Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

10 mile limit?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

10 mile limit?

Old 04-25-19, 03:56 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Drop bars have been the Thing To Have in North America for quite some time, but it's easy to overlook the fact that many people around the world ride VERY long distances (like, actual bike touring) on flat bars or butterfly bars or others that give the bike a rather upright riding position. More on that here.

I've done 30 miles on my Giant Roam (with a suspension fork <gasp!>), but I'm personally usually limited by time rather than by distance. I average about 12 mph when I ride, and I just don't have 4-5 hour blocks of time to devote to uninterrupted riding. Accordingly, most of my rides are in the 10-12 mile range, keeping it to the hour I might have available after supper or at lunch, etc. I did 12 miles touring cherry blossoms in DC last weekend -- on my mountain bike. My folks were in town and I let my dad ride my Roam and I took my mountain bike. It's got tires for hardpack, so it wasn't too bad. We rode another 10 miles or so around home the following day.

The bottom line: ride what you like! I don't like drop bars, and I ride what is comfortable to me. If you like drop bars, then go for it! We're all on the "same team"...being positive ambassadors for the cycling community...no matter our choice in handlebar or bicycle type!
Yeah, it's a pity I'm sooooo uncomfortable on my multi-week tours on my upright bike... the 10 mile limit must explain why it takes multiple weeks to get anywhere eh! Of course if you just buy a bike with straight bars and one hand position things are gonna hurt eventually, but butterflies, crazy bars and loop bars offer just as many hand (back) positions as drop bars. It's being able to change the angle of your back that is the benefit of multiple hand positions, different back angle = different muscle use = being able to hold more weight off your hands. Then again, with my Loop bars I pretty well spend all day in one position because it's about perfect for my body.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 05-27-19, 05:09 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I rode the Withlacoochee State trail yesterday from the Owensboro trail head/ Dade city to Floral City and back for a total of 49.32 miles on my Trek Police bike.
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 05-30-19, 02:51 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
I rode the Withlacoochee State trail yesterday from the Owensboro trail head/ Dade city to Floral City and back for a total of 49.32 miles on my Trek Police bike.
Your a better man/woman then me..... With yesterday's heat my wife and I only road 30 miles from the north end to Inverness. Not seeing many folks out now as the snow birds are gone.
Old 05-30-19, 07:19 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I often do 30-40 mile rides on my 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1, and it gets most of my saddle time. I'm a 52 year old Clydesdale, and also enjoy riding a 1974 French-made Motobecane Grand Touring that I restored and rebuilt. The Motobecane's geometry isn't as severe as many modern road bikes, but the reach is ever so slightly too long for me. Until I can replace the stem, I'm riding the Fuji most of the time. I'm not worried about keeping a 20mph pace keeping up with anyone, and most of my rides are solo or with a friend riding at conversation speeds. My primary goal is fitness and to help manage my Type 2 diabetes, and it's great for that. My current goal is 50-60 miles in a rolling 7 day period, and so far that's not an issue. I'll normally do a couple of 8-10 mile weeknight rides and longer rides on the weekend. Don't let others tell you what you can't do on your own equipment.

Cheers.
Likes For camjr:
Old 06-12-19, 02:14 PM
Franc Franclin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HeatherIL
I've heard of people riding Ragbrai on a hybrid. If people can ride 468 miles over 7 days on a hybrid you can ride 10 miles a day.
I was doing RAGBRAI on my hybrid in 2017. The only thing that prevented me from finishing was the partially torn ACL I injured a week before the start. I got through a couple days, including one 80+ mile day, before the pain was too much.

10 miles limit. Pooey...
Likes For Franc Franclin: