Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes or rim brakes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Disc brakes or rim brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 10:23 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
All the Shimanos I've tried have been ok but lack any kind of ability to handle cold weather and they're not the best of the best.
My Shimano hydros are used far more in the winter than the summer, not much of a difference to be noticed. No problems under 0F/-18C.

Originally Posted by alan s
So you would use canti brakes interchangeably with 8” rotor hydraulic disc brakes for mountain biking in the rain? Must get a lot of comments from the kids on the trail. Like using wooden skis.
By that logic, shouldn't touring bikes be full suspension too? After all, I'd never MTB down a muddy singletrack with no suspension.
Old 11-13-18, 10:39 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I’m sure you’ll get down the mountain just fine on your wooden skis. There’s better stuff available, but use what you have.
Old 11-13-18, 02:08 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
... Frankly, I chalk a lot of the "disc brakes are so much better" to the way that they are set up. Most people's experience with rim brakes are with them set up to engage at about 1/2 lever pull. ....
That raises a good point, most people can't true up a wheel and even if the wheel is only slightly out of true they need a lot more gap to avoid brake rub.

I never think of that since if my wheel is slightly off, a quick adjustment to a couple spokes and the brake rub is gone. Of all the people I ride with, only one other rider can true up a wheel, and that is because I told him how to do it.
Old 11-13-18, 02:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
I’m sure you’ll get down the mountain just fine on your wooden skis. There’s better stuff available, but use what you have.
To use the analogy of wooden skis, the only skis I've ever been able to do a linked telemark turn on were wooden skis. The double camber plastic skis I have are just too stiff to push down into the snow.

But, I'm not just a "wood ski" bicycle rider. As I've said above, I have bikes with every type of modern brake on them. Not a single one performs so much better than the other types that I would abandon one over the other. There are lots of things on bicycles that I will (and have) adopted because the new technology is superior to the old technology. Threadless headsets, free hubs, external bottom brackets, index shifting, clipless pedals and front suspension are examples of things I have adopted and enthusiastically use. They provide great improvements over the old technology and are worth abandoning the old stuff for.

Hub mounted disc brakes fall into the category of 29er wheels, XD drives, 12 speed cassettes and tubeless. They are a solution seeking a problem that really doesn't exist.

Edit: And, need I point out, this is the Touring Forum where people are notoriously in the "wooden ski" camp when it comes to bicycles. Tell someone that you tour on aluminum and be amazed by the virtual looks of horror you get.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 11-13-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 12:08 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Edikz
DIscs w/o a doubt better in the wet. After a near accident I would never get a bike w/o disc brakes.
I've had some close calls too , IMO the added wet-weather safety & confidence of discs is well worth the minimal price.
Old 11-14-18, 06:15 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
The limit the limit on bicycle brake performance is available braking traction. Most any braking system will lock either wheel. On a 90 year old coaster brake I can lock the rear wheel.

Consulting old reference works from the 50s, 60s, and 70s all testing showed that bicycles would achieve braking force of 0.5g to 0.6g. For comparison a current production high end Porsche will get slightly over 1.0g. Ordinary sedans can get 0.7g to 0.8g. For the automotive tests we are talking about fully prepped vehicles on a skid pad with professional drivers. In ordinary usage autos do not achieve numbers that high and few drivers would attempt to reach braking that severe. For the bicycle braking tests it was most any available bike and most any available rider. Bike testing was not done with accelerometers, it was done by measuring stopping distances and working backwards, giving an average deceleration over the complete stop rather than an instantaneous measure. The notion that bikes have bad or weak brakes is nonsense. The notion that bikes do not belong in traffic because they don’t stop well is wrong.

Bicycle disc brakes are not more powerful than rim brakes. They do feel different. If you like the disc feel that is a good enough reason to use them. Claiming they are more powerful mostly means someone read and believed advertising.

