Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winter Copenhagen Trip

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Winter Copenhagen Trip

Old 11-03-04, 05:08 PM
bpave777

Bikes: Cyclocross, Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like my company is sending me to Copenhagen December 1st - January 15th. Of course the first thing I thought about was, 'what's it going to do to my daily therapy (riding)?'

I know that Denmark is incredibly bike friendly. Also, that Copenhagen is one of the few cities that have government sponsored programs to encourage bicycling. What I don't know is:

What is the weather going to be like for riding Dec-Jan? I've already seen the temp averages, which make it seem like a possibility (0-10c). I'm just wondering how popular cycling is in Copenhagen these winter months?
Should I purchase a bike over there or just use the ones provided for rental?
If I buy a bike over there, how cost effective is it to ship it back (considering I would want to keep it)?

Thanks for any responses.
Bjorn

Last edited by bpave777; 11-03-04 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-03-04, 05:56 PM
Shannon-UT

Bikes: 2003 Diamondback Apex; 1998 Gary Fisher Kaitai (commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love Copenhagen.

I have a friend living there. From what I gather from his letters to me it's wet and chilly in those months. But he does bike all year round.

They got the free yellow bike system going on over there, if you can find a bike!
Old 11-03-04, 06:18 PM
bpave777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon-UT
I love Copenhagen.

They got the free yellow bike system going on over there, if you can find a bike!
Thanks for the reply Shannon. I've read about that bike program, but I just don't know if it's reliable enough for everyday commuting. Plus, I've got no idea if those bikes are any fun for a weekend ride. Somehow I doubt it. I'm guessing I'll have to spend some money on a bike out there.
Old 11-03-04, 06:24 PM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're going from Dec 20 to Jan 4. GF lived in denmark for about 10 years, said to expect cold & rainy. So its like a San Fran summer.

prolly cold for you; near freezing at times. Its a seriously bike friendly city though; we have a pic on the fridge of the Copenhagen train station that is packed full of bikes. Easily hundreds, in racks, double decker racks, etc. Its very cool.
Old 11-03-04, 06:53 PM
bpave777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfbiked
We're going from Dec 20 to Jan 4. GF lived in denmark for about 10 years, said to expect cold & rainy. So its like a San Fran summer.

prolly cold for you; near freezing at times. Its a seriously bike friendly city though; we have a pic on the fridge of the Copenhagen train station that is packed full of bikes. Easily hundreds, in racks, double decker racks, etc. Its very cool.
LOL! we had about a weeks worth of summer this year.

I'll plan on gearing up a bit before I go. Winter in SF means a wool jersey, a pair of Dickies, raingear (for today that's for sure), and maybe some long gloves. I bet I'll need a few more things for Denmark

Thanks