Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Transportation Biking for Obesity

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Transportation Biking for Obesity

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 10:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155

it showed up correctly on my computer and if I turned the phone on it’s side. Thanks for cleaning it up.
That is OK. It may help a critical thinker read what is posted rather than whatever he "understands", thinks or fabricates to exist anywhere but in an alternate reality of his own making.
Old 07-17-18, 11:43 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Look TP. I will make one last effort to make my objection to your assertion that the “Spirit” of LCF will get people walking and riding more. You might have a point if you had added if people had “your” definition of LCF they would embrace what you have been posting.

It's not about definitions or what 'people' already understand or don't understand. It is about clarifying how LCF can cause people to lead more active lives as part of their daily routines, and how it can distract them from the urge to snack and comfort-eat by filling their time with pedaling/walking that channels nervous energy into transportation motion.

If 'people' (such as yourself, apparently) insist on denying this model of LCF in favor of minimizing physical activity by maximizing transit use, ride-sharing, etc. then they will still be doing good for the environment by reducing the number of motor-vehicles and the demand for pavement, but they're not going to get the health benefits, at least not until they start walking the long way from the bus stop and/or getting out of the bus a few stops early and walking the rest of the way instead. This is still an easier choice with transit than with a car, because with the car you have to walk back to wherever you park, whereas with transit you can always choose a different stop later regardless of where you get out.

When I first started posting here my idea of car free was someone that never used a car for anything. I was corrected over several threads to learn a consensus was more or less agreed upon the car free was not owing a car or having one in the household that a person had ready access of.
I still don't see why you focus on including/excluding people from LCF as a status, except to discourage LCF. To me LCF is an ideal that people aspire to and pursue, regardless of how far they get with it. Even if someone just sees the problems of mass-automotivism instead of whitewashing it to justify their own choice to drive, they have made it further than someone who's still busy defending driving because it's part of their egos that feels threatened when it is criticized or transcended by certain people's choices.

i was also instructed that you didn’t have to ride a bicycle to be car free. The car free life included walking, working from home and mass transit including large and small buses, trains, Uber and Taxi.
Well, that's obvious isn't it? Otherwise you would call it LBB (living by bicycle).

It didn’t matter what I thought the spirit of car free was it only mattered that people that used Those listed forms of commuting and getting around as car free.
I think you get too hung up in establishing and debating definitions. It seems to be in your fight/debate-seeking nature to do this.

Therrfore people working from home or taking a bus every day are car free and have embraced the “spirit” of being car free. Therefore I contend that transit riders, Uber riders, commuter train riders and people working from home are no more or no less likely to exercise and watch their diet than someone that is not car free. They also make up the majority of car free people. I have seen no evidence in your reasoning to suggest otherwise.
In an environmental/economic sense, there is a spirit of living car free that has nothing to do with exercise, fitness, and health. It's the same as the spirit of Christmas. Part of the spirit of Christmas is giving and receiving gifts, and children love that part of it and adults relate to each other in various ways with gift giving/reception. But then there's another spirit of Christmas that is about religion and everything that goes along with that. These two different spirits of Christmas aren't in competition with each other, nor are they totally separate from each other, but different people experience them as separate to differing degrees. So it is the same with LCF. You overcomplicate discussions by (ab)using differences in culture and perception to achieve debate objectives that push what you want to push, which seems to be acceptance of car-culture and marginalization and ridicule of LCF in every possible way. Why no one seems considers this trolling of the LCF forum I don't understand.
Old 07-17-18, 02:07 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Well I gave it a shot. Now LCF is a bit like Christmas and people see the “Spirit” of LCF that they need to embrace for exercise differently. It is hard to hit a moving target with logic and reason. I am willing to admit This subject is hopeless.
Old 07-17-18, 04:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
No, I knew nothing about any car accident. I'm Sorry to hear it.

This is a given, but when people say it in an LCF forum, it seems like a defense of driving over LCF. I really don't understand why this idea of competition between LCF and driving is constantly coming up here. The fact is that if you LCF or aspire to do so, you already see the benefits, and if you don't, you don't and you are likely biased against it because you have assented to the automotive-consumerist paradigm that has been culturally normalized.

So why is there always vying for validity for automotive lifestyles on an LCF forum? Is it that defenders of car culture are drawn here because they see an opportunity to attack people are are interested in transcending driving-dependency?
There was no car accident.

And you are the one starting all the threads about cars in here.

Why not talk about cycling for a change?
Old 07-17-18, 05:12 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
There was no car accident.
Yes, I have read the whole thread about it now. Great to hear the recovery and healing process is going so well.

And you are the one starting all the threads about cars in here.

Why not talk about cycling for a change?
The pattern I've noticed in most threads is that if I say something positive about LCF, certain posters jump in and debate me about it. These are posters that rarely if ever have anything positive to say about LCF and they basically just want to undermine positive thoughts and beliefs on it in every way possible.
Old 07-18-18, 08:22 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
The pattern I've noticed in most threads is that if I say something positive about LCF, certain posters jump in and debate me about it. These are posters that rarely if ever have anything positive to say about LCF and they basically just want to undermine positive thoughts and beliefs on it in every way possible.
Maybe that wouldn't happen if you lived in the real world and not this alternate reality of rainbows and unicorns. You bring it all upon yourself.

Just sayin'
Old 07-18-18, 08:27 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Bullies always blame their victims, it's standard operating procedure. And they absolutely hate it when you fight back.
Old 07-18-18, 09:50 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
MOD NOTE to ALL: Let's stay "On Topic"

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-18-18, 12:22 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
MOD NOTE to ALL: Let's stay "On Topic"
I'm not even sure if post #1 is on topic as far as LCF is concerned.
Old 07-19-18, 10:14 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I'm not even sure if post #1 is on topic as far as LCF is concerned.
You are welcome not to post in this thread if it doesn't suit you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-23-18, 01:44 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
TL;DR the dozens of replies.

Having said that, I've been car-free for 6-1/2 years (I used to rent a car for a day, once a year, for heavy/bulky purchases, but haven't done so for 2-1/2 years), and all my riding is for tran|sport. For me, over-and-above the functional aspects of grocery shopping, public library, liquor store, etc., it's about exercise and burning calories. According to a sufficiently-sophisticated bicycle calorie calculator, and given my age, height, and weight, if I average 10-12mph for 1:30-2:00, I'll burn 1,000 kcal. After that, it's about balancing Calories-In with Calories-Out (I am/ride-on a/the "CI-CO path", aka public roads). Yes, I log what I eat (weigh it and compute caloric load using the USDA Food Composition Database). It's not so difficult to limit my eating to between 1,400-1,800 kcal/day, and the caloric deficit accumulates. Nothing earth-shattering about it, nothing overly difficult about doing it. But I'm 66, retired, and live the bulk of my life as a relatively-happy recluse, enjoying reading, cooking, and straight-razor shaving, so it's undoubtedly different/more-complex for workin' folk.
Old 09-23-18, 05:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I transport bike and my obesity is fine and strong,. it works.
Old 09-24-18, 11:40 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Santa Claus is alive and unwell here by Interstate 84 at the lovely Idaho border.