If you want improved braking performance pay attention to braking traction. That means choosing tires suited for the surfaces you ride on. Pay attention to inflation pressure. Pay attention to your center of gravity and keep weight on both wheels. Stiff tires, over inflated tires, narrow tires will limit your ability to stop. These are all things that are up to the rider. Imagining you can solve problems by buying something rather than doing something will get you into trouble.
Old 11-14-18, 09:06 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by 63rickert
The limit the limit on bicycle brake performance is available braking traction. Most any braking system will lock either wheel. On a 90 year old coaster brake I can lock the rear wheel.

I agree with most of what you've said with some quibbles.

First, the limit on bicycle (well, any brake) performance is the available tire traction. If you overcome the available tire to road friction, the tire will slide.

You can lock the wheel on a coaster brake because braking transfers weight forward and unloads the rear wheel. With only a rear brake, you quickly lift the rear wheel to the point where it locks and starts to slide.

Consulting old reference works from the 50s, 60s, and 70s all testing showed that bicycles would achieve braking force of 0.5g to 0.6g. For comparison a current production high end Porsche will get slightly over 1.0g. Ordinary sedans can get 0.7g to 0.8g. For the automotive tests we are talking about fully prepped vehicles on a skid pad with professional drivers. In ordinary usage autos do not achieve numbers that high and few drivers would attempt to reach braking that severe. For the bicycle braking tests it was most any available bike and most any available rider. Bike testing was not done with accelerometers, it was done by measuring stopping distances and working backwards, giving an average deceleration over the complete stop rather than an instantaneous measure. The notion that bikes have bad or weak brakes is nonsense. The notion that bikes do not belong in traffic because they don’t stop well is wrong.
Mostly correct with one caveat. Bicycles are limited in the amount of deceleration that they can achieve by the friction on the front tire. Bicycles are completely unable to overcome the friction on the front wheel so that they can skid the front wheel. Before the front wheel can lock, the rider will be thrown over the bars.

Bicycle disc brakes are not more powerful than rim brakes. They do feel different. If you like the disc feel that is a good enough reason to use them. Claiming they are more powerful mostly means someone read and believed advertising.
I fully agree which is why I find disc brakes mostly irrelevant.

If you want improved braking performance pay attention to braking traction. That means choosing tires suited for the surfaces you ride on. Pay attention to inflation pressure. Pay attention to your center of gravity and keep weight on both wheels. Stiff tires, over inflated tires, narrow tires will limit your ability to stop. These are all things that are up to the rider. Imagining you can solve problems by buying something rather than doing something will get you into trouble.
I don't think that the materials of construction are going to make that much of a difference when it comes to braking ability. Nor will inflation pressure have much of an effect. They may make small differences but those are going to be almost unnoticeable.

I would agree that you should pay attention to the center of gravity but saying "keep weight on both wheels" is somewhat misleading. The front wheel is always going to be loaded no matter where you position your CG. The rear load is going to be very dependent on where the CG is. A rider in a "normal" seated position can develop about 0.5g. If the rider moves their center of gravity down and back, they can increase the deceleration to about 0.9g. The reason that there is a limit is that you can only move your CG back and down so far. Moving the CG back 4" or so and down 2" or so will result in that large increase in deceleration.

Rather than trying to keep weight on both wheels, shift more weight over the rear wheel. It will let you stop faster and reduce the possibility of going over the bars. As I've said above, know how to use your brakes is more important than what kind of brake you have.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-14-18, 09:18 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
One thing missing is comparing wet/dirty rubber brake pads on a wet/dirty rim vs. dry/clean brake pads on a dry/clean rotor. Disc brakes excel at stopping in adverse conditions, which is when they are most needed. If you want real world comparisons, there is a link to a video posted earlier in this thread.
Old 11-14-18, 09:19 AM
jefnvk

