Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Using the Dahon bike rack

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-07-08, 08:54 PM
wfisher

Bikes: Fuji Pro 2003, Ross converted fixie, Dahon Speed D7, Raleigh C30, junkie road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whenever I use my folding bike (a Dahon Speed D7) I'm generally carrying a lot of stuff with me. It's usually a big school-size backpack filled to the brim. The problem is, I hate to carry this very heavy load on my back because it gets painful after even a couple miles. Is there ANY way to carry this load on my bike? I have no idea how I'd strap to a rack because the rack is just a wire frame and a few bungee cords won't keep my backpack from falling over.

More importantly, how does anybody utilize the rack on the Dahons??? I can't think of one easy to way to carry any load on suck a rack without a complex system of bungee cords, tape or tie-downs none of which are even remotely as easy as sticking something in a milk create. How do you all use your folding bike racks? Thanks.
Old 02-07-08, 09:37 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a little rack trunk I use on mine. I actually move it from bike to bike, when I don't need all the space of my big one. I have used the big one on the Dahon too, but usually don't need that much room. I think two, maybe three bungees at the most, would hold your backpack on the rack. (That nearly rhymes. Is there a song in there somewhere?)
Old 02-08-08, 07:49 AM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel your pain wfisher. Bungeeing stuff is a pain and a waste of time for short rides.

Here's what I like to do:
1. Attach a milk crate to your rack with bungees, buckles, or otherwise. Put the bag in the crate. Unfortunately if you need to fold then this will be problematic.
2. Hang the bag from your seat. There's plenty of room above the rear wheel on folders. However, you have to be careful about giving your thighs and heels enough clearance to pedal. The best solution I've found for solving the clearance problem is to make a small hammock between the back of the rack and the seat. I use a simple stuffed animal hammock that I picked up at a thrift store for 75c, but any old piece of frabric should do. Hang the weight of your baggage from the seat and cradle the bulk in the hammock, pulling the bulk away from your legs and feet. I usually hang stuff from the nose of the seat, but for a backpack you might want to put some hooks on the back of the saddle rails.

Last edited by makeinu; 02-08-08 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-08-08, 08:28 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Get a small pannier. You can leave it on the right side of the rack and it won't affect the fold.

I'm pretty sure you can find one with a shoulder strap. It won't be quite as nice to carry as a backpack, though.
Old 02-08-08, 10:02 AM
Cholmeleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are bags designed for rack attachment (rack bags!) which attach with velcro. Pretty easy to use.
Old 02-08-08, 12:23 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wfisher
Whenever I use my folding bike (a Dahon Speed D7) I'm generally carrying a lot of stuff with me. It's usually a big school-size backpack filled to the brim. The problem is, I hate to carry this very heavy load on my back because it gets painful after even a couple miles. Is there ANY way to carry this load on my bike? I have no idea how I'd strap to a rack because the rack is just a wire frame and a few bungee cords won't keep my backpack from falling over.

More importantly, how does anybody utilize the rack on the Dahons??? I can't think of one easy to way to carry any load on suck a rack without a complex system of bungee cords, tape or tie-downs none of which are even remotely as easy as sticking something in a milk create. How do you all use your folding bike racks? Thanks.
I have been favoring my little Piccolo for utility style riding. The rear rack is perfect in spite of it's open wire frame. When I have to carry loose small items that do not lend itself to bungee cord ties, I use a large duffle bag. It is filled with whatever I choose to carry with me. I attach it with a bungee cord or two. When I am off the bike, I have a shoulder strap handle to carry it about with me-and the bike too. I don't leave that anywhere to be tampered with. Milk Crates are great for towing food items-like milk-but it is impractical for other commuting uses.
Old 02-08-08, 12:59 PM
veggie_lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this one chain side of my D7. Once you screw it in, it is probably not something you want to remove often, it would take 5-10 minutes. But it folds nicely on the side:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Rear-Folding-Bic...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-09-08, 01:02 PM
folderster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wfisher, I have the same issue and hope we can keep this thread going. I would love to hear some more creative solutions.

The problem with the milk crate and even the small pannier suggestions is that they are impossible to use on the Dahon rack if you have even moderately long feet. Your heel will pound into anything that exceeds the width of the rack or hangs down the side.

For those who suggested the above, could you elaborate on how you actually did it?

Just for example, my wife has the wire basket rack veggie lover links to. I tried it on my D7 and the pedal barely clears the basket never mind a foot.

I can bungie a milkcrate on, but the only way to pedal is on the ends of my heels, which is a really bad idea.

How did you all actually make it work?

A regular bike trunk will work for clothes/small accessories, but that doesn't help with wider, boxier items that you might want to carry.

I'll be forever indebted to whoever can help me figure out how to sensibly ride with my 20lb, 10x15x15 fiddle amp on the rack instead of on my back!
Old 02-09-08, 02:05 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by folderster
wfisher, I have the same issue and hope we can keep this thread going. I would love to hear some more creative solutions.

The problem with the milk crate and even the small pannier suggestions is that they are impossible to use on the Dahon rack if you have even moderately long feet. Your heel will pound into anything that exceeds the width of the rack or hangs down the side.

For those who suggested the above, could you elaborate on how you actually did it?

Just for example, my wife has the wire basket rack veggie lover links to. I tried it on my D7 and the pedal barely clears the basket never mind a foot.

I can bungie a milkcrate on, but the only way to pedal is on the ends of my heels, which is a really bad idea.

How did you all actually make it work?

A regular bike trunk will work for clothes/small accessories, but that doesn't help with wider, boxier items that you might want to carry.

I'll be forever indebted to whoever can help me figure out how to sensibly ride with my 20lb, 10x15x15 fiddle amp on the rack instead of on my back!
I think that this requires some sewing prowess. If I have the time, I might just design a pattern to fit large bulky times like the fiddle amp on the Dahon's rear rack. It would be quite a challenge to make and see if it works! For some of my present and future projects see my new "Creative Projects For You And Your Folding Bicycle" on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/world-of-folding-bicycles/sets/72157601331380862/
Old 02-10-08, 10:35 PM
farrellcollie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have attached a kitty litter pail to my folder's rack - I chose a curved container which I don't end up kicking. It is attached with zip ties - not a good solution if you have to fold the bike often - but I don't usually fold mine.
Old 02-11-08, 05:27 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by wfisher

Hello wfisher,
My wife and I have two Dahon Speed TRs. We have the stock Dahon Touring rear racks in back and use Ortlieb Office Bags. See here,
https://www.rei.com/product/768571
or here,
https://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prod-79.htm

My wife is a school teacher and packs lots of heavy books and stuff around with these bags all the time. The Ortlieb bags are waterproof and are well made. The best I feel. Have a look.

I hope this helps.

Ciao,
Timothy
Old 02-11-08, 01:33 PM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hang a tote bag or a backpack with the straps shortened up as much as possible on the handlebars. I know sometimes people complain about things swaying from handlebars, but that does not bother me. I do wrap the straps on my purse or bag around the handlebars