Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

OnGuard U-Lock - Where to mount?!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 01:46 PM
d2create

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all, i picked up an OnGuard U-Lock and I'd really like to mount it on the bike using the mounting clip that came with it. But i doesn't fit anywhere on my Kona that i can see, especially with a water bottle cage mounted. Anyone else have this problem? I've just been carrying it in my bag but the darn thing weighs a ton!
Maybe i'll just have to get a cable lock instead...
Old 11-15-04, 02:04 PM
gorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate U-Lock mounts, they never fit right and sometimes get in the way. I have a front rack that I usually keep my U-Lock bungied down to.
Old 11-15-04, 02:16 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gorn
I hate U-Lock mounts, they never fit right and sometimes get in the way. I have a front rack that I usually keep my U-Lock bungied down to.
So i guess I couldn't interest you in a gently used u-lock, eh?
Old 11-15-04, 03:35 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by d2create
Hi all, i picked up an OnGuard U-Lock and I'd really like to mount it on the bike using the mounting clip that came with it. But i doesn't fit anywhere on my Kona that i can see, especially with a water bottle cage mounted. Anyone else have this problem? I've just been carrying it in my bag but the darn thing weighs a ton!
Maybe i'll just have to get a cable lock instead...
Just lock it to wherever you usually lock it to. I never take my ulock with me. (I don't really use it anyways, welcome bic-mobile).
Old 11-15-04, 04:03 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator
Just lock it to wherever you usually lock it to. I never take my ulock with me. (I don't really use it anyways, welcome bic-mobile).
nah, no can do. Don't lock it at the office, only on errands.
And it uses flat keys so it's bic proof.
I'll probably just sell it and get a coil lock.
Old 11-15-04, 04:15 PM
NutzCrazy

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Look Carbon, Scale 50, Murray Meteor Flyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about those things that clamp it to the seat post?
Old 11-15-04, 05:43 PM
Anthony King

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a picture of how my u-lock mounts. It's a combo u-lock, so it can't be picked w/ a bic, and the flare in straight rod because of the combo tumbler prevents me from using a seat mounted holder. The last time I was out of town I rented a bike and they had seat mounted u-locks, I think they are the best but like I said, they won't work with my lock. The holder I have can also mount the lock straight on so that it is on the same plane as the bike's frame, but I had to use the 90 degree option since I have a funky folder with no room inside the frame.
Old 11-16-04, 05:12 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I bunji mine on top of the rear rack.
Old 11-16-04, 06:33 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My Abus lock's holder mounts on the seat tube. When mounted, the lock's closed U-loop points backwards. The loop runs along the rear wheel, slightly angled outwards, but it does not interfere with panniers or pedal crank.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 11-16-04, 09:34 AM
elbows

Bikes: Masi Speciale Randonneur, Fuji del Ray, Co-Motion Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
U-lock mounts tend to suck anyway. I usually just carry mine in my trunk bag.
You can also bungie it to your rack. On some racks, you can slide it in vertically, between the outer rail of the rack and the flat bed portion -- the U part will slip through but the thicker straight part of the lock won't, and it hangs there. Then you can put a thick rubber band on the lock, and attach it to the hook on the bottom of your rack (where a pannier would bungie on). The rubber band keeps it from bouncing.

Does that make any sense? If not, maybe I can post a picture.
Old 11-16-04, 12:05 PM
repeatx3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post a pic please.
Old 11-16-04, 06:09 PM
bpave777

Bikes: Cyclocross, Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just carry my u lock in my back pocket. i have an OnGaurd mini. it fits easily in the back pocket of my Dickies, and it doesn't get in the way when i ride. it also lightens up my saddle bag significantly.

i recently took off my quick-release skewers and replaced them with these: https://redirx.com/?g2q0

so now a mini lock works fine for me. ideally i'd like to get some locking skewers. i believe kryptonite makes some.
Old 11-16-04, 06:17 PM
elbows

Bikes: Masi Speciale Randonneur, Fuji del Ray, Co-Motion Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repeatx3
Post a pic please.
Ok, here they are. Not the best pictures (it's dark in my basement), but hopefully you get the idea.
The only problem I have with this approach is that I tend to drop the rubber bands when I open the lock, and lose them. Without the rubber band, the lock stays put, but it makes a lot of noise.