Consulting old reference works from the 50s, 60s, and 70s all testing showed that bicycles would achieve braking force of 0.5g to 0.6g. For comparison a current production high end Porsche will get slightly over 1.0g. Ordinary sedans can get 0.7g to 0.8g. For the automotive tests we are talking about fully prepped vehicles on a skid pad with professional drivers. In ordinary usage autos do not achieve numbers that high and few drivers would attempt to reach braking that severe.
Go stomp on your brakes hard enough to get into ABS on dry clean pavement, that is generally in the 0.8g range (right before ABS kicks in) on most modern cars. Hit the brakes hard enough that the contents of your passenger seat end up on the floor, you are probably above 0.5g. Plenty easy for an average drive to hit, although you are correct in that most braking is closer to the 0.2g range. 1g on a bike would be ridiculous, and most people aren't going fast enough to even hit that level of deceleration (you are losing about 35kph of speed per second at 1g). My calibrated body tells me I doubt if I've ever hit a 0.5g decel on a bike.

And no, there is no special preparation of the vehicle to hit those numbers.

-Professional driver with a closed course and accelerometers

Last edited by jefnvk; 11-14-18 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-14-18, 09:24 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
as cycco brought up, its all about tire traction, knowing how to get to that point of loss of traction with the front tire, and also of positioning body weight and all that.
Ive locked up front tires in the dry and the wet, on clean pavement, on dirt or sandy pavement, on plain old dirt, on mud, sand, you name it.
On motorcycles, bicycles alike,
Good chances you're going to go down fast, but Ive had lucky saves, but on loose surfaces or wet surfaces, if you have any lean angle chances are you're usually smacking the pavement.

so all the talk about disc in rain, yes its all fine and good that they react faster than rim brakes to a point, and yes they are stronger , especially when touring with the extra weight, but all that wont help you if you dont have a feel for traction for the front wheel and lock the front and go down.
I reckon that most folks dont ever brake really really hard, certainly not with the front brake, and so dont develop the techniques and feel for max braking for a given surface/tire condition.

I also reckon that a lot of folks would stop longer than others no matter the braking system they have, especially in the wet where a slight overbraking with the front means a very fast losing of the front and hip meeting asphalt.

I know this is all pedantic back and forthing, and while for loaded touring I really like discs, mech ones in my case, I still say that rim brakes still work and can still put your arse on the ground pretty fast with a bit too much braking that goes past the tire/surface traction you have at that moment (but they will wear out rims over time, that time depending on the riding conditions.....)
Old 11-14-18, 10:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Go stomp on your brakes hard enough to get into ABS on dry clean pavement, that is generally in the 0.8g range (right before ABS kicks in) on most modern cars. Hit the brakes hard enough that the contents of your passenger seat end up on the floor, you are probably above 0.5g. Plenty easy for an average drive to hit, although you are correct in that most braking is closer to the 0.2g range. 1g on a bike would be ridiculous, and most people aren't going fast enough to even hit that level of deceleration (you are losing about 35kph of speed per second at 1g). My calibrated body tells me I doubt if I've ever hit a 0.5g decel on a bike.

And no, there is no special preparation of the vehicle to hit those numbers.

-Professional driver with a closed course and accelerometers
You go over the handlebars if you try it. Ask me how I know. But, the car driver that almost got me didn't, so it was worth going over the handlebars. Missed me by inches. V brake with Koolstop Salmon on the front was enough to launch me in dry conditions.

I would guess that about a 0.4 to 0.5g deceleration is where your rear wheel lifts off the ground with an unladen touring bike with drop bars. But I have not studied bike geometry well enough to have an accurate guess on exactly where the center of gravity is.
Old 11-14-18, 10:58 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I would guess that about a 0.4 to 0.5g deceleration is where your rear wheel lifts off the ground with an unladen touring bike with drop bars. But I have not studied bike geometry well enough to have an accurate guess on exactly where the center of gravity is.
Sounds like I need to borrow some instrumentation over the weekend and do some experimenting
Old 11-14-18, 01:59 PM
djb

You go over the handlebars if you try it. Ask me how I know. But, the car driver that almost got me didn't, so it was worth going over the handlebars. Missed me by inches. V brake with Koolstop Salmon on the front was enough to launch me in dry conditions.

