Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What conditions make you abandon your commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: What keeps you off your bike
Darkness
3.35%
Heavy fog
9.57%
Heavy rain
31.58%
Lightning
31.58%
25mph winds
13.88%
15 F cold
18.18%
100 F hot
7.66%
Ice
39.23%
Combination of at least 2 of the above required
13.40%
Nothing on this list
26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

What conditions make you abandon your commute

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 06:36 PM
Intheloonybin

Bikes: 1987 Denti w dura ace (road)/ "cheap" Jamis (mtn)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first commute two years ago, I basically rode home into a tornado. Other than the water being blown up my nose, it wasn't too bad...

Ice, cold, snow, bring it on... I just put my new nokians on! (did not MEAN to rhyme, it just happened)

I don't like to ride in downpour rains, but we will see next summer. If the lightning keeps going on and on, I would have to think about it.
Old 12-09-07, 10:36 AM
geogaddi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nothing. multivariable conditions just require more caution which increases the time spent commuting.
Old 12-09-07, 07:16 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Nothing on that list has stopped me yet, but that doesn't mean it never will. Sickness stops me, and I imagine riding in hail would be quite painful. We rarely get significant hail around here though, usually just pea-sized.
Old 12-10-07, 08:04 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devianb
I hate being wet.

Old 12-10-07, 08:13 AM
hobbsc
backwoods bicycle militia

Bikes: 2019 FIT PRK, 2019 WTP Avenger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hail, threatening lightening, or snow I can't pedal through. All of which are rare conditions.

I've ridden in hail before, and let me tell you... it hurts like heck! I don't recommend it.
Old 12-10-07, 08:42 AM
Choccy
Commuter

Bikes: Handsome Dog Titanium (Work) Santa Cruz Superlight (Play) Kona Stinky (Real Play)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I must say that I have ridden in all the conditions above and that lightning and wind are the scariest. I've ridden to work and had a tree about 40 yards away get struck by lightning, that made me pedal a lot faster. And wind is scary because there are lots of trees on my route which causes them to fall. The road I use to ride to work was closed for 3 days during the storm of 1987 because so many trees fell blocking the road.
Old 12-10-07, 08:53 AM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Big enough hail would probably make me wait until it passed-it rarely lasts long. Last year there was about pea-sized hail coming down when I was ready to go home. I looked at it for a few seconds, and said "eh, what the hell" and took off. I just had to tip my head enough that it wasn't striking my face.
If there was a pretty imminent thread of tornadoes (those in the midwest know what that sky looks like) I'd stay inside until it was past, regardless of my means of transportation.
Old 12-10-07, 09:22 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Darkness does it for me... Yeah, I have good lighting, but the suburban stripmall background makes me just disappear against all their flashy lights. Coupled with high speed traffic, darkness is not a good thing.

Heavy rain, rare in the area, and because of that rareness, drivers just don't handle it well.
Old 12-10-07, 12:52 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
More things make me abandon my commute in my current location than at my previous one.

Heavy rain will do it...because there's no drainage here! They haven't heard of these new-fangled things called "sewers"...it takes less than a few minutes for the streets to be running streams, and in some places quite literally. The "drainage plan" involves flood areas that cut across the road in three places on my commute. This particularly advanced infrastructure has left me stranded at home unable to go by bike or car on several occassions!

Weather conditions that I didn't bat an eye at in Utah have me thinking twice here. The roads are horrible, and so are the drivers.

Of course, one constant from place to place is lightning. Whether I want to ride or not, my wife has put her foot down on that one.
Old 12-10-07, 12:58 PM
NotReady4Purple

Bikes: Electra Townie 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow. (How come that's not on the list?)
Old 12-11-07, 01:08 PM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't say I have needed to ride in snow or ice, living in the valley and all, but wind, WIND sucks, and stops my fun.

Does it count if part of my ride is bus/train part bike? if it does, then only lack of time will cause me to wimp out. On the days I am tired, i am sick or it is windy, I do 2 miles from bus/train to home.
Old 12-11-07, 01:43 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't ride if the roads are frozen over or unplowed. Extreme cold and severe winds are a bad combo. Lastly, if there is a torrential downpour going on before I leave home, I might skip the ride.

But even more extreme cold/heat typically don't bother me if I'm dressed for it.
Old 12-11-07, 02:01 PM
rohmen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; Bianchi San Jose; Schwinn Super Sport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ice and large amounts of snow are all that keep me from commuting in by bike. I've never minded extreme cold, heat, or rain, but the threat of an ice storm or large scale snow storm will make me opt for public transportation instantly. Luckily, Chicago uses so much salt and plows enough that it is rarely a problem even in the dead of winter.
Old 12-11-07, 02:48 PM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
usually only lightning, although I still seem to ride in it all the time =/

But, today I skimped out because there was supposed to be a bad ice storm, in the dark, while i was going extra far on busy rodes around rush hour, so bad combinations of the above sometimes happen too.
Old 12-11-07, 03:36 PM
trombone
<user defined text>

Bikes: 80's peugeot. Somewhat knackered. Lovely new Salsa Casseroll singlespeed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We don't get ice / snow in Sydney, so I don't know what I'd do in that situation. It sounds from reading others' experiences that provided you're kittted out for it, it's OK, so I'd probably give it a whirl.

Other than that, nothing really keeps me off the bike. We have had some very significant hail in Sydney recently (and it's supposed to be summer, goddammit!), and I got caught out in a shower the other day. It was quite painful, so I sheltered under cover until it had passed. Those kind of storms pass over pretty fast though, so whilst I might not actually ride in the hail, I'll go out once it's passed.
Old 12-11-07, 06:17 PM
urban rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate black ice! The last two days in which I rode on ice I slipped and fell. So I would have to say that I dislike riding on ice.

Gas, the price of a can of beans.