Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

All is not well on Dutch bike paths

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 02-06-19, 12:01 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts

I ran into this article about the problems on Dutch cycle paths caused by crowding and an increasingly complex mix of vehicles including electrics and cycle cars. See:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ycle-lane-hell

In related news the Stint electric has been banned and the company has filed bankrupcy.

https://newmobility.news/2018/10/29/...or-bankruptcy/

regards, joe

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 02-06-19 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Follow up
Old 02-06-19, 12:39 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
It was only a matter of time. 'Electric bike cars' with a top speed of 34 mph on the bike lanes along side folks going 12 mph? No wonder cyclist fatalities outnumber vehicle passenger fatalities for the first time.
Old 02-06-19, 12:48 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
In related news the Stint electric has been banned and the company has filed bankrupcy.

https://newmobility.news/2018/10/29/...or-bankruptcy/
Not surprised those things are banned from roads.

Old 02-06-19, 03:48 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
“Cycle lane hell.”

A headline that can only be written by someone who doesn’t ride a bike, let alone in European Netherlands.

”Traffic lane hell” on the other hand is a widespread problem. But that doesn’t make The Guardian, let alone A&S, cut.

(Exception. The continuing series of NOLA is hell “topics.”)

-mr. bill
Old 02-06-19, 06:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
NOLA isn't hell ... it's a War Zone.

But, yup ... if a nation wants to have bicycle infrastructure for serious transport bicyclists, it needs to have "bicycle only" bike roads. An MUP is just a sidewalk. And a four-foot-wide electric scooter travelling 30 mph isn't a bike, and doesn't belong there either. Not only is it too fast, it is too wide.

An e-bike would be fine---so long as it traveled at human-powered bicycle speeds. So now we are taking roads for cars, and bus lanes, sidewalks, and bike paths ... and where do cycle-cars go? How many cities have that much real estate to devote to transport?

And how much do people want to pay for enforcement?
Old 02-06-19, 07:09 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
I wouldn't want my child riding in one of those plastic death traps...... with a teenager driving it! No Way.
Old 02-06-19, 07:38 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

But, yup ... if a nation wants to have bicycle infrastructure for serious transport bicyclists, it needs to have "bicycle only" bike roads. An MUP is just a sidewalk. And a four-foot-wide electric scooter travelling 30 mph isn't a bike, and doesn't belong there either. Not only is it too fast, it is too wide.

An e-bike would be fine---so long as it traveled at human-powered bicycle speeds. So now we are taking roads for cars, and bus lanes, sidewalks, and bike paths ... and where do cycle-cars go? How many cities have that much real estate to devote to transport?

I don't see anyone cycling/pedaling these, things... ???
Old 02-07-19, 05:39 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
Their bike infrastructure has always been way too crowded for me, but I can see the issue of it becoming worse with electric bikes and all the other wheeled vehicles. I see a lot of electric bikes around here nowadays and the operators don't have a clue how to be a part of traffic, what's worse is now they got so much more speed behind their awful bike handling skills.

I'll keep to the roads...

Last edited by work4bike; 02-08-19 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 06:40 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5896 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

They don't want enforcement, just a few little corrections. This is just a police officer in panic because he doesn't have control over something that controls itself. He's living in the past, the idea that you should or can rule bicycle traffic like car traffic has been left by almost anyone who knows what he's talking about. Most clear example is probably 'All directions green', on a busy crossing with cars and bikes all the bikes get green at the same time while the cars weight and watch them work it out, which they do without any problems. No rules of priority there, just eye contact and improvisation.

City bicycle traffic is anarchy, it's made this way by anarchy over many decades. Even the Nazi's couldn't control it. It's not anarchy in the (wrong) sense that there are no norms. It's anarchy in the sense that the rules come from the bottom up, the people themselves without any authority. Dutch cycling traffic is ruled by unwritten rules much more than by written rules. The cyclists conquered their space from the cars themselves, law enforcement wasn't helpful then and it isn't needed now. Government just needs to facilitate, adjust infrastructure to the facts on the ground and do minor corrections. Law enforcement is for cars and mopeds, those are the ones that need to be ruled.