Ive done a launch with v brakes and salmons also. Obviously didnt get my body back fast enough , situation was me being stupid and trying to get through a light that was changing. On a mtb with knobbies but on dry pavement.

this topic every time makes me remember as a kid with friends, doing "max brake tests" and trying to get the rear wheel up, and or making a line and seeing who could stop shortest at x speed. Learned fairly quickly how to position ones body rearward to counter the rear lifting, allowing more hauling on the front brake.
Did the same with friends with motorcycles, make a line and throw out the anchors at 50 or 70 or 100kph, and see who wins shortest distance.

re bikes, sure on an unloaded bike you have to deal with possible launchings and lockups and the rear stepping out, or the front doing weird stuff.
On a loaded bike though, launchings just aint gonna happen, but you can still lock up front or back depending on the traction, the rear easily in good conditions.

jef, thats right, maybe you have some friends with those little black boxes that record g readings and stuff. I remember when they became affordable and car guys could see how suspension and tire stuff made a diff.

but again, all this blah blah, yet I really appreciated my mech discs for being able to quickly slow down my heavy ass touring bike in mountains with so much less finger pressure than my canti bikes.
Old 11-14-18, 04:20 PM
63rickert

Good Lord. I provoked a discussion on technique as well as equipment. More than I could have hoped for.

As for going over the handlebars there is a good discussion on that in Whitt and Wilson, Bicycling Science(MIT,1982). Basically it will not and does not occur if your center of gravity is where it should be on a bicycle. Only way to make it happen is to be seated entirely wrong. Or to run into something. If you smack a high curb head on, or a log on the trail or something like that of course you go over.

Which brings me to something for the OP. What kind of touring are we doing? If it is kitchen sink touring with 50 or 100 pounds of impedimenta, just get a longtail. It will come with discs and there you are. Even when decelerating downhill there will be enough weight over the rear that you have two functional brakes instead of just the one. The extended wheelbase will give back a lot of the comfort that went away with a fork strong enough to survive a disc. Braking will be better because you are more stable. Long tails generally come with fairly wide tires. The big ones will brake better, keep the bike steadier, last longer, create more comfort. And when heavily laden they are probably faster than overloaded skinnies.

One more about bike parts. Mafac introduced their centerpull caliper brake in 1951. Versions of that brake are still being produced and sold by Paul Components, Compass, Grand Bois. 67 year old design and still goes on high end bikes. Now you could believe that this is only possible because well-heeled clients have fallen into a fiendish trap set by the bike industry to kill off the last adherents of the old and the unsafe. Or it could be they are some good brakes.

When the Mafac brake appeared in 1951 it completely changed road racing. Descents were immediately much faster. When discs got into the peloton what happened was, um, not much. In fact while first day of the TdF most bikes had discs, by week three you had to look hard to find them. Any possible advantage was more than offset by slow wheel changes and bikes that rode and handled badly. Discs are a game changer off-road. On the road the best thing about them is the bike biz gets to sell you a complete new bike. No way to retrofit these to a bike you already own.
Old 11-14-18, 04:58 PM
Tourist in MSN

As for going over the handlebars there is a good discussion on that in Whitt and Wilson, Bicycling Science(MIT,1982). Basically it will not and does not occur if your center of gravity is where it should be on a bicycle. Only way to make it happen is to be seated entirely wrong. Or to run into something. If you smack a high curb head on, or a log on the trail or something like that of course you go over.
Mafac introduced their centerpull caliper brake in 1951. Versions of that brake are still being produced and sold by Paul Components, Compass, Grand Bois. 67 year old design and still goes on high end bikes. Now you could believe that this is only possible because well-heeled clients have fallen into a fiendish trap set by the bike industry to kill off the last adherents of the old and the unsafe. Or it could be they are some good brakes.