Also, it may not work depending on the geometry of your rack and lock.
Old 11-17-04, 04:29 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you put anything metal in your back pocket, just remember that you will land on it in the event of a crash.
Old 11-17-04, 11:30 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
if you have a lock that has a thinner crossmember, just velcro it to your seatpost, and seat/chainstays. If you use velcro cable tie, the type that has the slot so it doesnt fall off the cable...use those, that way you dont lose your ties.
Old 11-17-04, 01:02 PM
blendingnoise
Ubermensch

Bikes: ye old centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My frame was too small to accept a bottle cage and u lock within the front triangle so I mounted it on the seattube with the U pointing back to the wheel. Within a day I had removed it though, as the thing rattles all over the place and (my mount was real cheap looking) it would occasionally clank against my seat stays if it was not angled far enough outwards away from the wheel.
Since then I just stick it in my bookbag. Cables are really not an option for me in the city.
Have you looked at the mini u locks that you can fit in your back pocket? They might be a lot better security than a cable while not taking up much room in your bag or on the frame.
Old 11-17-04, 01:23 PM
blackshadow

Bikes: Haro DHR & specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get yourself a a Magnum locks, the big ones is the best. U-locks are the lousiest there is on the market. it can be opened so eailly even a wimp can break it and... you are right, its a hazzle to fit it unto a frame!
Old 11-17-04, 02:05 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackshadow
get yourself a a Magnum locks, the big ones is the best. U-locks are the lousiest there is on the market. it can be opened so eailly even a wimp can break it and... you are right, its a hazzle to fit it unto a frame!
ummm... Magnum locks are made by OnGuard. OnGuard is the u-lock i mentioned in my first post.
Which Magnum lock are you speaking of that is supposed to be the best?
Old 11-18-04, 06:03 PM
bpave777

Bikes: Cyclocross, Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
If you put anything metal in your back pocket, just remember that you will land on it in the event of a crash.
ooh! good point Michael. i'll still take my chances, keeping in mind to aim for the other cheek.
Old 11-19-04, 10:31 AM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blendingnoise
My frame was too small to accept a bottle cage and u lock within the front triangle so I mounted it on the seattube with the U pointing back to the wheel. Within a day I had removed it though, as the thing rattles all over the place and (my mount was real cheap looking) it would occasionally clank against my seat stays if it was not angled far enough outwards away from the wheel.
Since then I just stick it in my bookbag. Cables are really not an option for me in the city.
Have you looked at the mini u locks that you can fit in your back pocket? They might be a lot better security than a cable while not taking up much room in your bag or on the frame.
I have two bikes that use the Kriptonite Bracket in a similar fashion. Great, except for the amount of vibrations it has on potholes (i.e. once every 50 m). An easy solution was to install a second bracket at the bottom of the seat tube. That way, the lock stays in place safely.
Old 11-19-04, 12:09 PM
jab
Ride more.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also got an OnGuard U-lock, and I had the same problem: it doesn't come close to fitting in my triangle.

I ended up mounting it on the seat tube, with the mount protruding out almost 90 degrees to the left. Then, I removed the clamp that is attached to the "U" part of the U-lock and rotated it 90 degrees. The end result is that the u-lock mounts such that the "U" part hangs vertically with the opening up, the locking bar is parallel to the top tube, and all of it is offset to the left of the bike center by 1.5" or so. It's just narrow enough that my left thigh doesn't brush against it as I pedal. The "U" extends forward of the seat tube enough that it touches my forward water bottle cage; I took advantage of this, keeping a small velcro tie-down on the cage to hold the U-lock steady. It all works pretty well.

You can see the mount on the seat tube along with the velcro tie-down in https://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...chmentid=19321 (from my "Total Geekiness" entry), but I don't have a picture handy which shows the lock mounted.

Finally, after I satisfied myself that the mounting was sufficient, I started leaving the lock at work.

Stay safe,
JAB
Old 11-29-04, 06:38 PM
Dman777

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, I got the same problem. Just got my mini brute lock today and I am really disappointed I can't mount it anywhere but on my seatpost, which would get in the way of my reflector. I'm thinking about getting my money back and just getting the beast chain lock and deal with the extra wieght. I might try velcro first to see if that would hold my ulock securly in the traingle of the bike frame.
Old 12-01-04, 04:15 PM
vradz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had this problem (either u-lock or bottle cage) and I (partially) solved it by getting a cage that does not fully close - ie leaves about 30% angle without any metal. This way if I"m going on a country ride, I take the bottle and leave the ulock home. If I ride around town, i don't bring the bottle cage and put the ulock inside the cage.