Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Custom Cycling Sandal maker?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 02:51 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Getting old and I have a temporary foot problem that needs attention (will be addressed in the Fall). Currently I can no longer wear my SIDI cycling shoes. Have purchased a pair of Shimano SH-SD 655 sandals that effectively are letting me ride again.

Problem, they are SPD style cleats and I can not locate any SPD-SL sandals to purchase. The SPD is creating a hot spot on my left foot and believe a wider platform cleat would be eliminate the current hot spot problem. The hot spot on the left foot was the reason I moved away from Mountain Bike Shoes in 2011.

The SH-SD 655 sandals have a semi stiff bottom, but are not spreading the support enough, I am using crankbrother's with a surrounding platform to provide support, as the regular one irritate the ball of my foot.

Any suggestions for a custom cycle shoe/sandal maker to let me spin the pedals for more than a few miles in what is left of the spring and summer?

JR
Old 04-06-19, 05:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
no, but...

# 1 find a custom sandal maker, and explain you need the sole thicker so the spud cleat has a recess to fit in....
had some shimano spud sandals , their rubber just deteriorated to nothing..

I gave up , went to platform pedals and my old birkenstocks..

Old 04-07-19, 07:53 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
If its a temporary problem just use some flat pedals and shoes? You can get BMX-style pedals pretty cheap ($15 for the plastic/reinforced nylon body ones) and use either tennis court or skateboard shoes with them (both have soles stiffer than most other styles of shoes). If you go back to clip-in pedals after surgery the shoes can be used as casual walking-around shoes, and the $15 spent on the pedals is a cheap cost to be able to cycle during the summer. Of maybe you'll like the flat pedals and shoes; I use flat pedals and tennis court shoes myself, I see no need to use a clip-in shoe/pedal system.
Old 04-07-19, 08:31 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
If I'm understanding the OP correctly, maybe a regular SPD pedal would work at relieving the hot spot with those sandals, if it were one of the wide platform-style SPD pedals that would distribute the pressure over a wider area.

Old 04-15-19, 10:18 AM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
If I'm understanding the OP correctly, maybe a regular SPD pedal would work at relieving the hot spot with those sandals, if it were one of the wide platform-style SPD pedals that would distribute the pressure over a wider area.

I am using this platform

This is still not providing enough support...