride every day, and I'm likely to use them all before washing, I just grab one at random. No care for style, I don't care what the "fit" is, and haven't yet thrown any away, I personally see no reason whatsoever to spend appreciably more for a jersey. If I only rode a couple of times a week in some group ride, I might be more conscious of style and brand and conforming with the group, but that's not the case.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 05-28-19, 08:30 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I have a drawer full of jerseys and athletic wicking shirts, and several long-sleeved hanging in the closet. I might have splurged on one, but the rest were either on clearance or sale or chinese shot in the dark. Since I ride every day, and I'm likely to use them all before washing, I just grab one at random. No care for style, I don't care what the "fit" is, and haven't yet thrown any away, I personally see no reason whatsoever to spend appreciably more for a jersey. If I only rode a couple of times a week in some group ride, I might be more conscious of style and brand and conforming with the group, but that's not the case.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

I have both and never had trouble with either, same with bibs - I have many sets of cycling clothes in the rotation so none get used repeatedly. The only jerseys or bibs/shorts I've seen show significant signs of wear are those that experienced a crash or some fat sucker that wears his/her kit so tight their kit looks more like a sausage casing. I am not a fast rider so a jersey that fits a little loose won't effect my performance in TTs. Buy what makes you happy and wear it proudly.
Old 05-28-19, 11:31 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I don't pay big bucks, but can no longer tolerate a jersey that flaps,

so a random or club-fit loose jersey is no bargain at any price.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-29-19, 03:13 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I buy Assos kit on sale because it fits me. And, yes, I am superior.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-29-19, 04:02 AM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I find one of the biggest things that makes a cheap Jersey off Amazon verse a better one that cost . A hundred dollars or more is the zipper and back pockets on the cheap ones the stitching on the back pockets seam to rip and hold your stuff less tight and try unlippipping your cheap Jersey going 20 mph on a hot day . With the better quality ones zipper seams to work much better. But as far as material goes both all about the same many cheap jerseys use the same material
Likes For ridingfool:
Old 05-29-19, 04:05 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Proper decorum clearly states that one must be wearing a BIG $ Jersey to attempt the bidon flip. I'm guessing it's the same for the back bottle balance as well. If you are trying to get noticed, a Cheap @ss jersey won't do.

Last edited by seypat; 05-29-19 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 04:52 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
At this point in the discussion, I think the parameters need to be defined. The OP listed top end as BIG $. The low end can be referred to as Cheap @ss. What about the brands in between? Also, is it necessary to list all of the BIG$ brands in all caps? It worked for MEILENSTEIN.
Old 05-29-19, 06:17 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by atjurhs
hi guys,

i gotta wonder why pay BIG $ for a jersey? there are plenty of nice looking jerseys on eBay for $20, and then there are those that cost $140
guess it depends on what you consider big money? I have free jerseys and jerseys i have bought online so far each has their purpose and the get worn.
Old 05-29-19, 06:19 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I don't pay big bucks, but can no longer tolerate a jersey that flaps,

so a random or club-fit loose jersey is no bargain at any price.
i agree a nice fitting jersey with good stitching and decent zipper are worth more money... imho
Old 05-29-19, 08:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Chapter III is where it's at now.

Fabric is second to none and they use actual chest sizes in one inch increments - 38, 39, 40 and so forth. Fit is perfect - not loose but not painted on either.

Unlike some brands (Assos, a-hem) with frighteningly delicate zippers, those on Chapter III jerseys are substantial. They don't feel like they are going to break every time they are touched.

Lots of small details and classy styling, not gaudy or cartoonish like some of the latest style du jour. I could name names

Patient shoppers can find them at very deep discount. I got a Forbici 1.25 for $89 last September. I want a 1.28 Milan San Remo.

The Chapter III website has some stuff on sale right now including the OneMoreLap 1.22 for about $89 and the MonzaMilano for $70, depending on exchange rate.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-29-19 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 08:54 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Chapter III is where it's at now.

Fabric is second to none and they use actual chest sizes in one inch increments - 38, 39, 40 and so forth. Fit is perfect - not loose but not painted on either.

Unlike some brands (Assos, a-hem) with frighteningly delicate zippers, those on Chapter III jerseys are substantial. They don't feel like they are going to break every time they are touched.

Lots of small details and classy styling, not gaudy or cartoonish like some of the latest style du jour. I could name names

Sigma Sports has good prices and patient shoppers can find them at very deep discount. I got a Forbici 1.25 for $89 last September. I want a 1.28 Milan San Remo.

The Chapter III website has some stuff on sale right now including the OneMoreLap 1.22 for about $89 and the MonzaMilano for $70, depending on exchange rate.

-Tim-
Those look great but you are paying a lot for that great fit. A lot.
Old 05-29-19, 09:02 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
I ride in cheapo high viz breathable long sleeve compression shirts bought a size too big so they fit a hair more loosely.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a compression shirt?
Old 05-29-19, 09:05 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a compression shirt?
Sure, but buying it a size larger doesn't defeat the actual desired goal of a cheap reasonably fitting breathable shirt to ride in.

Last edited by UniChris; 05-29-19 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 09:33 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,753 Times in 2,766 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
At this point in the discussion, I think the parameters need to be defined. The OP listed top end as BIG $. The low end can be referred to as Cheap @ss. What about the brands in between? Also, is it necessary to list all of the BIG$ brands in all caps? It worked for MEILENSTEIN.
Good point. Rules are important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.