Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

650c wheels on a 61cm frame.... should tall people avoid?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 01:27 PM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey everybody,

I'm looking at buying a Nishiki Altron NFS, with 650c Trispoke wheels.

My concern is this: I'm 6'3, so the 61cm st x 60cm tt will be small for me to begin with, I can raise the seat and be able to handle this (my last bike was a similar size), but the 650c wheels could complicate things.

Any tall guys out there ride with 650c wheels?

Here's an example of the bike, minus the tri-spokes:
https://velospace.org/node/583
Old 12-18-09, 02:31 PM
big_heineken
Just keep pedalling!

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1987 Panasonic DX-4000, 1984 Peugeot PSV10, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1973 Raleigh Sprite, 1987 Peugeot Canyon Express, ~1986 Raleigh Capri, 1994 Trek 850, 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15, 2012 Gravity Zilla

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does changing the wheels affect the size of the frame?
Old 12-18-09, 02:42 PM
Pukeskywalker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big_heineken
How does changing the wheels affect the size of the frame?
It doesn't... but it seems like everybody is only recommending 650c tires for short people. I'm worried there is something I'm missing.

I'm aware that tires are harder to find, that rolling resistance is harder, etc...
Old 12-18-09, 02:50 PM
Quel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pukeskywalker
It doesn't... but it seems like everybody is only recommending 650c tires for short people. I'm worried there is something I'm missing.

I'm aware that tires are harder to find, that rolling resistance is harder, etc...
I don't think it would be much of an issue, outside of looking a little weird. People put 650c on smaller bikes to avoid toe overlap and some other geometry issues that the 700c would create on the small frame. I assume people use 650c on their tri bikes for similar reasons. Shouldn't make much of a difference in performance, but I'd probably avoid them just for the ease of finding wheels and potentially for resale value purposes.
Old 12-18-09, 02:52 PM
Pukeskywalker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quel
I don't think it would be much of an issue, outside of looking a little weird. People put 650c on smaller bikes to avoid toe overlap and some other geometry issues that the 700c would create on the small frame. I assume people use 650c on their tri bikes for similar reasons. Shouldn't make a bit of difference in performance, but I'd probably avoid them just for the ease of finding wheels and potentially for resale value purposes.
hmm okay, thanks for the advice.

The bike is going for $200, brand-new condition... this might be a good buy even if re-selling won't go well
Old 12-18-09, 02:57 PM
big_heineken
Just keep pedalling!

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1987 Panasonic DX-4000, 1984 Peugeot PSV10, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 1973 Raleigh Sprite, 1987 Peugeot Canyon Express, ~1986 Raleigh Capri, 1994 Trek 850, 1984 Centurion Pro Tour 15, 2012 Gravity Zilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quel
I don't think it would be much of an issue, outside of looking a little weird. People put 650c on smaller bikes to avoid toe overlap and some other geometry issues that the 700c would create on the small frame. I assume people use 650c on their tri bikes for similar reasons. Shouldn't make much of a difference in performance, but I'd probably avoid them just for the ease of finding wheels and potentially for resale value purposes.
Per Sheldon Brown:

"If you are going from a very narrow 622 (700C) tire to a fairly wide 584 (650B), the difference may be minimal. For instance, the outside diameter of a 19-622 (700 x 19C) tire would theoretically be exactly the same as a 38-584 (650 x 38B)."

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/650b.html
Old 12-19-09, 08:48 PM
markieta
tallpole

Bikes: P1 Madone 6.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big_heineken
Per Sheldon Brown:

"If you are going from a very narrow 622 (700C) tire to a fairly wide 584 (650B), the difference may be minimal. For instance, the outside diameter of a 19-622 (700 x 19C) tire would theoretically be exactly the same as a 38-584 (650 x 38B)."

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/650b.html

650c...not 650b
Old 12-19-09, 09:24 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I believe the bike in question is a TRI Bike and it was built for the 650 wheels. I think alot of the repliers to this post are under tha assumption that the bike was converted to 650 wheels. this bike might be a good deal but it might not be the best investment. that tri frame will put you in a very aero dynamic position and it might be uncomfortable on long rides.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-19-09, 10:25 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Yes this bike is an older TT/TRI bike and its built for 650c wheels. The whole point of the small wheels is to allow a lower handlebar position. If it fitted you at the seat height in the picture it would be OK but if you need to jack the seat up a long way and if you don't like a low handlebar position then its not for you.