When the Mafac brake appeared in 1951 it completely changed road racing. Descents were immediately much faster. ...
You were not there when the car next to me very suddenly decided to make a lane change so she could make a right hand turn and I was about even with the car rear wheel when I saw the whole car consuming my lane in what seemed an instant, she completed the lane change in about 20 feet while braking hard so that she could make the turn. If I had not hit the brakes hard enough to go over the bars, I would have bounced off the car, hit the curb, and then into a lamp post. So, you can tell me it is my fault for being "seated completely wrong". But, you were not there.

The Mafacs however did not have a way to adjust the toe in. For the day, they were great. But by todays standards, not so much. I have the old Mafacs that were original on my early 1960s Italian bike (photo attached) but I decided I liked modern levers much more, so mixing some old with the new. I have some newer pads on it, not the old Mafac pad holders.

Old 11-14-18, 05:44 PM
djb

Basically it will not and does not occur if your center of gravity is where it should be on a bicycle. Only way to make it happen is to be seated entirely wrong. Or to run into something. If you smack a high curb head on, or a log on the trail or something like that of course you go over.
written by someone who has never endo'd.....

and as tourist pointed out, sometimes out in real life, stuff happens so fast that you dont get your body back in time to counter an endo.
Old 11-15-18, 04:58 AM
63rickert

djb and Tourist in MSN are presenting a view of cycling as Russian roulette. If you have decided that accidents are inevitable and must be frequent they will be.

i have enjoyed cycling for sixty years. Once, in a race, I broke a collarbone. That’s the complete accident report for 400,000 miles and a lifetime. If you want to ride a harder road you can. Golf might be a better choice.
Old 11-15-18, 07:36 AM
djb

djb and Tourist in MSN are presenting a view of cycling as Russian roulette. If you have decided that accidents are inevitable and must be frequent they will be.

i have enjoyed cycling for sixty years. Once, in a race, I broke a collarbone. That’s the complete accident report for 400,000 miles and a lifetime. If you want to ride a harder road you can. Golf might be a better choice.
hey there 63, nope not at all, I guess my meandering thoughts came across diff than what I intended, didnt mean to be melodramatic about accidents, but no worries.
I too have enjoyed cycling for over 50 years, being on two wheels is the love of my life, and have hardly ever gone down, no busted collarbone yet (touch wood touch wood, better get that in darn quick!)
Raced motorcycles a bit also and had a few offs, but again, touch wood, no serious injuries thankfully, but as in bicycle racing, accidents happen and are just part of the game with pushing limits and lots of other riders in close proximity.
I think Ive only endo'd once on pavement on a bicycle, but then goofing around in dirt and whatnot invariably ends up in little falls.

safe riding to all.

thats what we get for getting into a brake discussion eh?
Old 11-15-18, 08:42 AM
cyccommute 

You were not there when the car next to me very suddenly decided to make a lane change so she could make a right hand turn and I was about even with the car rear wheel when I saw the whole car consuming my lane in what seemed an instant, she completed the lane change in about 20 feet while braking hard so that she could make the turn. If I had not hit the brakes hard enough to go over the bars, I would have bounced off the car, hit the curb, and then into a lamp post. So, you can tell me it is my fault for being "seated completely wrong". But, you were not there.
63rickert is both right and wrong. I've endoed a number of times both on- and off-road, although on-road endos are rare. But one thing I do in all braking situations is to push back and down on the bicycle. It's a learned reflex and automatic and it has saved me from many more endos. It increases your deceleration which makes the stopping distance shorter and might prevent you from hitting that car. It won't prevent all accidents but it does help

Sorry but djb and Tourist in MSN aren't completely wrong. Anyone who bicycles should expect to crash once in a while. It's much more common off-road than on- but it is still an inevitability that can't be completely avoided. Tourist in MSN's experience is fairly common because we don't have complete control over everyone around us. I've been hit by a pedestrian, knocked off a bike by a fellow bicyclist who turned left instead of right, and been hit by a car that turned left in front of me. I couldn't have avoided any of those crashes, no matter how far back and down I got on the bicycle. Not even situational awareness would have prevent any of those accidents.

