Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Others who do NOT feel hassled

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Others who do NOT feel hassled

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 10:23 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
No problems at all here in SE MI, in my area anyway, around Ann Arbor. I haven't even been honked at in over a year. People pull practically into the opposite shoulder to pass me; I wonder if I should shower more often?
Old 07-23-08, 10:32 PM
goldfishin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
more the most part i would like to not jinx myself so i will not speak on this subject any further but to say that a few drivers can be dangerous and asinine.
Old 07-23-08, 10:43 PM
novas

Bikes: marin larkspur, gary fisher tassajara, Cannondale CAAD9, and RIP to my old steel clunker miyata road bike from the 80s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhop
I've been bike commuting for only 4 months or so, but I don't think i've ever been honked at... Most drivers here seem pretty courteous to bike riders (at least from my own experiences), which seems strange for L.A. I do admit I mostly stick to roads that have 2 lanes, so it's easy to pass, or roads that aren't as traffic heavy.
on my commute to/from work, i bike thru a not-so-great part of LA county (not awful, but not the best either,) and i've never had a problem. a couple people laugh at me and maybe one "maybe you should ride on the sidewalk!" tossed out a window, but that's about it. i've been pleasantly surprised since my move here last year. (from a much more seemingly-bike-friendly-but-in-reality-not-so-much ann arbor.)
Old 07-23-08, 11:51 PM
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it gets worse around the full moon, but I tend to have more whistles and cheers than threats and jeers.
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 07-23-08, 11:52 PM
ebrake
I wanna go fast!!!!!!!!!

Bikes: Soma Stanyan, RRB frame running fixed (RIP), Fuji Royale frame running 1x6(RIP), Nishiki fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding Chicago surface streets almost daily for a month now(hardly a blink of the eye for some of you veterans, I know) but I have not yet encountered any cagers with visibly disgruntled attitudes or actions. Almost every car that passes me hugs or crosses the yellow to give me ample space, occasionally when it is not even necessary for them to do so. In fact the other day, on the way to get some air for the tires, I had a van driver pulling out of a parking space in to gridlock traffic back up in to his space a little to let me pass by him and then he yells to me that my back tire was a little low. The only close calls I have encountered have been because of inattentive drivers or my own mistake of not making myself as visible in their mirrors as I should have been before attempting an passing maneuver, which I have undoubtedly learned from. So far it seems to me that Chicago drivers are quite courtesy towards bikers, at least on the Northside, as I have yet to need to venture in to the loop. The loop though, I can imagine may be a totally different story, driving a cage in rush hour loop traffic is hairy to say the least, as almost all traffic laws go out the window and it can be easily described as a free for all.
Old 07-24-08, 01:49 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
At least this thread wasn't 4 years old when it got resurrected!
Old 07-24-08, 01:55 AM
Paraphen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I get worse treatment by cars if I ride north into the suburbs than if I ride south into the city/airport/"less affluent" parts of town; I think people driving downtown are more in an "anything goes" mindset, because people a lot of the time just sort of drive as if there are no hard and fast rules to the road, just you, where you want to go and how well you can avoid everyone else doing whatever they can to get there. And they seem to react to a bike as just "there's something in my way, gotta get around it without dying. . .". I get passed close sometimes, but that's about it.

In the suburbs though, I get honks, yelling and behavior that generally seems to be anger-motivated, which I think stems more from people who are mad as hell that someone's obstructing their streets, even though from a logical standpoint, I'm causing less of a traffic obstruction than I do downtown.
Old 07-24-08, 03:53 AM
!on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah. but easy to get complacent. many drivers still talking on mobiles, or just not great drivers. also it's the roads. i get some roads with cycle lanes, except all they did was paint a line near the gutter, didn't even widen it. add to this the total defiance of people being told not to buy big 4x4's or SUV's because of green issues then you get lane hoggers who seem to think the bigger the vehicle the more priority they have on the road. you wouldn't argue with a bus or truck
Old 07-24-08, 05:38 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greenbreezer
I've had a half-filled Crystal Geyser water bottle thrown at me. Luckily they missed (I guess they were asleep during their physics class where it was explained if you throw an object from a moving vehicle at a moving target, your aim will be different. )
Did you take the water? (Why don't they have a little "thirsty-man" smiley here?)
Old 07-24-08, 05:46 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I don't have any problems and I ride in one of the most car centric places in the US (Phoenix metro area). I've never been yelled at, had agressive car behavior, cut off, etc. This is on main thoughofares as well as back streets. Sure cars come close, but I come close to them too, thats part of riding in traffic.

Also note that this area has very agressive drivers and when I am in a car I am very often cut off, rude gestures, etc.

I cycle on the roads, like a vehicle and obey traffic laws.

Al
Right there with ya', in Phoenix metro area. I've found that car/SUV drivers are incredibly abusive towards one another, but show deference to bicycles. It's the weirdest thing. The same drivers who would try to outrun me on the right on the shoulder if I was in a car will nod and smile to let me cross an intersection on a bike. I do always watch, though.
Old 07-24-08, 05:49 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
I personally don't have that many run-ins with drivers. I think one reason for that is that I have "mind like water" when it comes to riding on the road. All the time I see cyclists being infuriated by this or that action aggressive or inattentive drivers take: parking in a bike lane, right hooks, left hooks, pulling out of a driveway right in front of them...

The cyclists are obviously in the right in these situations, and have every right to be angry, but I just found that kind of attitude unproductive. So I don't take things personally any more. I actually make it into a game: try to guess the next crazy move that would put me in danger and have a plan for how to avoid it. When a crazy move gets pulled and I successfully evade it, I actually feel good about my game, and award myself some points.