Anthony
Old 12-19-09, 11:06 PM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I believe the bike in question is a TRI Bike and it was built for the 650 wheels. I think alot of the repliers to this post are under tha assumption that the bike was converted to 650 wheels. this bike might be a good deal but it might not be the best investment. that tri frame will put you in a very aero dynamic position and it might be uncomfortable on long rides.
I only ride a TT bike here in Socal. If it fits right, you can ride it as far as you want. Centuries, double centuries, etc. Keep in mind that pro ironman competitors have to race 112+ miles on the bike in aero position and THEN run a marathon after that. They clearly aren't having any back issues, and even the amateurs make good use of the tribikes in the ironman as well. It's all about the fit.
Old 12-20-09, 10:36 AM
BOHICA
CCC

Bikes: Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'2" and one of my bikes is a Tri bike with 650c wheels. It rides just fine. The only down side is new tires can be hard to find since the majority of road bikes out there are on 700c wheels. You can tires online though.
Old 12-20-09, 10:45 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
There are a lot of arguments (whether valid or not) for going with 650c, even on larger frames.

From the 1992 Schwinn Paramount catalog:

The Case for 26” Wheels

Ask Product Manager and Cat II racer Dennis Lane why you should consider switching to 26” wheels and he’ll tell you the real question is why anyone still rides 700C in the first place.

“I’ve ridden a Series 7 prototype for the past two seasons,” he explains, “and the 26” wheels are faster in every respect.”

“Of course there’s less wind resistance with 26. And they’re lighter and stronger because the spokes are shorter. And the reduced gyroscopic force lets the bike change lines quicker, making it more maneuverable. And because they’re smaller and weigh less, they accelerate faster. Those are all points people pick up on right away in a test ride.”

“But what really sells them is the first time they ride in a pack. They can’t believe it! They’re motoring along at 25 or 30 mph, and realize they’re doing a lot less work – every time they jump it’s an instant bike length on the nearest rider. By the end of the race, they’re lifetime converts.”

The biggest resistance to the use of 650c seems to have been they just don't look right on bigger frames.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 12-20-09, 10:45 AM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well...my long distance/touring/sometimes club ride bike has thin 26" wheels, and i'm 6'0. I get weird looks, but really like the bike. the wheels are super sturdy, and I have a lot of choices from 26x1 slicks to 26x1.50 super knobby tires.

my $0.02 about smaller wheel diameters.
Old 12-20-09, 11:49 AM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
There are a lot of arguments (whether valid or not) for going with 650c, even on larger frames.

From the 1992 Schwinn Paramount catalog:

The Case for 26” Wheels

Ask Product Manager and Cat II racer Dennis Lane why you should consider switching to 26” wheels and he’ll tell you the real question is why anyone still rides 700C in the first place.

“I’ve ridden a Series 7 prototype for the past two seasons,” he explains, “and the 26” wheels are faster in every respect.”

“Of course there’s less wind resistance with 26. And they’re lighter and stronger because the spokes are shorter. And the reduced gyroscopic force lets the bike change lines quicker, making it more maneuverable. And because they’re smaller and weigh less, they accelerate faster. Those are all points people pick up on right away in a test ride.”

“But what really sells them is the first time they ride in a pack. They can’t believe it! They’re motoring along at 25 or 30 mph, and realize they’re doing a lot less work – every time they jump it’s an instant bike length on the nearest rider. By the end of the race, they’re lifetime converts.”

The biggest resistance to the use of 650c seems to have been they just don't look right on bigger frames.

He seems to have forgotten that at some point, you'll get a puncture. I'd love to see this tit digging through the back of the neutral service car looking for the special wheels that are in there just for him. That's why the ladies peleton is still all on 700c, even though some of them TT on 650's.
Old 12-20-09, 01:30 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Basil Moss
He seems to have forgotten that at some point, you'll get a puncture. I'd love to see this tit digging through the back of the neutral service car looking for the special wheels that are in there just for him. That's why the ladies peleton is still all on 700c, even though some of them TT on 650's.
Although the Schwinn catalog quote is from a Cat 2 racer, many of the supposed advantages of 650c wheels apply in non-competitive road cycling where carrying a patch kit for fixing punctures would make having spare wheels available from a support vehicle less of an issue.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 06-24-19, 09:24 AM
jzman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you still have the Nishiki Altron NFS?

I have one, but it has normal spoked wheels on it. I am trying to find a pair of the original Tri-spoke wheels. Would you be willing to sell them?