Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rainman slaps Garmin

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rainman slaps Garmin

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 01:20 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Maybe I've been lucky in my experience with them, I don't know. But I do know a lot of cyclists have had a lot of trouble with most of their computers.
About once a year (over the last 6 years) with an 810 and then a 1000 and now a 1030, I've had a few issues, most I chalk up as minor. Considering I ride almost daily, to include when traveling, I've either been really lucky or I just use my devices as they were intended, so they simply don't have the freak outs many people describe. I wouldn't suggest that peoples' experiences are fake, I'm just saying, I don't have them.

The issues I have had over several thousand rides:
1) An 810 that refused to operate properly when the temp hit 0°C...warranty replacement by Garmin out of warranty.
2) 810 random shut down. Exactly 2 times in the same ride, total lost mileage was less than 1000m, occurred while following a course (which at that time I rarely did), after a firmware update never happened again.
3) 1000 random shutdown. While following a Strava segment. Called Garmin, sent a log, they informed me that this was a known issue, told me to try the then current beta firmware which addressed it. No further issues.
4) 1030 random shutdown. Honestly, I do not recall what was happening. I noticed it and restarted the device, I lost about 400m of recording. Firmware upgrade pushed out short time after, I've never given it a second thought.
5) In total across the 810 and 1000, I've had maybe 5 rides out of a couple thousand where the time stamps went wonky and the ride wouldn't sync. Used .fitfiletools to fix.
6) The 1000 on two different occasions full-dropped GPS lock, while following a course, and pausing...upon restart codlin;t find the satellites or stay locked for several minutes, losing a total of less than 30 minutes total recording.

What irritates me more is an issue unrelated to Garmin...position drift in cities (tall buildings), in forests, and next to large terrain features with steep sides. But, this is not something cheaply rectified, so it's just a feature at this point.
Old 06-25-19, 01:33 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
How well GLONASS supplementation works depends where you live (in relation to the satellite constellation).
True, best coverage is in Russia, and even then it doesn't resolve position as reliably as the USG based GPS. Since Galileo was made available via firmware (my Fenix 5 and 1030 can use both), I use that with GPS and no issues. But, it makes sense that the GPS and GLONASS combination might be weird.
Old 06-25-19, 03:26 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
When I decided wanted to use GPS on my bicycle, I had an iPhone and Strava was free. Now it works with BT accessories. Why even bother with adding another head unit?
Weather, battery life, theft, vibration, cost of replacing a bike computer vs replacing an iPhone, etc. My phone lives safely in a jersey pocket or in a zip lock if there's weather. If my Garmin dies, I just lose ride data. If my phone dies, I could be stranded.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 06-26-19 at 01:01 PM.
Likes For bbbean:
Old 06-26-19, 07:19 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Weather, battery life, theft, vibration, cost of replacing a bike computer vs replacing an iPhone, etc. My phone lives safely in a jersey pocket or in a zip lock if there's is weather. If my Garmin dies, I just lose ride data. If my phone dies, I could be stranded.
I have the same thoughts! AND if my phone dies I am out $800, if my Garmin dies I can replace it for WAY cheaper.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 06-30-19, 07:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
The kind of crap you deal with, with Garmin, is you never know what function they’ll break next.

I’m not 100% certain this is Garmin’s fault, but my 1000 and the Garmin Connect connection suddenly stopped today, sending an upload to RWGPS. It’s worked fine for 3 years. A few weeks ago the BlueTooth BT_Edge connection stoped making its automatic connection to my iPhone 8. I chalked that up to an iOS update that Garmin will not check the functions of on their assorted devices. They want a whole lot of files off the device and I needed to jump thru a lot of hoops to get this function back and I could always just manually make a connection. So I skipped thenGarmin tech. support help.

Then today I get no file sent from Connect to RWGPS. I e-mail RWGPS, they reply (on a Sunday) but have no actual useful advise other then to say it can take a few hours, even though it was always like 10 minutes. No amount of resetting and checking connections, logging out/in, removing devices from iPhone, Connect Mobile, etc.... seems to work.

