Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

not bonk after all

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

not bonk after all

Old 12-13-06, 06:08 PM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not bonk after all

I think I had a thread titled :BONK but I can't find it...
the topic was that I was overly tired from my commute, and not wanting to ride, due to going 10 miles one way, up to 20+ miles a day (but not every day...)
The answers I got were thoughtful and helpful, and I wanted to honor that by letting you all know that eating right before riding might be part of it, BUT

realizing that I was pushing, however minutely, was what changed how I feel.

What I did was watch my odometer, and push to go 10 MPH whenever I was on flat land. For some of you that probably sounds intolerably slow, but for me it was too much. Now I have a mean speed of 7 mph, and no more "oh, I just can't get on the bike today"!!!

It takes longer than it used to for the trip, but I guess I lost some fitness when I slowed down last year, and no matter how long it takes, it is more fun and cheaper than using gasoline.

So I am just going to earn that "gramma", and go slow.

I also gave myself permission to ride the lite rail/bus combo when I am feeling whipped, but am finding I am using it less than planned, since I am not feeling whipped so much.

Thanks again for the help.
Jess
Old 12-14-06, 09:05 AM
geezerx
geezer

Bikes: Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your decision. I bet you will find that there are days that you feel better and can pick up the pace if you want to. We are so lucky to have the great bike trail system here in Sacramento.
Old 01-24-07, 10:52 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what a difference a break can make. I have been using lite rail and the bus almost daily, and now I find myself enjoying riding again. It's fun to go fast again.

My mileage is down to just a couple a day... but I am not calling for rescue or fighting feeling tired and not wanting to go to work. Just have to up those miles more slowly.
Old 01-24-07, 11:02 AM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good to hear that you are feeling better. Enjoy your riding and work up the mileage slowly, maybe +10% each week at most.