Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been buzzed by a car while on tour?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Have you ever been buzzed by a car while on tour?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 01:26 PM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funniest story I've heard along these lines:

It is surprising how much late-night bicycle riding as a pastime has taken off here in San Antonio. This story heard from a Cop who was there.

After their shift was over a group of downtown bicycle Cops would get together regularly after work, switch to their civvies and unwind with a ten mile loop around downtown, starting about 12:30am. On this particular night there were four of them. Car with two thugs inside makes a close pass while throwing a drink of some kind, causing lead cyclist to wreck. Loud words are exchanged. Car turns around, hard core thug on passenger side steps out of car and asks if they wanted a piece of him. Turns out they did
Old 11-14-18, 07:04 PM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Not a recommended response to being buzzed, and I suspect this is probably fake, but still amusing, especially if you're a little twisted like me

Old 11-14-18, 07:13 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by CreakingCrank
Not to single you out JoeyBike, but to all who have turned this thread into an anti-driver, anti-car rant ... and to those who have not-so elegantly bashed those rants.

The thread isn't about the inevitable close encounter or the occasional bad-apple driver that we all encounter somewhat routinely. We all consciously accept those risks when we pedal out into the streets. Its also not about whining about such incidents.

The thread is about a driver purposely using their vehicle as a deadly weapon to hit or intimidate a rider. The concept of "intention" is paramount to the thread's topic, one which some have failed to comprehend. I've always thought such purposeful actions were quite rare (and still do). When it happened to me, it made me wonder how rare. For those who have chosen to piss all over the thread, I can only assume it has not happened to you or you would have shared your story. Thanks to those who did share.
Yowza, Creakin! Thems is some angry words!

I'm not sure which category I fall into because my post was simply about being "buzzed by a car while on tour," as you asked. Despite a remark or two I made about the driver "terrorizing" people on the road, I ultimately admitted that I'm not even sure what he did to me was intentional. I didn't realize you were looking only for stories of buzzings that were intentional.

I guess it's pretty obvious when someone takes a swipe at you on purpose. Despite my near-death engagement with that pickup truck in Rhode Island, I guess I can't claim to be the type of victim you were hoping to attract with this thread.
Old 11-15-18, 05:07 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by hfbill
Not a recommended response to being buzzed, and I suspect this is probably fake, but still amusing, especially if you're a little twisted like me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVho5SnRSIw
That may be the best vid I have seen this year, and I have seen some great ones. Staged no doubt - but hilarious. All the cyclist needs is a better way to light the danged things. I had Estes rocket kits as a youth and you could light them with the push of a button using a shorted 9V battery (basically) and a special "ignitor" that had some blue material on a wire that would easily catch fire when shorted out.

Home made ignitors, for you pyrotechnics freaks. I'm too old for this stuff. Can't use youth as an excuse anymore.

Old 11-16-18, 07:10 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharpshin
Funniest story I've heard along these lines:

It is surprising how much late-night bicycle riding as a pastime has taken off here in San Antonio. This story heard from a Cop who was there.

After their shift was over a group of downtown bicycle Cops would get together regularly after work, switch to their civvies and unwind with a ten mile loop around downtown, starting about 12:30am. On this particular night there were four of them. Car with two thugs inside makes a close pass while throwing a drink of some kind, causing lead cyclist to wreck. Loud words are exchanged. Car turns around, hard core thug on passenger side steps out of car and asks if they wanted a piece of him. Turns out they did
Good one!