I’m going to be really pissed if I don’t get this back as I use RWGPS as my activity log. Maybe buying a Wahoo soon.
Old 06-30-19, 07:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I have no problem with Garmin units, or any other GPS unit or smart phone. I do not have any.
Old 07-03-19, 02:25 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have no problem with Garmin units, or any other GPS unit or smart phone. I do not have any.
Thank you so much for your valuable post. Not only have you provided critical and useful information, but your virtue signaling has let us know we are in the presence of our true superior. Thank you again.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 07-03-19, 02:38 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I have an Edge 520 Plus. I use it on several bikes, usually on my main road bike which has a double-sided power meter, a heart rate monitor and a Galaxy S10 phone. I don't have a speed sensor on any bike and get cadence off of the power meter. I use a variety of in front of the stem mounts.

Everything worked the first time I used it and I've had zero problems with it since. The data I get off of it seem dead on. I don't use it for navigation often, I have used the turn-by-turn functionality using a pre-loaded course on occasion and that worked fine.

One small thing, which I'm not sure is even an issue: I find it doesn't connect to my phone reliably unless I start the Connect app before the ride. If I do start the app, it stays connected to my phone with no issue. Garmin forums are a bit cagey on how this is supposed to work. Also, updating the maps on this thing took, no joke, three hours.

The display is just about the right size and easy to read. The mounting system is solid. The buttons are just hard enough to push. The battery life is damned good. Overall, it seems like a solid little device to me.
Old 07-03-19, 03:04 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I got a new replacement iPhone and loaded it with a backup of my old iPhone. I’ve spent a day or so trying to pair my new iPhone with my 1030. When the 1030 says it’s connected, Garmin Connect says it’s not and vice versa. I keep deleting connections and rebooting both my iPhone and my 1030 but they both want to ignore th3 other.

It’s almost comical.

Old 07-05-19, 11:32 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Thank you so much for your valuable post. Not only have you provided critical and useful information, but your virtue signaling has let us know we are in the presence of our true superior. Thank you again.
But... not owning a smart phone is 2019 is completely realistic and practical! We should all aspire to such greatness!
Old 07-15-19, 04:06 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
So is wahoo finally experiencing growing pains with the roam delays and mount failures and now the bolt android app update bricking the units?
Old 07-15-19, 04:25 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I’d love to be at the point in life where I don’t regularly carry or need a smartphone. Unfortunately I need it for work.

-Tim-
Old 07-15-19, 07:51 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
This is a bit of a bummer to read. I was all set to get an 830 bundle with HRM. May stick with the iPhone in the seatbag until Garmin (or Wahoo, or someone else) figures it out...
Old 07-15-19, 08:39 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
My Garmin 520+ LiveTrack failed again, it has not functioned properly since June 29. Worked fine from December until mid-May, when a Garmin Connect app update killed it. They fixed the app, it started working. Early June it quit again, I found another app update and installed it, started working again, for a couple weeks, then died again. No amount of re-pairing or other fiddling helped.

went back and forth with Garmin support last week, found that LiveTrack will work if I manually start it on the phone first. It’s a PITA, since the LT start is buried 4 levels down in the app. The LT Autostart doesn’t work. Garmin says it’s a known issue and they are working on it.
Old 07-15-19, 10:32 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I got a new replacement iPhone and loaded it with a backup of my old iPhone. I’ve spent a day or so trying to pair my new iPhone with my 1030. When the 1030 says it’s connected, Garmin Connect says it’s not and vice versa. I keep deleting connections and rebooting both my iPhone and my 1030 but they both want to ignore th3 other.

It’s almost comical.
Hmm.

I did the same thing, twice, and had no difficulties pairing the 1030 with two different new iPhones (an X and XS Max). I also paired it with a Samsung S8 without issue.

I paired the same 1030 with an ancient iPhone 5 and an ancient Android tablet. It worked in both of these cases but doing so was "balky".

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-15-19 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 05:49 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Hmm.

I did the same thing, twice, and had no difficulties pairing the 1030 with two different new iPhones (an X and XS Max). I also paired it with a Samsung S8 without issue.

I paired the same 1030 with an ancient iPhone 5 and an ancient Android tablet. It worked in both of these cases but doing so was "balky".
Yep. I’ve had two replacement I7 phones in the last 6 months (thus the new XS) and was able to pair them with no problem. I finally got the XS paired and it worked great for 3-4 rides and then wouldn’t upload for 3 rides and now it’s uploaded fine the last few days. You never know.