A few issues have occured lately:
- The 'slow' mopeds without mandatory helmets which were allowed in the cycling lane are particularly popular with boys in the risk taking age and a lot of them are tuned for much more speed. Cities have only just begun cracking down on that.
- The recent rise in cycling deaths is due to old people on E-bikes not realizing their reflexes have worsened too and don't have E-assist. Mostly one sided accidents with only a few years of life lost. Awareness is growing fast.
- Whatsapp has become a problem in the sense that it keeps people glued to the screen for much too long. Talking on the phone or just the odd text was never a problem, I've been using my phone on the bike since 1994, when it still drew attention. That's going tot be outlawed in a couple of months.
- Two weeks ago a judge has declared the Biro, a moped car, not a disabled vehicle that therefore can't be parked on the sidewalk or ride on the cycling lane anymore. It's mainly an Amsterdam issue, as owning a car in Amsterdam is not very practical and very expensive, people who can't cycle for physical reasons often rely on them. The Biro was also faster than the older ones and doesn't look pathetic so it drew another crowd.
- Amsterdam is probably the least cycling friendly city in the Netherlands. I like cycling there for the surroundings and for it's video game like rush but it's not particularly relaxed. It's got lots of cars, lots of assertive cabs, trams, buses, pedestrians, tourists who don't know what a cycling lane is, complicated shaped streets and crossings, tramlines and cargo bikes. There's a new left wing council that is going to decrease the number of cars.
- The tourists on bikes are also typically Amsterdam. They often can't properly handle a bike, they often don't know the written rules and have no idea about the existence of unwritten ones. Outlaw renting bikes to tourists and it would be much safer immediately. Predictability is what makes it work and people who don't know what they are doing are unpredictable. The new council is cracking down on cheap mass tourism too so that will get a bit better soon.

So yes it's busy and it will only get busier, but when a few corrections take effect it will get better again. All is not well, but no fundamental problems. Maybe the road cyclists who don't know how to behave themselves among traffic, they need some proper law enforcement.

Originally Posted by tyrion

I don't agree. They were very practical for transport of children from daycare to kindergarten and thins like that, usually 1 of 2 km distances over a cycle lane, much less fuss and the danger of vans and cars driving to and frome those locations with children waiting. Safer than walking too probably because no kid can stray onto the street. But a few things came together that caused it to be outlawed.
- Government standing back from rules and checks because of a right wing ideology and general incompetence to actually govern what needs to be governed.
- A very poor design on active safety. Not intuitive and not well thought through, like it was done by one autistic elektro engineer who doesn't drive or ride a bike.
- The accident with the train drew a very emotional response. Young children dead, two from the same family with their sister severly injured, the poor woman driving it has lost her legs. It was the biggest national tragedy since MH17 was shot over the Ukraine when it comes to how it was felt. The minister panicked and wanted to make up for lack of regulation and checks from the past.

I hope they will return with a proper design soon.

Last edited by Stadjer; 02-07-19 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 07:58 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I remember when I finished my 2000 bike tour with a 2 wk jaunt thru part of Holland. Not knowing better, I started out riding on the roads but was quickly put in my place by the honking drivers who wanted me on the bike paths. (I hadn't realized every road had an accompanying bike path.) Looks like riding on the road is now safer and less stressful in the beautiful country.
Old 02-07-19, 11:29 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I wouldn't want my child riding in one of those plastic death traps...... with a teenager driving it! No Way.
Those aren't teenagers. They look to be mid-20's to me. Irresponsibility and/or poor judgement are not confined to the teen years btw. That is mainly an American phenomena this total fear of anyone under 21, the worship of anyone between 21 and 35, mistrust of anyone over 35 and the absolute worthlessness of anyone over 45.
Old 02-07-19, 11:31 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
^^^ lol
Old 02-20-19, 03:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
It was only a matter of time. 'Electric bike cars' with a top speed of 34 mph on the bike lanes along side folks going 12 mph? No wonder cyclist fatalities outnumber vehicle passenger fatalities for the first time.
Easy to fix.

Limit assist speeds to 20 MPH (30 KPH?), and require manual input from pedaling a bicycle to kicking a scooter.

Progressive power from the user, so to go from 19 to 20 MPH, the user must put in over 90% of the power?

I suppose one could do that easily enough by limiting non-cargo bikes to say 100 watts. So, the motor can provide most of the propulsion at 10 MPH, but just isn't capable of maintaining 20 MPH under ordinary conditions.
Old 02-23-19, 03:23 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
ITT - people with no experience of actually living with an e-bike.
You are not going to get very far making the bike work hard.

