Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Waterproof commuter backpack?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Waterproof commuter backpack?

Old 05-13-19, 02:29 PM
The 585

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
You can pick up a Chrome Industries Barrage Cargo backpack on sale for $128.00. It’s worth every penny. Bombproof construction, and your stuff will never ever get wet. Best commuter backpack ever made.
Originally Posted by Riv-Lantis
Second the Chrome bags. I've commuted with a Prawn roll-top bag for 8 years or so and never had a drop of water get inside any of the pockets through the worst GA thunderstorms. Even the two outside pockets have kept cell phones and wallets dry in torrential rain.
Thank you both. I just ordered the Chrome Barrage Cargo bag and I'm pumped to try it out. It's just what I was looking for and they were offering a 15% off promo code. Hoping this can survive many years of commuting and hiking.
Old 05-13-19, 02:47 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by The 585
Thank you both. I just ordered the Chrome Barrage Cargo bag and I'm pumped to try it out. It's just what I was looking for and they were offering a 15% off promo code. Hoping this can survive many years of commuting and hiking.
I got 5 years of use out of my first Barrage Cargo. The only reason I stopped using it was because I bought a new version Barrage Cargo with some design improvements. It’s a solid pack.
Old 05-14-19, 01:29 PM
Skaughtto
Commuter

Bikes: Domane 2.0, CrossRip LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
JanSport makes an inexpensive mesh backpack, which I use daily for commuting. When it rains, I pack everything into a drybag that I toss inside of it.

https://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jan...kpack-js0a2sdg

It's also great for the beach... doesn't collect any sand.
Old 05-14-19, 03:38 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I really appreciate the quality of the Osprey line of rucksucks. I'm just struck by how garish they tend to be. Great if I'm in the Alps and need to get found by air after an avalanche but not so good for a daily commute. Also, the colour-retention of the brightly coloured packs seems to fade after a few years.
Commuting in the US, that garish high visibility is a major plus, not a minus. Drivers here are so distracted (mostly self-induced), my wife and I have taken to wearing construction-type high-vis vests even when walking. We've found high-vis definitely effective in both situations.

We've also noticed how much anything high-vis fades. For my pannier/backpack, I found a high-vis rain cover online. Handy that I can remove it, so the bag looks "normal" for carrying a laptop, etc. to meetings. About a year old, just starting to fade.

The vests fade at aprx. 3-4 years; we also keep them under the seats of each truck, so we rotate those in to daily use and replace them when the old ones fade.
Old 05-14-19, 05:13 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I have a Mountain Hardwear Scrambler backpack that I use on rainy days. It's a bit large, but works well and is quite waterproof.
Old 05-15-19, 12:47 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Commuting in the US, that garish high visibility is a major plus, not a minus. Drivers here are so distracted (mostly self-induced), my wife and I have taken to wearing construction-type high-vis vests even when walking. We've found high-vis definitely effective in both situations.

We've also noticed how much anything high-vis fades. For my pannier/backpack, I found a high-vis rain cover online. Handy that I can remove it, so the bag looks "normal" for carrying a laptop, etc. to meetings. About a year old, just starting to fade.

The vests fade at aprx. 3-4 years; we also keep them under the seats of each truck, so we rotate those in to daily use and replace them when the old ones fade.
I haven't see any fade over here.

We don't get much sun

Respro HUMP seems to be most common that I see.

https://respro.com/hi-viz/hump

Where I am speeds are low (usually under 20, if that, as it's all beachside bumper-to-bumper), I'd just more casual collisions and the HiViz just gets drowned out by the headlights and streetlamps.
Old 05-15-19, 09:14 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I really appreciate the quality of the Osprey line of rucksucks. I'm just struck by how garish they tend to be. Great if I'm in the Alps and need to get found by air after an avalanche but not so good for a daily commute. Also, the colour-retention of the brightly coloured packs seems to fade after a few years. Thus, I went with an all-black Arc'terx which still looks good 9 years later.

What are you studying that requires scrubs? I spent some time teaching medical professionals at university.
You can buy them in black you know. I have the red one myself.

Last edited by GeneO; 05-15-19 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 04:35 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
I'm a big user of Osprey packs as well (I have around 10) and haven't seen any fade either. I do stick to black/dark grey though.
Old 05-18-19, 05:26 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Bikes: A fast one, a fun one, a utilitarian one.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What are you studying that requires scrubs? I spent some time teaching medical professionals at university.
I'm currently an in-hospital medic - pretty sweet job, very unique with a broad scope of practice. I just signed a contract, however, for an accelerated BSN program at a local university. I was on track to get into another clinical profession a few years ago but came to the realization that I fit much better into the nursing side of clinical medicine.
Old 05-21-19, 11:33 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts
Get a cheap rucksack.

Get a cheap waterproof hi-viz rucksack cover.

Use an inner bag if it’s pouring down.

Job done!
Old 06-05-19, 08:47 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I've been using Osprey backpacks for the last 8 or 9 years. Best commuter backpack I've used and way more durable than I expected. I made a long term review video about a year ago of what features I like about them and how they've held up and such.

Old 06-07-19, 07:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
Maybe an Osprey is in my future. My Timbuk2 has a rip after two years of use.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-09-19, 02:05 PM
m.t

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't go wrong with Chrome
Old 06-09-19, 05:00 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Can't go wrong with them IMO. Very durable and functional. Love their "kick-stand" feature.
Old 06-11-19, 11:36 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Try a tennis backpack. They are reasonably priced, hold a ton of stuff, and usually have a lot of useful sub compartments. They won't be completely waterproof in a downpour, but as others have stated you should be using secondary bags for valuables anyway.

Also, whenever it's raining if you ride fast enough, the rain will never even hit your backpack. Yes, I'm kidding, but it's good motivation.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 06-13-19, 01:09 AM
JayNed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I have had a Timbuk2 Messenger Bag and a backpack for some years now, no problems so far...durable, not too bulky and waterproof.
Old 09-14-21, 03:08 AM
JacobWilliss

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Firstly, I want to tell you good luck on the journey you want to start and hope everything will turn out the way you planned.
Old 09-14-21, 09:28 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've got the Osprey Radial. It's a little bigger than I need on most days, but does have capacity for those rare occasions when I need to carry something extra. It has a tucked-away rain cover, but that mostly seems to be to keep the rest of the pack clean—water hasn't intruded even when I don't use it. Seems to be good quality and has held up well. It's pretty well thought out for commuting, although I did add some velcro loops to the "tails" on the shoulder straps to keep them from flapping around.

I've got a locker at my workplace, and I hang the cycling gear I commute in there (also a towel, toiletries, and the shoes I wear at the office). So my packing tactics are probably different than yours.
Old 10-05-22, 01:10 AM
Abulaycan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try a tennis backpack.
Old 10-05-22, 01:29 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Check with Timbuk2. I believe that a lot of their stuff has a lifetime warranty, assuming that you didn't abuse the bag.
Old 10-09-22, 09:20 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I doubt the price is anywhere near $100, but the Ortleib backpacks, if made as well as their panniers, will be a completely waterproof bag for decades of hard use. I have their front paniers. Got them in 1999. 10 years of commuting several days/week year 'round and shopping, I "retired" them and bought new ones. (Actually just bought new replacement hardware and set them up to be rear panniers, not fronts. Became my farmer's market and touring pannier should I do another.

Only repair the bags themselves have ever needed was for a 1" slice made by a very sharp knife. Standard rafting repair and it is like new. I can fill those now 20 year old bags with water at the well and carry the water home. (Haven't but simply because I've never needed to.)

Ben
Ortlieb bags are out of his range but you'd be surprise what you can find in the Clearance sections from time to time especially when it's past season and the new models are being released.