Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on these panniers? For grocery weekly use only.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 06:22 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts

What do you guys think? Will they be sufficient for that purpose? I will not be commuting with them on daily basis. Only for runs to the grocery store.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Old 08-22-18, 08:04 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I don't see why not. With the price being what it is, what have you got to lose? I think I'd ensure the bottom of whatever grocery carrying thing I settled on would be rigid so that the bread doesn't get smashed by the beer that is smashing the bannanas.

I suppose the better question is "Will this have enough room for my groceries?" IME panniers tend to be limited in volume for utilitarian use. I thnk I'd go for a large basket (Wall) if I wanted more than a full paper-bags worth of groceries.

You could go super cheap and fashion a high sided box or milk crate and zip-tie or p-clamp it to the rack. Just drop the bag in the milk crate & go. Simple, but not good at keeping groceries dry. I think Walzmart has milk crates for about $7
Old 08-22-18, 01:47 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I like Ortliebs after living Germany for a few years. However, in a dense urban area, I really like a backpack now. It's supernarrow here and the panniers aren't so good
Old 08-22-18, 02:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Do these lift off easily? That is a feature I love about the Ortleibs. I can toss them into my shopping cart, have the checker put the scanned items in the cart, then find a quiet spot to load the bags carefully for my 9 mile ride home, return the cart and drop the panniers onto the rack and ride home. Carry them into the kitchen and set them on the counter to load the fridge. If there are any spills inside a pannier, I wash it like a pot, then hang upside down in the laundry area.

Next question - how long will you be doing this? 5 years? Ortleibs will never pay for themselves. 10 years? They start looking competitive. 20 years? They'll still be going with about $50 invested in new hardware. (My 1999 panniers are doing just fine. The 2008 ones look a lot nicer but work the same. I now use both pairs for farmers market runs. Put the greens and soft produce in back for less jarring.)

Ben
Old 08-22-18, 02:24 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Do these lift off easily? That is a feature I love about the Ortleibs. I can toss them into my shopping cart, have the checker put the scanned items in the cart, then find a quiet spot to load the bags carefully for my 9 mile ride home, return the cart and drop the panniers onto the rack and ride home. Carry them into the kitchen and set them on the counter to load the fridge. If there are any spills inside a pannier, I wash it like a pot, then hang upside down in the laundry area.

Next question - how long will you be doing this? 5 years? Ortleibs will never pay for themselves. 10 years? They start looking competitive. 20 years? They'll still be going with about $50 invested in new hardware. (My 1999 panniers are doing just fine. The 2008 ones look a lot nicer but work the same. I now use both pairs for farmers market runs. Put the greens and soft produce in back for less jarring.)

Ben
I've always bough good gear, even when I was a broke ass student for 11 years.

Now, I have a lot of disposable income and feel the same way, good stuff costs good money and lasts forever. One just has to use it up!
Old 08-23-18, 06:25 AM
crazyravr

I bought them to try. For $40 cant really go wrong and if anything I will just send them back.
Old 08-26-18, 04:59 PM
Bahnzo

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Passage, 2006 Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazyravr
I bought them to try. For $40 cant really go wrong and if anything I will just send them back.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I actually had a pair of these, and wouldn't recommend them. They wound up tearing quite easily. I mean when you think of all the hooks and ends and whatnot on your bike, even when you are careful you wind up snagging or scrapping your bags.

I wound up buying some Banjo Brothers bags, which were x2 the price, but I've had them for 5+ years now and I use them constantly. Some products are cheap and work well, the MWave bags were not in that category for me.
Old 08-27-18, 08:08 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I have found over the years that rigid boxes/baskets are better than flexible panniers. They hold their opening and shape. No need to open and close for loading and unloading. And easier to secure odd objects.
Old 08-27-18, 10:33 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I don't see why not. With the price being what it is, what have you got to lose? I think I'd ensure the bottom of whatever grocery carrying thing I settled on would be rigid so that the bread doesn't get smashed by the beer that is smashing the bannanas.
The problem with the cheap stuff is that it breaks and you're left with no money and also nothing useable.