In other news, robots are becoming an increasing problem for me. There are lots of hazards on the cycleway, particularly young children and dogs, but the delivery robots are random as hell. They dont keep to their side of the path, they don't manoeuvre smoothly, they're not predictable. And they're everywhere.
Old 02-23-19, 03:42 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Originally Posted by Stadjer
Not intuitive and not well thought through, like it was done by one autistic elektro engineer who doesn't drive or ride a bike.
Maybe throw black, female, gay and Down's syndrome in there too...?
Old 02-23-19, 03:43 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I'd give a lot of slack to a couple with 14 kids - so young too!
Old 02-23-19, 05:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
In other news, robots are becoming an increasing problem for me. There are lots of hazards on the cycleway, particularly young children and dogs, but the delivery robots are random as hell. They dont keep to their side of the path, they don't manoeuvre smoothly, they're not predictable. And they're everywhere.
Got any action pictures of this robotic menace?
Old 02-23-19, 09:07 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Got any action pictures of this robotic menace?
I don't go taking photos of them, weirdly. But here's a few photos from Google - obviously these are supposed to make them look good but trust me, they all collide together, they break down, they get stuck, and there can be ten of them in sight on the path in front of me. So roll your eyes no more..

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/z0rZBjJ5eKo/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DeXlTnv5MLA/maxresdefault.jpg

https://stores.org/wp-content/upload...80-702x336.jpg

https://fsmedia.imgix.net/e9/3e/12/0...51616ojpg.jpeg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11...3160405689.jpg

https://www.mk10local.co.uk/wp-conte...mk10-local.png

This one shows a stretch of path i regularly cycle on, you can see three on this hill and that's on a good day. I regularly have to use the grass, especially when they're playing chicken with me at the yellow posts...

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/RHPRM1/ped...nes-RHPRM1.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11...3160373483.jpg

Last edited by MikeyMK; 02-24-19 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Tried to add img tags, nothing on here working properly for me lately.
Old 02-24-19, 07:35 AM
mr_bill

That light stick is pathetic. Needs christmas tree.

https://www.ft.com/video/60ab7727-f9...7-13cfd770e5b7

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-24-19 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 08:06 AM
mr_bill

You can either request desktop site or click “source”.

-mr. bill

I don't go taking photos of them, weirdly. But here's a few photos from Google - obviously these are supposed to make them look good but trust me, they all collide together, they break down, they get stuck, and there can be ten of them in sight on the path in front of me. So roll your eyes no more..

This one shows a stretch of path i regularly cycle on, you can see three on this hill and that's on a good day. I regularly have to use the grass, especially when they're playing chicken with me at the yellow posts...

Old 02-24-19, 08:06 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
“If you make rules, you also have to think about their enforcement,” Van de Kamp said.
Love this statement. So true, but commonly ignored.
Old 02-24-19, 12:17 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

The quoted photos are showing, but mine still aren't, both Android One and Windows 10, never had issues before.

Anyway, just been to the shop, traffic quite light today but still four bots in this pic - complete with their amber beacons (all working!)

Old 02-24-19, 01:34 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Those aren't teenagers. They look to be mid-20's to me. Irresponsibility and/or poor judgement are not confined to the teen years btw. That is mainly an American phenomena this total fear of anyone under 21, the worship of anyone between 21 and 35, mistrust of anyone over 35 and the absolute worthlessness of anyone over 45.
At last! Something we brits and yanks have in common...
Old 02-24-19, 01:53 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5896 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Maybe throw black, female, gay and Down's syndrome in there too...?
My choice of words might have been a bit insensitive and I want to apologize for that, but I would never place blacks, gays and females in the same category as someone with a diagnosed handicap. I'm actually in support of autists doing regular jobs in regular companies, but you can't have a single minded elektro engineer be responsible for the whole safety design. Therefore you need someone with a broader view. This seems like a clear case of 'if you only have a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail'. Safety is not a elektrotechnical engineering issue, you've got to think about the person driving the thing.

They seem easy to tip over. Those tech people just need some external incentives sometimes to do a better job. These corporations have a habit of letting society deal with most of the burdens for free if people let them.

Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Love this statement. So true, but commonly ignored.
Yes, but you can also think about getting rid of rules and about rules that don't need enforcement.
Old 02-25-19, 10:44 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
They seem easy to tip over.
Not to me. CoG looks about right for the kinds of speeds these things are likely to see. But I am just getting up to speed here. WTF? What rock have I been under that this robapocalypse has come upon polite society without my notice! I'm thinking that, for now, North America remains robot free. Yeah, that's the ticket. I also think in a collision with an F-150, the truck would prevail? I'll also go out on a limb and suggest these things won't be running cyclists over either and if a cyclist manages to hit one it would be evidence the cyclist was inattentive, not the other way around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.