Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Comparing Brands for New Hybrid Bike (first actual bike purchase ever)

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 06:12 PM
blackbird123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, new here so take it easy please

I have decided to buy myself a new bike. The last bike I had was a hand-me-down and definitely had a number of issues I've been putting up with. It was a 1970 something Schwinn Super LeTour for those interested. So today I stopped by the local Specialized dealer and found the Specialized Sirrus line. I really liked the Specialized Sirrus Sport. (I cant post links because I'm new) The carbon fork seemed to make a big difference during the test ride. Overall, the bike feels pretty much perfect.

However, over the weekend I also stopped by the local Dicks, and found the Schwinn Signature Men's Super Sport Hybrid bike. (Again, sorry I can't post a direct link for everyone).

Now these two look pretty much identical to me. Does anyone have any experience with the Schwinn? Its $400 cheaper, but the only difference I can see with my amateur eyes is the cable pulled disk brakes.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-19, 03:01 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Hydraulic disc brakes are much nicer than mechanical ones, even the cheaper versions. Another obvious difference you mentioned yourself - the carbon fork on the Sirrus. And apart form that, the Schwinn has the lowest spec drivetrain; the Sirrus, while not high end, is certainly better and more up to date. It looks like the the Schwinn has freewheel instead of freehub, which is obsolete technology and basically not upgradable - you would have to replace the hub or whole wheel if you wanted to upgrade the drivetrain. So yes, the $400 price difference is well justified.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 04-02-19, 05:11 AM
Armyguy1914

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good morning everyone.
I also am a novice when it comes to mid to high end bikes. I went to my LBS and found that they carry Giant. There were the Roam 2 and the Roam 3. Difference in the two was Roam 2 had hydraulic brakes and 3 x 9 as the Roam 3 had mechanical brakes and 3 x 8. Well I'm getting my self use to these new terms. Roam 2 was $645 and Roam 3 was $510 .
Old 04-02-19, 05:22 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
As for the Schwinn vs. the Specialized, I agree with @subgrade on all accounts. The Specialized is a very different bike in terms of the quality of parts used. The brakes will be a big difference, but so will pretty much everything else (even things like grips and saddle). Even the handlebar -- the Schwinn uses the old 25.4mm clamp size whereas the Specialized very likely uses the larger 31.8mm clamp size -- you'll feel the difference when you ride it: the larger clamp size makes the handlebar area feel much stiffer (in a good way). You'll appreciate the quality of the Specialized if you choose that one.
Old 04-02-19, 08:29 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Welcome. Similar bikes I might suggest are the Trek FX, Giant Escape, and Fuji Absolute in addition to the Specialized you mentioned. There are multiple grades within each line with varying levels of components. Spending a little extra at a local bike shop will get you the service and adjustments not typically available at a big box store like Dick's. Ride as many as you can, and the right bike will find you.

Cheers!
Old 04-16-19, 02:01 PM
TheShanePedals

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have only tested Trek and Giant. I liked them both, the Trek FX2 was very lively and somewhat agile feeling (I typically ride a Specialized Allez road bike) despite having larger 35cm tires. When I cranked into it, the bike seemed to really respond well. The Giant Escape 3 I rode had a more "solid" feel to it on the road. Both were comfortable, but I am leaning towards the smoother and solid Giant as I am going to use it for a few longer fitness/fun rides. I will most likely also try 35cm tires on it in hopes of making it an even smoother ride.
Old 04-16-19, 06:06 PM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
I got the 700x35 tires on my FX2 and find them very smooth.
Old 04-18-19, 11:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Exclamation brands are commodities

I doubt Dicks has any skilled people in their Service department, I expect they dont even have a bike service department,

SO, for first bike and never had any before ... Go To A Proper Bike Shop.. It's a Service business ..

Schwinn of old is no more, that's why you see them in box stores , the brand name is all that's left
and it has resold a couple times.. already ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-18-19 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-18-19, 11:38 AM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
I agree. The really nice thing about using a bike shop, is they let you do a test ride. You can't tell much by just looking at a bike (especially us newbies). The shop I dealt with didn't try any hard sell or pressure me to make a purchase.

If you know someone whose an avid rider, ask questions as they can be a great source of information as well.

Most of the brands mentioned in this thread have really nice entry level bikes.
Old 04-22-19, 12:41 PM
TheShanePedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914
Good morning everyone.
I also am a novice when it comes to mid to high end bikes. I went to my LBS and found that they carry Giant. There were the Roam 2 and the Roam 3. Difference in the two was Roam 2 had hydraulic brakes and 3 x 9 as the Roam 3 had mechanical brakes and 3 x 8. Well I'm getting my self use to these new terms. Roam 2 was $645 and Roam 3 was $510 .
Good bikes both! If you can afford the upgraded components, you should do so. Yo will get better overall performance and longevity out of the bike. Also, sometimes between models like this you might see different wheels/tire combos that also can prove their worth over time. I got a Giant Escape @ my LBS and I absolutely love it. It's a bit sportier than the Roam series, but that was what I was after since I ride dedicated road bikes over long distance.
Old 04-22-19, 12:52 PM
TheShanePedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Mtl01
I agree. The really nice thing about using a bike shop, is they let you do a test ride. You can't tell much by just looking at a bike (especially us newbies). The shop I dealt with didn't try any hard sell or pressure me to make a purchase.

If you know someone whose an avid rider, ask questions as they can be a great source of information as well.

Most of the brands mentioned in this thread have really nice entry level bikes.
also about Bike Shops: some might even take an older bike on trade. Mine does as long as it's a decent/quality bike. they sell used bikes all the time...at least ones by name brands with decent components.
Old 04-25-19, 11:56 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I can only relay my experience as to the importance of getting the better bike in your price range. I bought a Quick 7 and rode it for months after having not ridden in many years and thought I had died and gone to heaven. I later learned of the improvement a carbon fork can have on the vibration felt in the hands and also wanted a higher gear for some additional speed. Bought a Quick 3 and now am looking at selling the 7 because I just do not ride it anymore. The difference is significant between a $500. dollar bike and a $900. dollar bike and well worth the cost in my case. Do what you can, the bikes you are looking at are good bikes, but buy the best you can afford to spend on a bike and you will not be sorry in the long run. If I had known from the start what a difference it would make moving up I could have spent the total amount and bought a carbon Quick 1. Just my .02.
Frank.

Last edited by Helderberg; 04-25-19 at 12:01 PM.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 04-25-19, 10:08 PM
HeatherIL
Heather IL

Bikes: 89 schwinn caliente, 2019 Cannondale Quick 5

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was kind of in a similar situation as you earlier this spring. I rode my old schwinn road bike for years. I recently bought a quick 5 and I love it. I also can't say enough good things about the bike store I bought it from. I think you'll be happier in the long run to buy the best bike you can afford and/or the one you find most comfortable from a bike store.