Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

16" Bike Recommendations

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

16" Bike Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 07:25 PM
price

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
16" Bike Recommendations

Hello. I am looking at the following four bikes to purchase for my son. Can anyone recommend any of them? I would like to hear your thoughts on each. Thanks.

1. Cleary Hedgehog
2. Frog 48
3. Prevelo Alpha Two
4. Pello Revo
Old 06-05-18, 08:17 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
They're all top-tier bikes and all recommended, but all different too. Cleary puts kids in a very aggressive position, which is neither good or bad. Prevelo has a very upright position, and Frog somewhere in between. Pello Revo uses a coaster brake, which I don't think is great for beginning riders, but that could come down to a personal preference. Unless you have specific requirements, any of these bikes would work. And just remember that they'll outgrow it in a year or two anyway, at which point you can re-assess based on their riding progress.
Old 06-07-18, 12:06 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I would not recommend the Hedgehog unless you live in a very hilly area or want to change out the rear cog. The stock gear ratio really limits the max speed on flat ground. We had one for only 9 months before we moved my son up to a 20" multi-gear bike. We tried a Frog 62 when my son was ready to move from a 20" to a 24", and were disappointed to find that it had a really high bottom bracket that prevented my son from finding a comfortable riding position (he really wanted the Union Jack pattern). I'm not sure if the 48 has that same issue. Have you looked at the Woom? It's only slightly more than the others you're looking at. We haven't tried the smaller Woom bikes, but we ultimately settled on a Woom 5 for my son's 24" bike and both of my kids love it. Also, this is a great site if you haven't already checked it out: https://www.twowheelingtots.com/ulti...ke-comparison/
Old 06-14-18, 12:37 PM
Piperflyer

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I would suggest woom. No cg plus they have a trade in deal when it’s time to move up to a larger size. They are also one of the lighter bikes out there for kids. Which helps in handling, picking it up if they tip over, lower cg, climbing hills?
Old 06-18-18, 09:41 AM
price

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightdiver
They're all top-tier bikes and all recommended, but all different too. Cleary puts kids in a very aggressive position, which is neither good or bad. Prevelo has a very upright position, and Frog somewhere in between. Pello Revo uses a coaster brake, which I don't think is great for beginning riders, but that could come down to a personal preference. Unless you have specific requirements, any of these bikes would work. And just remember that they'll outgrow it in a year or two anyway, at which point you can re-assess based on their riding progress.

Thank you. The Pello Revo now has a freewheel kit.
Old 06-18-18, 09:47 AM
price

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mel2012;20382187]I would not recommend the Hedgehog unless you live in a very hilly area or want to change out the rear cog. The stock gear ratio really limits the max speed on flat ground. We had one for only 9 months before we moved my son up to a 20" multi-gear bike. We tried a Frog 62 when my son was ready to move from a 20" to a 24", and were disappointed to find that it had a really high bottom bracket that prevented my son from finding a comfortable riding position (he really wanted the Union Jack pattern). I'm not sure if the 48 has that same issue. Have you looked at the Woom? It's only slightly more than the others you're looking at. We haven't tried the smaller Woom bikes, but we ultimately settled on a Woom 5 for my son's 24" bike and both of my kids love it. Also, this is a great site if you haven't already checked it out:

Thank you. Yeah, I saw that the Frog 52 and 62 have a very high bottom bracket but this is not the case with the 48. The Frog 48 has a low bottom bracket. My son has been riding the WOOM 2 for about two years now..he is way too big for it now. It was a great first bike but I find and notice that the upright position does not serve him now. He has problems leaning into turns and other issues because of the upright position. Starting from the WOOM 4 the bikes become more "normal aggressive" riding position but the WOOM 3 is still too upright.
Old 06-18-18, 09:50 AM
price

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Piperflyer
I would suggest woom. No cg plus they have a trade in deal when it’s time to move up to a larger size. They are also one of the lighter bikes out there for kids. Which helps in handling, picking it up if they tip over, lower cg, climbing hills?

Thank you. My son has been riding the WOOM 2 for about two years now..he is way too big for it now. It was a great first bike but I find and notice that the upright position does not serve him now. He has problems leaning into turns and other issues because of the upright position. His weight is a little too much on the center.