Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New York to Bolivia: Riding the Salt Flats

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 08:51 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Hey all,

Wanted to get some insight from you all for a trip I have in the works. I plan to fly from JFK to La Paz Bolivia to ride the Salt Flats. Since I don't have much time for an extended two weeks, this will be a 1-week trip. To my understanding, the salt flats have 2 routes to ride. One that can be done in a day and the other about two days or so. All I wanted to do was ride this location and camp overnight to shoot some photos. After I complete my bike trip we'll be hanging out in the city there until we leave. If anyone can shed some light on the Salt Flats, time to go (which I heard was August High Season) and the average cost for Bolivia in terms of dining and housing afterward. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-18, 04:32 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
A search of the site crazyguyonabike.com will bring you multiple accounts of others cycling the salt flats.

A few quick items to take into account for your planning:
- The elevation of the salt flats are ~12,000 ft and La Paz is just slightly higher. Everyone adjusts to elevation differently - but may be useful to include some time to adjust to altitude.
- Night temperatures can reach minus 10C to minus 15C (5F to 14F), along with some wind. It warms rapidly during the day and cools rapidly when the sun goes down. Not extreme, but do need to bring appropriate gear for cold camping.
- Bolivia requires visas for U.S. citizens. If this applies to you, look online for what is involved.

I cycled through Bolivia this past July/August. I cycled along the salt flats and took a guided (jeep) tour onto the flats on a rest day in Uyuni. It was an interesting place to visit and overall I enjoyed my travels. I was adjusted to altitude (previously reaching a high point of 14,800ft cycling in Peru). August is winter and good time to visit since much less precipitation than summer.

My least expensive lodging was 20 Bs ($3) but you will pay considerably more since to fit all this into just one week + have time left to adjust to altitude and spend time in La Paz afterwards, you'll likely need to take a bus and spend more of your time in Ororu, Uyuni and La Paz. Online sites like expedia or booking.com will give a rough idea of prices in these locations. You can find less expensive than that, but also a bit tougher at high season. It is ~350 miles one way from La Paz to Uyuni and slightly more going via the salt flats.

Last edited by mev; 01-16-18 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 08:03 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Listen to mev. Altitude and hypothermia are not to be under-estimated.

Originally Posted by biketocamp
Hey all,

Wanted to get some insight from you all for a trip I have in the works. I plan to fly from JFK to La Paz Bolivia to ride the Salt Flats. Since I don't have much time for an extended two weeks, this will be a 1-week trip. To my understanding, the salt flats have 2 routes to ride. One that can be done in a day and the other about two days or so. All I wanted to do was ride this location and camp overnight to shoot some photos. After I complete my bike trip we'll be hanging out in the city there until we leave. If anyone can shed some light on the Salt Flats, time to go (which I heard was August High Season) and the average cost for Bolivia in terms of dining and housing afterward. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-18, 08:43 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
arent you the dude whose friend lost his sleeping bag when it "rolled over a cliff" when setting up the tent, and then you guys lit some of your equipment on fire by accident with your camping stove?

don't know if I've mixed folks up, but that's what I remember.
Old 11-18-18, 08:26 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
arent you the dude whose friend lost his sleeping bag when it "rolled over a cliff" when setting up the tent, and then you guys lit some of your equipment on fire by accident with your camping stove?

don't know if I've mixed folks up, but that's what I remember.

Yeah that was us. That was when we were bikepacking Colombia last year.
Old 11-19-18, 03:14 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
well buenos suertes with the Bolivia thing if it happens.
Old 11-20-18, 06:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,532 Times in 7,328 Posts
Isn't this the OP's third thread on this topic in the last 6 months?