I suppose the better question is "Will this have enough room for my groceries?" IME panniers tend to be limited in volume for utilitarian use. I thnk I'd go for a large basket (Wall) if I wanted more than a full paper-bags worth of groceries.
The Banjo Brothers market pannier was the best/biggest pannier I could find for groceries when I was shopping for a grocery pannier. It was a hard requirement that my grocery pannier could fit a frozen pizza in it and it was the only one big enough to fit it that also had a top cover to ensure nothing would bounce out of the bag on the way home.
https://www.amazon.com/Banjo-Brother...dp/B003D4GS74/

It looks like the OP is in canada, the price is weird though because it's $50US in the US, but a lot more expensive at $100CAD on the canada site:
https://www.amazon.ca/Banjo-Brothers...dp/B003D4GS74/

You could go super cheap and fashion a high sided box or milk crate and zip-tie or p-clamp it to the rack. Just drop the bag in the milk crate & go. Simple, but not good at keeping groceries dry. I think Walzmart has milk crates for about $7
Good suggestions, another one if I wanted to go cheap would be folding rear bicycle basket (Wald 582 Folding Rear Bicycle Basket):
https://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-...dp/B0012DVQVQ/

Old 08-27-18, 10:50 AM
crazyravr

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
The problem with the cheap stuff is that it breaks and you're left with no money and also nothing useable.

Good suggestions, another one if I wanted to go cheap would be folding rear bicycle basket (Wald 582 Folding Rear Bicycle Basket):
https://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-...dp/B0012DVQVQ/
Welcome to Canada, enjoy the pricing

These folding baskets would fit the bill for groceries for sure, but how do you easily attach and remove them? Also, dont they hit your rack and scratch it etc?

Last edited by crazyravr; 08-27-18 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 01:28 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
I bought those panniers (or maybe a previous version, looks pretty much the same). Not long after putting them on, I had a back corner get caught in a spoke, causing an unexpected skid. Too scary for me, so I never used them again, and sold them on craigslist for probably $20.

However, there's every chance it was my fault for improper setup, I was a newb back then. Either way I recommend you be careful and ensure they can't swing into your spokes.
Old 08-28-18, 02:37 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Love panniers, have at least 4 sets (ortlieb, thule, bit of arkel, timbuk2, axiom) ... but if the ONLY time you need the storage is shopping ... I'd go with baskets or a Burley Travoy.

Of course, for bigger shopping trips, I have panniers front and back, as well as a cargo trailer. Costco runs fill 'em all...

Baskets can be quite cheap and still be effective. A bit small, and the provided hw needs to be supplemented with bungies:
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/xl...ng=s~basket%2F but at $8 each, worth considering (especially if you don't care about your rack's paint job).

Last edited by Khb; 08-28-18 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 02:41 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Welcome to Canada, enjoy the pricing

These folding baskets would fit the bill for groceries for sure, but how do you easily attach and remove them? Also, dont they hit your rack and scratch it etc?
I think they're meant to be installed permanently on the bike, but they fold flat when you're not using them.
Old 08-28-18, 03:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yeah, if you're on a budget, get the baskets. And they're more versatile than panniers. You can drop any bag in the basket, especially a bag that is easy to carry. Panniers are not pleasant to carry.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-28-18, 06:36 PM
crazyravr

What do you guys think? Will they be sufficient for that purpose? I will not be commuting with them on daily basis. Only for runs to the grocery store.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1

And so they came in. So far I am pretty impressed. The quality is not what I was expecting for this little $$$$. I put them together and they are. They attach with straps and buckles. If anything goes wrong will be easy to replace or upgrade / improve on. They are not water proof but will be rain proof for sure if I add couple Velcro strips to the top. The real test will be when I go shopping andc actually carry stuff.
And here are some pics.

On the bike. Notice the reflecting strips.

From the top.

From the buttom. This is how they attach.
Old 09-06-18, 08:44 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Totally would suggest foldable baskets as pictured above. I used them for a few years and they were awesome. Carries a gallon of milk plus some, a large pkg of toilet paper, etc. Then u fold them up when not in use.
Old 09-12-18, 02:43 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
How has your experience been with these panniers? I have a set like them but don't use them much because they are a hassle to remove. I will say if I left them permanently in place, they would be pretty good. Lots of capacity!
Old 09-12-18, 06:22 AM
crazyravr

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
How has your experience been with these panniers? I have a set like them but don't use them much because they are a hassle to remove. I will say if I left them permanently in place, they would be pretty good. Lots of capacity!
Use them weekly or whenever I need to bring home some groceries. Very simple and quick on and off with the velcro. Once loaded they dont budge. I would not want them on the bike all the time, just way to large. They have these rigid inserts that make them spread out and are not meant to be removed once installed. They are great for what they are, a grocery hauler.