... I just try to figure out the behavioural patterns, and tame them to the extent possible.

Obviously this kind of attitude doesn't always apply, but it can be useful in many situations.
That is a very good attitude to have.
Old 07-24-08, 05:57 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I get hassled maybe once or twice a year. I get the occasionnal driver that passes too close for my taste but that's about it.

Last year I was waiting for the green light in the middle of the straight-thru lane, left of the turn-right-only. When the light turned green the car behind passed me and the passenger said "you're not a car".

This year, a police told me I can't go through the train yard anymore. Not really hassled because there are signs but it just sucks. Earlier in the same train yard, a truck driver yelled "you're cycling, that's good!"

I get the impression drivers are more curious about cyclo-commuters due to gas price, like they wonder if we know something they don't.
Old 07-24-08, 06:01 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
At least this thread wasn't 4 years old when it got resurrected!
No, only three years and eight months. wtf people.
Old 07-24-08, 06:11 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
No, only three years and eight months. wtf people.
We're new, and we like it. If you're bored by the topics, why do you keep checking them out?
Old 07-24-08, 06:53 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jessica
I wonder, I read about many who have run ins with angry or inattentive cars regularly. I almost never have problems with cars. They zoom by, I ride on.

I suppose you could say I try to stay out of their way, but is it just attitude, or different behavior that keeps me feeling like things are okay on the road? Are there others who feel they have few problems??
Rub it in ... yeah?
Old 07-24-08, 07:13 AM
lil brown bat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by recumelectric
We're new, and we like it. If you're bored by the topics, why do you keep checking them out?
You're new, and you have nothing better to do than go through years worth of old threads and respond to questions or comments that people made years ago? As if they're still here to read it? Why?
Old 07-24-08, 07:16 AM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by erraticrider
I agree.

But what still puzzles me is when I am riding on a three lane road, like North Capital, staying in the right hand lane and some car comes up behind me and gives those gentle little toots as if trying to politely let me know that I should get out of the lane for him/her. Duh, there are two other lanes that the car could use.
I've gotten so that I figure they're just saying "I'm here" (not realizing that a Chevy Subdivision is pretty bleedin obvious), so I just wave them around.
Old 07-24-08, 07:19 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're new, and you have nothing better to do than go through years worth of old threads and respond to questions or comments that people made years ago?
Lots more to do. That's why I'm not digging up old threads and comparing them to what's posted now. If someone else digs up an old one, it's probably new to me, too.

As if they're still here to read it? Why?
Honestly. ...Why would someone who's old enough to have read it twice be reading it again?
Old 07-24-08, 07:22 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're new, and you have nothing better to do than go through years worth of old threads and respond to questions or comments that people made years ago? As if they're still here to read it? Why?
Dang, man! I just checked the date on the original post, and it is o l d. Once again, it was new to me, since I'm relatively new here. I'm too lazy to dig up anything that old, though.
Old 07-24-08, 07:26 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You are newer, and all you do is complain about the new people.
Old 07-24-08, 08:08 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I don't have any issues because I avoid streets with heavy traffic. Just the occasional run in with a bus or big truck on a narrow street, but that is over in a few seconds.
Old 07-24-08, 08:18 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not much different than starting a new thread on a subject that's been beaten to death. Besides, this is an open question about people's experience, not a "what-should-I-buy" that is quickly resolved.
Old 07-24-08, 08:27 AM
lil brown bat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Erick L
Not much different than starting a new thread on a subject that's been beaten to death. Besides, this is an open question about people's experience, not a "what-should-I-buy" that is quickly resolved.
I guess. It's just that I expect OP has long since moved on, so, y'know...giving him or her advice seems a bit silly.
Old 07-24-08, 08:43 AM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I don't actually get harrassed that much, I just have lots of drivers doing lots of stupid things and/or acting very impatient around me. Very little honking or yelling. However, my brother rides home from work at night, and he gets harrassed nearly every day. People here seem to become braver when you can't see their faces. I normally ride during daylight, but on the weekends when I ride at night, it's very likely I'll be harrassed. As long as they're not throwing things at me (although that's happened a few times), I don't let it bother me too much. I know that chances are they're poor and out of shape, and that's enough revenge for me.
Old 07-24-08, 08:55 AM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
perfect

Originally Posted by chephy
I personally don't have that many run-ins with drivers. I think one reason for that is that I have "mind like water" when it comes to riding on the road. All the time I see cyclists being infuriated by this or that action aggressive or inattentive drivers take: parking in a bike lane, right hooks, left hooks, pulling out of a driveway right in front of them...

The cyclists are obviously in the right in these situations, and have every right to be angry, but I just found that kind of attitude unproductive. So I don't take things personally any more. I actually make it into a game: try to guess the next crazy move that would put me in danger and have a plan for how to avoid it. When a crazy move gets pulled and I successfully evade it, I actually feel good about my game, and award myself some points.

In a sense, I completely dehumanize the drivers. I forget the drivers even exist. I ride in the city inhabited by huge beasts made of steel. They have ugly loud voices, they stink and they tend to run in packs. Or sometimes they just sit there in a long line and sniff each others tailpipes. I just try to figure out the behavioural patterns, and tame them to the extent possible.

Obviously this kind of attitude doesn't always apply, but it can be useful in many situations.
Love this response. I realize today reading this thread, that I do avoid some streets where the cagers are less tame. Sometimes even the "bike lane" labeled roads... if the cagers or the street hazards are unusually annoying, then I choose a different route, even if it is a little longer.

Not worth the sweat, you know?

And then I get to enjoy my ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.