Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Sweat GUTR vs. Halo Headband

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Sweat GUTR vs. Halo Headband

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 07:43 AM
zencalm

Bikes: 2011 Globe Daily 2 men's small

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triode
Haven't tried the Gutr, but have the Halo.

for cycling, the skullcap wins hands down, IMO - assuming you wear a helmet.

https://www.headsweats.com/products/Skullcap.html

works a lot better than you might think. Evaporation helps keep you cool. Works great under a helmet.

It is even better if you wet it with a little water after a break if it has dried out a bit.
I have a classic headsweats and I love it. I sweat soooooo much and the headsweats makes it so the top of my head stays dry. Can't complain there. It really does get ride of so much sweat. I feel the difference when I'm not wearing it. (does look silly, but once you put the helmet on, it's perhaps 50% less silly lol)
Old 06-15-13, 07:57 PM
Booger McSmoot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me first establish my sweat bona fides. 1. I flirt back and forth with Clydesdale status; currently just below at 90kg. 2. I burn 1 quart of water an hour on an 80 degree day 3. People riding behind me on a rapid descent think it is raining. It is not.
I have both the Halo extra-wide tie it in the back headband and the sweat gutr. The Halo holds heat and needs to be wrung out every 45 minutes at least. Sweat gets in my eyes. It simply cannot move the sweat from my forehead fast enough. The sweat gutr is BRILLIANT. The ends of the gutr touch my helmet straps providing a channel. I do not notice sweat running down my face. 4 hours of riding today and only a few beads of sweat in my eyes. I'll use the sweat gutr for riding and save the halo for nordic skiing.
Old 06-16-13, 05:44 AM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A different opinion: neither!

Instead I rub olive oil on my forehead and eyelids. The sweat rolls off and no stinging eyes.
As a bonus my skin is very soft.

Charlie
Old 06-16-13, 05:54 AM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was climbing a big hill on a hot day and got some very salty sweat in my eyes and couldn't see. I ordered the GUTR and haven't had that problem since. I wear it with my helmet and sunglasses and it works great.
Old 06-16-13, 08:40 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Never heard of the Gutr. I used to use Headsweats headbands and always carried one or two spares while riding because the got so soaked with sweat. One season, while cross-country skiing, I purchased a Halo headband. Absolutely hated the thing. Didn't really do what it is supposed to do. The past year, I've been riding with a Headsweats Coolmax Classic. The tails are silly. I'll look into the Coolmax Shorty. In addition to the advantages already mentioned, it keeps the top of my head from getting sunburnt, (I do wear a helmet).
Old 06-17-13, 01:35 PM
slikor
Noob/Clyde

Bikes: 2012 Marin Palisades Trail 29er | 2013 Fezzari Catania

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Halo elastic headband, and I'm happy with it. It fits my large head, keeps sweat out of my eyes and off my sunglasses pretty well, and once I'm riding I don't notice it. I wash it after every hot ride and it's starting to look worn on the edges, but still works. I hope it lasts...
Old 06-17-13, 04:02 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slikor
I have the Halo elastic headband, and I'm happy with it. It fits my large head, keeps sweat out of my eyes and off my sunglasses pretty well, and once I'm riding I don't notice it. I wash it after every hot ride and it's starting to look worn on the edges, but still works. I hope it lasts...
I also use the Halo elastic band and have had no problems. It does the job. I don't find it gets all wet and has to be wrung out. It keeps sweat out of my eyes and isn't hot/warm to wear. I haven't tried the other products because I am satisfied with the Halo. Interesting the experiences people have with the same product... I wash it after every ride using soap and water and hung dry. It stays in pretty good shape. I do have several so I rotate them around.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-18-13, 01:57 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been using the Halo (elastic) for at least a year now. No complaints so far, although almost all my rides are about an hour, with the occasional two hour ride, in quite temperate weather. Despite sweating a lot otherwise, I have yet to saturate the Halo to the point sweat is running into my eyes, it has totally solved that problem for me. It's damp/wet after virtually every ride, but I don't recall it being overpowered. Perhaps that will change this summer. I wash mine pretty irregularly, maybe every 6 weeks or something and haven't had any problems.

A couple of times I thought I lost my Halo and was quite concerned as it is hard to imagine going back to a cloth bandana, especially since my new helmet is a little too tight for that. I was planning on purchasing a second Halo, but based on all the great reviews here I think I might give the Gutr a try. When I originally chose the Halo, I was leery of how small it appeared given how much sweat I put out.
Old 06-18-13, 06:43 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mid-way through last season I bought one of each, for evaluation. I started with the Halo and it's done so well for me that I haven't wanted to try the Gutr at all yet.
Old 06-18-13, 10:21 AM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the gutr and a sweat vac cap. THe gutr is a bit of a pain to use as I have to adjust my helmet just so and my glasses just so.

Its not terrible by any means. I use the sweat vac cap more often than not however
Old 06-18-13, 10:39 AM
Drevil
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Bikes: singlespeed(s)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had both for years, and my experience and preference for the GUTR is the same as yours.
Old 06-18-13, 03:27 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Used the Halo years ago, and then figured out that the problem wasn't the sweat; it was that I wasn't drinking enough water on my rides and the concentration of salt in the sweat was accordingly high. Upped my water intake, haven't had to use a Halo or the equivalent since.
Old 06-22-13, 08:07 PM
love2pedal.com

Bikes: Colnago C50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use both and like both but if I were forced to choose one, it would be the Sweat Gutr.

In hot, humid oppressive summer weather, the Gutr is better since it doesn't saturate completely like the Halo.

On shorter rides or in less oppressive heat, I like the Halo just as much. It fits a little easier under a helmet

I would give the Sweat Gutr an A+ and the Halo an A-

Dan
Old 05-14-19, 04:16 PM
Joshua020

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,
Which is good Sweat GUTR or HALO ?
What headband would you advise me to buy here: https://www.suddora.com/collections/headbands
Thanks !

Last edited by Joshua020; 06-09-19 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-19-19, 08:49 PM
Booger McSmoot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you sweat like a fat man stacking brick in a sauna, the Gutr is the only way to go. Halo just doesn't have the wicking capacity.
Old 05-20-19, 12:15 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
GUTR is finicky to put on. It works great when it's on just right, and channels heavy sweat (and even light rain) right outside your eyes and glasses. If it's rolled a little bit, it doesn't work anywhere near as well. BTW, it'll roll if you take a helmet off and put it back on.

Halo is wonderful for cool riding. In hot, humid weather, it's easy to overload the headband, and then sweat comes rolling over that little rubber dam like a creek over a low water road. After a while the rubber cracks, and sweat comes right through and onto your glasses.
Old 06-05-19, 10:56 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
After seeing this thread I ordered the Halo headband and rode with it for the first time today. It was a hot one and I'm a sweater. My only comparisons are to the old school elastic cotton headbands and a cycling specific sweat wicking skull cap. While the skull cap is good at providing the cooling effect, the Halo wins hands down. It was comfortable and except for sweat forming in my eyebrows, it kept the torrent at bay. The skull cap and headbands just don't do a good job about keeping the sweat out of my eyes.
Old 06-06-19, 04:46 PM
Joshua020

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks !