Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Options - Beef up current bike, second bike, new bike, ebike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Options - Beef up current bike, second bike, new bike, ebike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 10:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
He's working on sewing machines these days more than bikes, but he's quite well! The DIY winter tires kind of went by the wayside once enough purpose-made winter tires, like the Schwalbe Marathon Winter and Ice Spiker, became readily available locally.
Thx, good to hear 65er is doing well. I like that guy, he really contributed to BF, making it a better place. Kind of like an anti-troll. More and more lately when people drop off my online radar like that, I worry they might have died
Old 06-26-19, 01:54 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Have you considered a trike for the winter rides? A trike with a simple electric assist will take care of both hills and all but the worst weather. I hate the cold, but want to be able to ride even when it's snowing, so I got a velomobile for my winter ride. If you can tolerate the cold better than me (and pretty much everyone can, I'm from Arizona...) then the open trike is probably a good, less expensive option.
Old 06-30-19, 07:33 PM
malberto13

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Arenberg, 90's Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hi everyone. Im Mal and im new here and Have just got a used 2000 Litespeed Arenberg that I'm trying to rebuild as a commuter. Does anyone have experience with this? do you think the Litespeed will make a good commuter/ everyday bike?
Old 07-01-19, 09:51 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Surly Big Easy.
An investment for sure, but ticks all your boxes and more. Cargo hauler. Kid hauler. E-bike for the slopes.
You can stay loyal to Surly, and keep your Cross Check as a badhass all-arounder.
Old 07-02-19, 07:02 PM
malberto13

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Arenberg, 90's Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, but its definitely too steep for my pockets!
Old 07-04-19, 10:54 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by surlygurly

I am definitely going to upgrade the cassette. LBS said it's a pretty simple switch. I talked to the surly dealer first. Should not be cost prohibitive. I'm also going to add fenders at that point.

My decision about what to do in winter is I need to find a small MTB, I think, and add studded tires. I'm keeping a look out on our local swap groups. So far, nothing. Going to add studded tires on that sucker for bad weather days.
Awesome plan.

I've done well with older MTBs for winter riding. If you can handle a step-through ("women's" style) you should be able to get one, cheap. The ideal winter bike is one where the tires cost more than the rest of the bike, and if you throw some slick tires on for summer, you'll have a backup for commuting if something goes wrong with the usual bike.

Your husband is incorrect that you only need one bike. Remind him of all the money you're saving by not driving much. That should be good for at least another 3-4 bikes