I've crashed more times than I can recall in all kinds of situations. Many of them are my own fault...pushing the envelope...but many of them are just events that happen that I have no control over. I've also avoided an infinite number of accidents more by being aware of the situation and knowing what to do to make the outcome better.

Last edited by cyccommute; 11-16-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-15-18, 11:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

Do not misinterpret my non-response to imply that I concur, I just choose not to respond.

Another name on the ignore list.
Old 11-16-18, 12:15 PM
63rickert

I’m an old guy. If I fall bones will break. Occasionally I ride with a couple of guys in their 80s. Falling is not on the program. Another ride companion has about 15% of normal bone mass. If he falls he probably dies. He can break ribs by sneezing. He’s also won some races recently. He hasn’t taken a fall for forty years. I’ve only gone twenty years. I ride every day.

Bikes are safe. Please be safe.
Old 11-16-18, 03:04 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
...Mafac introduced their centerpull caliper brake in 1951. Versions of that brake are still being produced and sold by Paul Components, Compass, Grand Bois...

When the Mafac brake appeared in 1951 it completely changed road racing. Descents were immediately much faster. When discs got into the peloton what happened was, um, not much. In fact while first day of the TdF most bikes had discs... Any possible advantage was more than offset by slow wheel changes and bikes that rode and handled badly. Discs are a game changer off-road. On the road the best thing about them is the bike biz gets to sell you a complete new bike.
You’re over-romanticizing things here. Yeah, the Mafacs were a huge improvement over the earlier really crappy, crude brakes they had before. That’s the way it goes. The longer things are around and get more refined, the less drastic the improvements. I’ve also ridden Mafac Racers on a couple of vintage bikes I’ve owned and they’re totally decent brakes. I’ve ridden many newer brakes that were worse. That doesn’t mean we should all be riding around on Mafacs and the only reason we aren’t is because of the big bad bike companies trying to sell us new bikes. Of course the companies you list selling the old Mafacs are boutique companies who tend toward quirky and vintage-y componentry. Don’t get me wrong, I love a lot of the stuff they make, but pointing out that a retro car shop still makes brakes for my old 46 Ford doesn’t mean those brakes stop a car as well as modern ones and the car companies are trying to sell us crap we don’t need. As for the TDF, they use the Best rim brakes produced, paired with the Best housing, Best levers, set up by the Best mechanics, etc, and I’m Certain they work better than regular people’s brakes. Most importantly, as you said, disks make for slower wheel changes. That alone was probably reason enough. I do think they probably only had them in the first place because the big companies wanted them too. I’m sure they knew ahead of time that their rim brakes made for faster wheel changes, etc. They also aren’t riding in the kind of conditions a lot of us are, though.
I’m not worried about fast wheel changes. I’m not running a $1,000+ brake set-up. I’m concerned with low maintenance and poor condition performance(when I’m more likely to have an issue where I need them). I say this keeping in mind I see zero reason for disk brakes on my road “race” bike. I have Dura-Ace rim brakes on it with nice levers and high end cable. It only gets ridden on sunny days with not much weight on it(I’m ~150lbs). It stops great. I don’t ride it as much as my daily or MTB, so hardly ever have to maintenance it.
That said, I’ll never bother having a daily rider/touring bike without disk brakes again. I wouldn’t be upset if I did, and V-brakes do stop me fine, but disks do so a little better and with no maintenance.
I’m running tubeless these days too. I put on a new tire and new brake pads, put the wheel on the bike, and never think about either again until they wear out. I turn a little clicky knob once in a great while to adjust my BB7 brake when the lever gets near the bars. Takes two seconds. It’s nice not checking and adjusting brake pads or dealing with flats. It gives me a little more time to tinker with new project bikes or other interests.
Old 11-16-18, 05:05 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed

You’re over-romanticizing things here. Yeah, the Mafacs were a huge improvement over the earlier really crappy, crude brakes they had before. That’s the way it goes. The longer things are around and get more refined, the less drastic the improvements. I’ve also ridden Mafac Racers on a couple of vintage bikes I’ve owned and they’re totally decent brakes. I’ve ridden many newer brakes that were worse. That doesn’t mean we should all be riding around on Mafacs and the only reason we aren’t is because of the big bad bike companies trying to sell us new bikes. Of course the companies you list selling the old Mafacs are boutique companies who tend toward quirky and vintage-y componentry. Don’t get me wrong, I love a lot of the stuff they make, but pointing out that a retro car shop still makes brakes for my old 46 Ford doesn’t mean those brakes stop a car as well as modern ones and the car companies are trying to sell us crap we don’t need. As for the TDF, they use the Best rim brakes produced, paired with the Best housing, Best levers, set up by the Best mechanics, etc, and I’m Certain they work better than regular people’s brakes. Most importantly, as you said, disks make for slower wheel changes. That alone was probably reason enough. I do think they probably only had them in the first place because the big companies wanted them too. I’m sure they knew ahead of time that their rim brakes made for faster wheel changes, etc. They also aren’t riding in the kind of conditions a lot of us are, though.
I’m not worried about fast wheel changes. I’m not running a $1,000+ brake set-up. I’m concerned with low maintenance and poor condition performance(when I’m more likely to have an issue where I need them). I say this keeping in mind I see zero reason for disk brakes on my road “race” bike. I have Dura-Ace rim brakes on it with nice levers and high end cable. It only gets ridden on sunny days with not much weight on it(I’m ~150lbs). It stops great. I don’t ride it as much as my daily or MTB, so hardly ever have to maintenance it.
That said, I’ll never bother having a daily rider/touring bike without disk brakes again. I wouldn’t be upset if I did, and V-brakes do stop me fine, but disks do so a little better and with no maintenance.
I’m running tubeless these days too. I put on a new tire and new brake pads, put the wheel on the bike, and never think about either again until they wear out. I turn a little clicky knob once in a great while to adjust my BB7 brake when the lever gets near the bars. Takes two seconds. It’s nice not checking and adjusting brake pads or dealing with flats. It gives me a little more time to tinker with new project bikes or other interests.
Really...??? How so..??? I just take the wheel off and when finished fixing the flat plunk it back in and on and way I go... Now with rim brake sometimes because of the fatter tires I actually needed to take off/move the brake pads thus needing to re adjust them when I put the wheel back, like I said I never needed to do anything with the disc brakes not even adjust them...
Old 11-16-18, 08:23 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
One thing missing is comparing wet/dirty rubber brake pads on a wet/dirty rim vs. dry/clean brake pads on a dry/clean rotor. Disc brakes excel at stopping in adverse conditions, which is when they are most needed. If you want real world comparisons, there is a link to a video posted earlier in this thread.
Exactly! In the rain, disc might mean the difference between a close call vs a damaged bike or even a trip to the hospital. One time on a loaded mountain descent thru heavy fog the rim brakes were near useless...I actually had to use a runaway truck ramp to stop. I switched ASAP to disc brakes.
Old 11-16-18, 09:42 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Really...??? How so..??? I just take the wheel off and when finished fixing the flat plunk it back in and on and way I go... Now with rim brake sometimes because of the fatter tires I actually needed to take off/move the brake pads thus needing to re adjust them when I put the wheel back, like I said I never needed to do anything with the disc brakes not even adjust them...
I’ve actually never had much problem with them, but some folks seem to have issues with them scrubbing and stuff. I do find I have to take more time lining up the disk to get it into the caliper compared to just dropping in the rim braked wheel. And the fact that they’d all be using hudraulic brakes could be disaster in a quick change situation. Somehow the brake lever accidentally gets bumped while the wheel is out and suddenly you have a compressed caliper, and that wheel isn’t going back in...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.