Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where to clamp bike stand clamp on bikes with long seat tubes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 09:54 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

My bike is a BH G7. The bike has a VERY long seat tube (see image below). The way I have my bike setup is the seat post does not extent very much out of the seat tube.

I do not like clamping the clamp from the bike stand on the seat tube for fear of crushing it. But there is not enough seat post sticking out of the frame to use the clamp on.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or am I ok clamping on the seat tube? Don't I need to worry about cracking the carbon?

Thank you.

(Note, while this is a picture of my bike, this is NOT my bike...If that makes any sense)
Old 06-25-19, 11:03 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Well, you could mark the seatpost position with a Sharpie or something, raise the post high enough to clamp it and put it back when you are done.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-25-19, 11:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
with no round tubes , you would have a repair service stand like this ..

Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-25-19, 11:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

If the seat post is round , you can get a metal seat post to to insert in the frame,

just for placing in the repair stand clamp..

Then put the carbon one back in when you are finished..
Old 06-25-19, 11:21 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
DO NOT clamp on the frame. You will destroy the bike. You could, as suggested, raise the seatpost and clamp there, then drop the post back down when you are ready to ride again.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 06-25-19, 11:31 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Just NO. Don't clamp that bike anywhere including the seat post especially if it is carbon. Plus the seat post looks aero so not round, difficult to clamp.

The best way to handle your carbon bike is to use a dedicated stand like the Feedback Sprint Stand or the Park Tool Team Issue Repair stand.

Likes For blakcloud:
Old 06-25-19, 11:32 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Tell the truth,bro, you just wanted an excuse to post a pic of that bad-ass ride !!!!!!

(BTW, the seatpost doesn't look round, to me. )
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 06-25-19, 12:17 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Sorry, I should have added, if you already own a typical repair stand you could purchase the Hirobel device from Silca and use it in conjunction with your stand. Saves a bit of money. https://info.silca.cc/hirobel-launch

Likes For blakcloud:
Old 06-25-19, 02:14 PM
NoWhammies

Aw crap. Looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new repair stand Although as mentioned, I could start raising and lowering the seat post in the interim.

The seat post is not round, BTW. Hopefully I haven't wrecked the bike for the few times I have thus far clamped it down on the seat tube. Even if it wasn't with a lot of force...

What I have been doing at times, is just hanging the bike by the seat. While this works ok, sometimes though I need the bike to be stable.

@Brocephus thanks for the compliment. I do indeed really enjoy my bike.
Old 06-26-19, 07:07 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I will second the race type repair stand. I have both versions but I use my "race" stand a lot. Very nice for carbon frame issues!
Old 06-26-19, 08:06 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Aw crap. Looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new repair stand Although as mentioned, I could start raising and lowering the seat post in the interim.

The seat post is not round, BTW. Hopefully I haven't wrecked the bike for the few times I have thus far clamped it down on the seat tube. Even if it wasn't with a lot of force...

What I have been doing at times, is just hanging the bike by the seat. While this works ok, sometimes though I need the bike to be stable.

@Brocephus thanks for the compliment. I do indeed really enjoy my bike.
In my Park PCS-2 (I think), a seapost like that could fit snugly into the open clamp and not need to be closed.
Old 06-26-19, 08:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

The race stands do have an advantage ... you can walk around, so access both sides of the bike equally..
Old 06-26-19, 12:38 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
There's no problem clamping the seat post,

but if you clamp the seat tube with the post inside it, it will be crushed & ruined?

By that logic you should not use a seat post clamp- maybe some tape & don't actually sit on the saddle.
Old 06-26-19, 01:57 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Sorry, I should have added, if you already own a typical repair stand you could purchase the Hirobel device from Silca and use it in conjunction with your stand. Saves a bit of money. https://info.silca.cc/hirobel-launch

Ha! I never thought I would see "Saves a bit of money" and "Silca" in the same post
Old 06-26-19, 02:43 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
There's no problem clamping the seat post,

but if you clamp the seat tube with the post inside it, it will be crushed & ruined?

By that logic you should not use a seat post clamp- maybe some tape & don't actually sit on the saddle.
The area of the frame immediately under the seatpost clamp is designed to withstand the clamping pressure. The rest of the seat tube is not. If I remember correctly, on the carbon frames I have, there's a small relief cut at the top of the seat tube, just like on metal frames (at least for round posts). That allows the frame material to safely flex inward until it makes hard contact with the seatpost, allowing the seatpost to bear most of the clamping load. It's sort of the reverse of how an expansion plug pushes outward to help a carbon steerer withstand the forces of a stem clamp.

Further down the seat tube, the seatpost is not in sufficiently firm contact with the tube walls to allow it to support the tube against clamping forces (if it were, the friction would be so high that it would be impossible to get the post in or out -- that's exactly why seat post clamps work in the first place). So any clamping pressure is going to be borne by the seat tube walls alone. Even if it's a fairly snug fit, the tube would still have to collapse inward some small amount until it contacted the seatpost and the inward and outward forces balanced out. And since there's no relief cut -- crunch. You might get away with it, or not.
Old 06-27-19, 10:07 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by Metaluna
The area of the frame immediately under the seatpost clamp is designed to withstand the clamping pressure. The rest of the seat tube is not. If I remember correctly, on the carbon frames I have, there's a small relief cut at the top of the seat tube, just like on metal frames (at least for round posts). That allows the frame material to safely flex inward until it makes hard contact with the seatpost, allowing the seatpost to bear most of the clamping load. It's sort of the reverse of how an expansion plug pushes outward to help a carbon steerer withstand the forces of a stem clamp.

Further down the seat tube, the seatpost is not in sufficiently firm contact with the tube walls to allow it to support the tube against clamping forces (if it were, the friction would be so high that it would be impossible to get the post in or out -- that's exactly why seat post clamps work in the first place). So any clamping pressure is going to be borne by the seat tube walls alone. Even if it's a fairly snug fit, the tube would still have to collapse inward some small amount until it contacted the seatpost and the inward and outward forces balanced out. And since there's no relief cut -- crunch. You might get away with it, or not.

And you have direct knowledge of how many of these seat tubes crushed by a repair stand clamp?
Old 06-27-19, 11:46 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Your original premise was that if it's okay to put a seatpost clamp on the seat tube without destroying the frame, then it must also be okay to clamp any other part of the seat tube as long as the post is inside it. I gave a specific example of how the seat clamp area is designed differently from the rest of the seat tube and therefore the same logic can't be applied elsewhere, i.e. the premise is faulty. If that's not enough, combined with warnings from frame manufacturers, etc., then by all means proceed. It's your bike.
Old 06-27-19, 12:03 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
"Silca" add on

Originally Posted by blakcloud

Holy smokes, is that thing really $185? Protecting a bike that costs thousands, ok, but it looks like a little DIY might not be very different.
Silca floor pumps are being repro-ed by an American enthusiast, which is I think is kinda cool, (even if not for me.) Is the Silca brand name under new ownership?
Old 06-27-19, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Is the Silca brand name under new ownership?
yes, the Italian company is no more..
Old 06-27-19, 12:43 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Maybe it will fit in the "BontragerUniversal Repair Stand Adapter" or similar?
Old 06-27-19, 01:02 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by Metaluna
Your original premise was that if it's okay to put a seatpost clamp on the seat tube without destroying the frame, then it must also be okay to clamp any other part of the seat tube as long as the post is inside it. I gave a specific example of how the seat clamp area is designed differently from the rest of the seat tube and therefore the same logic can't be applied elsewhere, i.e. the premise is faulty. If that's not enough, combined with warnings from frame manufacturers, etc., then by all means proceed. It's your bike.

Not exactly my original premise, but I'll take your post to mean that you have no example of damage actually being caused in this way.

While I mostly just hang the bike by the saddle nose, I've clamped many bikes over many years by the seat tube with no issues.
Old 06-27-19, 01:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

The accessory in # 8 .. is looking like it was inspired by a trunk rack that would strap on.. the car trunk/boot..
Old 06-28-19, 09:00 AM
NoWhammies

Originally Posted by woodcraft
While I mostly just hang the bike by the saddle nose, I've clamped many bikes over many years by the seat tube with no issues.
I am starting to do this more and more with my bike. Hanging it by the saddle nose. I am concerned about squishing the seat tube. Mind you there are times when I do need to secure the bike, and for that I'm at a loss as what to do. I could see about using my Kuat bike rack I suppose. At least for some work.

Last edited by NoWhammies; 06-28-19 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 09:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Consider a low stool so you can sit at the height of the bike on the ground.. or on a low table?
Old 06-28-19, 10:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I would not clamp anywhere on a carbon frame. Delamination or cracked fibers could happen under the surface and may not even be visible. .

The top tube just forward of the seat tube junction is commonly clamped but one of the worst places to do so. Carbon fibers at this spot typically run lengthwise - they are very resistant to bending loads but not resistant at all to crushing loads. It only takes 1% or 2% elongation to begin cracking the fibers. Seat tubes are similar.

Ruckus Composites/Silca show some crushed frames at https://info.silca.cc/hirobel-launch.

The Hirobel and other horizontal solutions above are the way to go.

"I've clamped my carbon frame and never had a problem" should be "I've clamped my carbon frame and have not yet seen any damage."

My thin walled True Temper S3 steel frame will never see a frame clamp. I'll crush the Enve seat post before I put the frame in a clamp of any kind.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.